• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    It's not just IUPUI guys. Wilson St. garage is frequently used by Riley and Wishard employees, patients, and patient's families. It is also not a "deserted garage".

For those railing against IUPUI, this is correct. The article is misleading by making it sound as if this is an "on-campus" incident. This garage is surrounded on 2 sides by Wishard and 2 sides by Riley.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It's an important question. If the university doesn't own the garage then they can't kick you out of school for a gun in your car. That's pretty damn big.

It's owned by IU but it is a paid garage for Wishard and Riley visitors, it sits right off 10th St and no where near academic buildings. IU Police is responsible for its security.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    It's owned by IU but it is a paid garage for Wishard and Riley visitors, it sits right off 10th St and no where near academic buildings. IU Police is responsible for its security.

Well then, they have every right to deny students the right to arm themselves with the threat of expulsion. However, doesn't the state law granting employees the right to carry in their vehicle exempt faculty? Looks like to me the law only excludes schools - not universities.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well then, they have every right to deny students the right to arm themselves with the threat of expulsion. However, doesn't the state law granting employees the right to carry in their vehicle exempt faculty? Looks like to me the law only excludes schools - not universities.
    Universities are post secondary learning and are exempted from the law.
    IC 34-28-7-2
    Regulation of employees' firearms and ammunition by employers
    Sec. 2. (a) Notwithstanding any other law and except as provided in subsection (b), a person may not adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that:
    (1) prohibits; or
    (2) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.
    (b) Subsection (a) does not prohibit the adoption or enforcement of an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition:
    (5) in or on property belonging to an approved postsecondary educational institution (as defined in IC 21-7-13-6(b));

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    It's an important question. If the university doesn't own the garage then they can't kick you out of school for a gun in your car. That's pretty damn big.
    Not really. They have the right to expel or terminate any associated person as they see fit if they don't comply with their set rules. Whether they own the property or not.

Our tax money goes to fund such schools quite a bit, but they don't make public (typically) or track (that I've heard of) where EXACTLY that specific money goes. It just goes into their spending account and gets spent wherever it's needed more than likely. A lot of the buildings at IUPUI were city buildings which were contributed to the school to improve the area. What amount of money if any ever exchanged hands for the acquisition is anybody's guess. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Universities are post secondary learning and are exempted from the law.
    IC 34-28-7-2
    Regulation of employees' firearms and ammunition by employers
    Sec. 2. (a) Notwithstanding any other law and except as provided in subsection (b), a person may not adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that:
    (1) prohibits; or
    (2) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.
    (b) Subsection (a) does not prohibit the adoption or enforcement of an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition:
    (5) in or on property belonging to an approved postsecondary educational institution (as defined in IC 21-7-13-6(b));

Yup - see that now. You are correct. Looks like they are exempt from the law. That means it's their choice. Obviously they - like everyone else - has opted for the gun free zone tactic.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Our tax money goes to fund such schools quite a bit, but they don't make public (typically) or track (that I've heard of) where EXACTLY that specific money goes. It just goes into their spending account and gets spent wherever it's needed more than likely. A lot of the buildings at IUPUI were city buildings which were contributed to the school to improve the area. What amount of money if any ever exchanged hands for the acquisition is anybody's guess.

As far as IU (and likely the other public universities), about 1/3rd of any given years incoming money is from the state. The rest is from tuition, room and board fees, federal/state grants, money from donations (which could be direct or pass through various foundations), and some other sources. A lot of buildings at IUPUI were not city buildings. IUPUI, administered by the trustees of IU, with Purdue funding a portion for the Purdue degrees, built many of the buildings themselves. There may have been one or two city buildings over time, as well as privately owned and state owned, but many of those buildings have been bulldozed and are no longer standing.

As far as guns on campus, all I can say is to keep putting pressure on elected reps. The colleges take a good % of the state budget, every taxpayer has a say given that fact.

mwmroll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My one and only "incident" was when I was walking from class at IUPUI back to monument circle. Middle of the day I had a group of fellas follow me several blocks until I finally went into a coffee shop to see avoid an incident. Mind you I was carrying at the time. Too many people think IUPUI is such a safe campus when its just like anywhere else. You never know when your going to need your "seatbelt."

Top Bottom