• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The link doesn't work. XS is considered a good brand.

Upside: Great for quick target acquisition in a combat situation.
    Downside: Sights are too large to be great for target shooting.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    pudly pretty much summed it up.

I run Big Dots on my carry Glock 19 and find they are very fast on target, and very obvious when trying to acquire a sight picture.

However, they will not make nice tiny groups when target shooting.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    ...they are very fast on target, and very obvious when trying to acquire a sight picture.

However, they will not make nice tiny groups when target shooting.

DITTO.

I run an XS Big Dot front sight and V-groove Express rear sight on a Hi-Power. Fast to get on target but really more of a personal defense sight system than a target sight system.

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    Have xs big dot sights on an xd9sc. Agree that they are a defensive sight system. Am very happy with them. Certainly not for fine target shooting.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I run them on my G19 as a self defense sight. But I have been using them in IDPA with great results. The target guys use to laugh at me for my funny looking sights and they also told me they were not for target shooting or IDPA. Kind of funny those are the guys I beat the crap out of last month. But it is a preference thing a lot of people don't like them but then again I do so who cares. Run what you like but don't believe it when someone tells you they aren't for target or games.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I run them on my G19 as a self defense sight. But I have been using them in IDPA with great results. The target guys use to laugh at me for my funny looking sights and they also told me they were not for target shooting or IDPA...
    Correct me here but I have a few observations of IDPA. First, most of the shooting is at short range, 7 to 15 yards. Second, IDPA is a game designed to simulate defensive pistol use. So therefore IDPA is reasonably close to defensive, short range, shooting.

So if people say that the XS Big Dot sights are ideal for defensive use, and if you say you are having good results in IDPA with them, then are you not simply agreeing with them because IDPA is a simulation of defensive pistol shooting? :popcorn:

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I tried them on my 19 for a while. I think they are decent sights but prefer the Trijicons and went back to them. :twocents:

matthewdanger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    I am not a big fan but I guess they have a place. The arguments for and against are well documents on the web.

They may work well up close and it may also be true that most defensive shootings happen at nearly arms length but I have found that sights like the excellent Warren Tactical, 10-8, and Heinie offerings are just as fast but more versatile by virtue of their ability to be stretched to greater distances.

Thankfully, I don't have to approve everyone's choice of pistol sight. :)

runandgun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Thanks for all the input everyone. Just to let you know, I am not concerned about precision target shooting at this time.

I am concerned about how fast I can draw from my holster, acquire a target 5 to 20 yards away and put multiple accurate shots into a kill zone.

So from the feedback it sounds like these might be worth a try. Thanks again.

Top Bottom