• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    So long as you can consume at least one adult beverage in the time it takes to mow; the yard is not too small...

The problem at my house would be a 42" mower wouldn't fit through the fence gates and around some landscaping areas.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    41"

I think my deck is about that size, and the yard is 2/3 acre total (minus the house, garage, driveway, mini-barn, coop, garden. etc....). A smaller mower would work, but take too long. I'm not sure a larger mower would really save me much, as it would take as long to go around everything (trees, landscaping, etc...).

Google has lots of advice. Here is one:
    riding-mower-buying-guide-inline-lawn-chart.jpg

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Here's the deal...bought a house and the previous owner used a 42" mower...I either need to buy a 6.5hp+ push mower or a riding mower.

Dad lent me his 6.5hp lawn boy but it keeps dying, and I'm very quickly getting tired of borrowing people's mowers. I can't decide between riding mower and push mower

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    My neighbors have a 42inch and their lot is 0.14 acre. They are older and didn't want to push mow it.

BTW, that tractor is good for towing a yard cart etc and maybe plowing snow depending on what you buy.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    My neighbors have a 42inch and their lot is 0.14 acre. They are older and didn't want to push mow it.

BTW, that tractor is good for towing a yard cart etc and maybe plowing snow depending on what you buy.

Other uses besides mowING is also what I'm considering

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    And my property is just over a quarter of an acre

My son and I did the lawn at our old house, .23 acres, with a 22" wide 6hp mower from Sears for 15 years (me, the first 12 years). It worked fine and took about an hour + string trimming every other week.

At my present house, 2.3 acres, about 2.1 acres lawn, we use a 48" wide hydrostatic lawn tractor. I guess we're just about compliant with the chart above. I will never be without a hydrostatic drive tractor again.

For you, if you really want to ride, I would suggest a dedicated lawn mower rather than a tractor, unless you need the versatility of a tractor. Something like this:

13A226JD010_product_detail_large.png

CubCadet - CC 30 Rider

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Another issue to consider is maneuverability of your mower/lawn tractor in and around your yard. Consider trees, flower beds, and other obstacles around which you'll have to drive this thing. You may spend so much time 3-point turning or trying to turn around stuff, it may not be worth it. Also, what about hills? If your lawn is on a hillside, that might change affect your decision. But if the previous owner did it with a 42" mower, sounds like these won't be a problem.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Another issue to consider is maneuverability of your mower/lawn tractor in and around your yard. Consider trees, flower beds, and other obstacles around which you'll have to drive this thing. You may spend so much time 3-point turning or trying to turn around stuff, it may not be worth it. Also, what about hills? If your lawn is on a hillside, that might change affect your decision. But if the previous owner did it with a 42" mower, sounds like these won't be a problem.

would pictures help?

Top Bottom