• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Woman robbed in IUPUI parking garage

IU Police at Indianapolis have issued a Crime Alert after a visitor reported she was robbed in the Wilson Street Garage Sunday morning.

The victim was struck and knocked to the ground about 5 a.m. in the IUPUI parking lot at 811 N. Wilson Street.
    She described the suspect as a white male 5' 10" 140 lbs 50 yr old wearing a grey sweat shirt, dirty blue jeans short or balding hair. No weapon was seen.
    The victim sought treatment at a hospital before reporting the crime to police.
    For safety try not to travel alone and use the Safewalk service if possible.
    Go with your instincts, but be realistic about your ability to fight off someone; your instinct may be to run, scream, kick, hit or bite. However you decide to respond, be sure you do so with full commitment of your effort.
    Try to remember as many details as possible and alert Police as soon as possible. Your goal should be to escape safely and survive.

I lose track of how many incidents this is in the IUPUI area lately. My goal is always to escape safely and survive - THAT'S WHY I CARRY!

miborovsky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2011
    Vomiting is for getting raped. For a simple robbery, it's only acceptable to expectorate forcefully at the attacker.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Not to encouraging. My wife goes to IUPUI. I would prefer she not have this happen. She has her own handgun, but not her license. Don't think you can carry on campus anyway, but my just have to get her pepper spray or an extendable baton or something.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It pays to be vigilant wherever you are. If I could help it, I would never allow a person within arms reach of me....actually, not even near that close, especially in a deserted parking garage. I would hang back and observe the person and possibly be late to wherever I am going rather than that.

If he snuck up from behind....well, situational awareness, head on a swivel. How is it that soemone can sneak up from behind...doesn't happen to me easily. Came around a corner and there he was? A little tactical training comes in handy- do not put yourself so close to a corner that you can not at least have some sight around it and can be approached so closely without warning. Many people think sticking close to a wall is a good idea when they are unsure of the situation. Personally, I'm a fan of open spaces where I can see around me. There are always exceptions and you can't predict every situation, but taking every step you can to be aware and having no hidden areas along your route, can usually, but not always, be accomplished.

In sum, being nervous enough to be vigilant and head the other direction until you are more sure of the situation is a good thing. Being nervous that you will offend some stranger in a parking garage is a bad thing. Being so nervous that you aren't thinking and observing is a very bad thing. Not being nervous at all and being oblivious may be the worst thing of all.

I'm 6'3", and a fairly imposing figure with a modicum of training who is frequently armed.....and I seek to avoid exposure to questionable situations wherever I can. How much more should someone who is, perhaps, less well equipped to meet threats, be ready to head the other way?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    College students should be allowed to carry.
    Everyone is suppose to be an adult by then.

Campus Carry has been tried twice, second time just a couple months ago:

Ind. pursues bill to allow guns on college campuses

Time after time there are articles just like this one at IUPUI...AGAIN...yet it doesn't seem important that people have the ability to defend themselves on college campuses. SO.....we'll keep having these instances in gun free zones as dictated by the colleges, not state law, and people will continue to get hurt or killed. Students run the risk of expulsion if they're caught with a weapon in the car much less on their person.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Risk of Expulsion vs Death...........................Mmmm, hard choice.

School is just temporary but death is forever. :(

Conceal means conceal.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Risk of Expulsion vs Death...........................Mmmm, hard choice.

School is just temporary but death is forever. :(

Conceal means conceal.

You may think differently when it's four years of unpaid debt and four very HARD years labor down the S&*TTER if you are kicked out. I wouldn't schedule early or late classes and keep my Situational Awareness and witts about me and survive with my diploma and a way to pay off the debt.

It sucks that universities put our kids in that position, but it's their house - their rules.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I did it at UofL back in the day. It wasn't very safe then either. But, I kept my wits, didn't do anything risky, and always had a back up plan. It sucked eggs, but I made it through.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Trust me I know - I taught at 2 Universities and 1 collage while carrying and keeping those jobs were very important in my life. They had the same rules for the staff as well.

Signed and documented contracts. :(

jgoeden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    It's not just IUPUI guys. Wilson St. garage is frequently used by Riley and Wishard employees, patients, and patient's families. It is also not a "deserted garage".

I do agree we all need to have continuous SA, but nobody knows what really happened. It's an open campus, with Wishard, Uni and Riley all attached. We get all walks of life in and out of there.

I work at Riley on nights (7p-7a) and about every 2 months or so am approached in the cafeteria area by homeless guys begging for money.

Top Bottom