• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    XDm= JUNK? - not at all it just needs proper LUBE!

:xmad:

Boy am I NOT happy. I finally find a semi-auto pistol that fits my tiny hobbit-hands and now after a little more than a year not one but TWO of my 3 XDms are broken-ass pieces of unreliable JUNK! After this mess I've pretty much lost faith in the third XDm. I just CAN'T TRUST 'em anymore!

I have 3 XDms. An all black 9mm 3.8 compact bought July of last year. Last week at the range at exactly the 500 round mark (I keep a spreadsheet of ALL rounds fired) it began with the FTFs....and then FTE...and it was one after the other. :xmad: THAT gun is currently back at SA getting fixed. I shipped it off last Friday.

Then TODAY my Stainless/OD full size XDm 9mm started exactly the same thing at the 605 round mark. I have tested with different lots and brands of ammo (all factory ball) with the same results. In fact I even used the same mags/ammo lots in my last remaining functional XDm (3.8 stainless compact) and they work fine in it SO FAR. :dunno:

I haven't called SA yet on the OD XDm...but that is what will have to happen. I am seriously considering getting it fixed and then selling ALL THREE. I guess it's time to drink the Glock Kool-Aid and by myself a couple of G19s. Pics below can be clicked for larger version. I took all these with my iPhone today - and keep in mind these are NOT the same FTEs and FTFs from different angles these are ALL different rounds! The blurring on the slide is where I Photoshopped out my serial number.

:popcorn:

jamxdm.jpg

jamxdm2.jpg

jamxdm3.jpg

jamxdm4.jpg

jamxdm5.jpg

EDIT: It turns out this was all caused by insufficient lubrication which I go into detail about on page 8 of this thread. Link below if you wanna skip ahead:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/234295-xdm_jammamatic_junk-8.html

Last edited:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    The bi-tones are known to do that. Must have been a mistake on the all-black ;)

Sorry, I just had to :)

Have you talked to Springfield about the diagnostics of the first one you sent in? I'd be interested in knowing what they find. I've been at shoots where they've done more rounds than that in an afternoon with no trouble. I guess you could just have bad luck to have two go down at such a close interval?

On the Glock topic - have you tried the new Gen 4 with the different backstraps? I don't have gigantic hands and while I can shoot a Gen 3 without trouble, the Gen 4 is significantly more accurate in my hands..

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    My XD-m 9mm has and still has FTE (stovepipe) issues. Called SA and they sent new ejector rod & spring. That reduced it but didn't stop it.

I went back and re-cleaned the parts in the upper slide, focused on the ejector clip area and will see (haven't sampled yet) if it's any better.

Also, I think I'll get new springs and followers for my magazines. After that, it will got back to SA if the trouble continues. I also thought maybe magazine related, but I set aside and still had issues with another. Ive got seven magazines with various round count thru each. I have noticed the followers getting a "groove" in them, hence the request to replace.

BTW, I've got over 3,000 rounds thru the XDm.

Any other things to look at (inquiring minds want to know)????

Last edited:

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Hmmmm. I own 2 full size XDm's. One all black and one stainless. I have around 1000 rnds through both with only one FTF out of either one. How old are these guns?

All 3 were bought new last year. The full-size was a new gun purchase (Buds Gunshop)...but the gun was built in 2009 (this from the test brass date-stamp).

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Have you tried different magazines?

Yes, I have 7 of the 13round mags and ALL were tried in the black compact and all failed to work right. They all functioned fine in the bi-tone compact with the same ammo even.

As far as the full-size and the 19 rounder - I have 6 of those mags and two of those goofed up today in the OD gun. I took those 2 mags and used them in my bi-tone compact and they also worked fine.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    man should have went with the M&P's instead ,
    in all seriousness they have the nice adjustable backstrap for even the most hobbit-y of hands

I tried those in the store. With the smallest back it felt OK....but the XDm felt a bit closer. I believe if you look up the critical spec dimensions you'll see that the XDm is the shortest back to trigger face of all the double-stack 9mms out there. That's why I went with 'em.

And I tell ya at this point I'm kinda thinking - why try ANOTHER Glock copy? May as well just get the Real Deal if I have to switch guns again. The G19 grip is a hair fatter than the XDm too unfortunately.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    From what I've seen (specs and feeling) the G36's grip is no thinner than the G19s.....so although I love the .45 caliber too I'd just as soon have MORE 9mm on tap if the package is the SAME size in my hand.
    I've always found it slimmer from side to side, but thicker front to back.

I was mainly just making sure you had the right information, though. I'm a G19 addict too.

Top Bottom