• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bksboiler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I have both, to qualify I've got one of the first XDs that came out. Two things that you might want to consider. The XD has the "beavertail" safety, while the M&P doesn't also the M&P has the grip inserts that can be fitted to your hand. When I bought my M&P I didn't think that would be a big deal, but I really liked the fact I could adjust.

I also think the M&P is slimmer in profile than the XD. I like both, but give the choice again, if I was making an either/or decision, I'd lean toward the M&P

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    m&p. I just can't get over the fact that xD mags can be inserted backwards...who would do such a stupid thing you ask? I could imagine under a high stress situation, bobbling a reload and having the mag turn around in your hand may not be too hard to do. Once inserted like that it takes 2 people to get it out...not good in a gun fight.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Two words: "M" and "P".

Those are letters my friend ;)

I'd go XD. You know why, though?

It fits better in my hands. And the M&P is chunky to me :dunno:. I have a friend with some very nice M&P Pro's that I also like; but the same friend hates XD's.

To each their own - you need to hold them both, try to familiarize yourself with the controls with a couple/few minutes crash course in-store somewhere and make sure it's what you really want.

Good luck!

m&p. I just can't get over the fact that xD mags can be inserted backwards...who would do such a stupid thing you ask? I could imagine under a high stress situation, bobbling a reload and having the mag turn around in your hand may not be too hard to do. Once inserted like that it takes 2 people to get it out...not good in a gun fight.

Damn, that sucks! Can't say with the three XD's I've had that I ever inserted one backward - however I've never had to do an emergency magdump; or a "regular" magdump at that either.

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Can you be any more specific? What are your personal requirements? How do you judge pistols?

Here are some answers from another recent and similar question.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/231256-m_and_p_or_xdm.html

Requirement wise, I dont really have any. Im not really picky about guns. I would like it to be full sized also.

I just want a gun that feels good in my hand. Has a nice smooth short trigger and shoots well.

thanks for the input everyone

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    No one has stated bore axis yet...the XD has a much higher bore asix which can turn into more muzzle flip and felt recoil, which in turn will effect follow up shots. That can be taken care of with a good grip, but life isnt perfect all the time and sometimes you cant get a perfect grip in the middle of the sh*t storm. I also dont care for grip safeties except on 1911s. Allthough I will say the XD shoots very very well in the accuracy department, even the 3.8". The factory sights are better on the M&P too IMO.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I have debated this for awhile. I ended up getting the XD-9. Its a great gun and I shoot great with it also. I like the feel, the trigger could leave a little to be desired but still a nice all around gun.

On the other hand I want to trade my XD for a M&P, because I think the XD feels good, but the m&p is great! There is just something about the m&p that I cant shake. I like the xd and I feel like Im not giving it a fair shot but I still would trade the xd for an m&p in a heartbeat. and I dont really know why, never shot the m&p either.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Forgot to add that I believe the XD has a better out of the box trigger over the M&P, but the M&P trigger can be fixed and replaced to a pretty bad a** trigger, but you pay for it (I can do this at Profire ;) )...overall I like the M&P more, better ergos too IMO.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have debated this for awhile. I ended up getting the XD-9. Its a great gun and I shoot great with it also. I like the feel, the trigger could leave a little to be desired but still a nice all around gun.

On the other hand I want to trade my XD for a M&P, because I think the XD feels good, but the m&p is great! There is just something about the m&p that I cant shake. I like the xd and I feel like Im not giving it a fair shot but I still would trade the xd for an m&p in a heartbeat. and I dont really know why, never shot the m&p either.

If you like it that mich before shooting one, then chances are you will love it after, trust me! Then go buy an HK and be done with both ;)

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I personally would go with the M&P, I held one and it was all over with. I just love the way it feels in the hand. Plus i like not having the grip safty.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Damn, that sucks! Can't say with the three XD's I've had that I ever inserted one backward - however I've never had to do an emergency magdump; or a "regular" magdump at that either.
    I have tried it and it is BS. I could only get the mag in about an inch before it was tight. I suppose you could hammer it in and then it would take a coule people to take it back out. It didn't work with my XD45 Service or the wifes XDm40.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have an XDm-40 and have nothing but good to say about it. I'm not as gun-worldly as some of the others here as, but I'd say either will serve you well. I've held but never shot an M&P...pick the one you like the best and if you can try them, which one you can shoot the best.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have both, and both triggers SUCK. Either way, you'll need a new trigger. You have 3 big players in the XD world for triggers (Springer Precision, Powder River, and Canyon Creek). Really only one for the M&P (Apex), but with great result. Factory sights on the XD are horrible but are much improved on the XDm series, although I always end up switching them out anyways. I really don't like the plastic articulating trigger on the M&P. It reminds me of the horrible sigma series pistols and it just feels cheap to me. I traded it out for an Apex and it feels 1000% better.

Reliability wise, both have been great for me, although I have a way more rounds through the XD as it is my production gun. The only 2 issues I have ever had with it through 10-15k rounds were user error: improperly resized case (when I was new to reloading) and not properly cleaning the firing pin channel (if you shove gunk into the hole, you end up with light primer strikes, go figure). I bought the M&P after many many mistakes made and learned from, so it has been more or less spoiled.

The XD has a little more of a blocky feel just from the overall shape of the slight where the XDm and M&P have chambered the sides of the slide. While it probably isn't really all that much thinner, if any, it gives the optical illusion that it is. But if that makes you feel better inside, then so be it. But when I shoot the XD, it just has this SOLID feel to it. That in combination with my grip, I have very positive response and my Dawson front sight seems to just fall right back onto my target. It have a very natural point of aim for me. I recently bought the XDm 5.25 Competition. It was a much softer shooting pistol, but just felt too different that what I was used to.

If I were to do it all over again, I would find the cheapest XD9 tactical OR M&P9 Pro, and then pour the money I saved by buying it used into the trigger, sights, mags, etc that I would need to compete.

Ah, one more thing. As far as the grip, the XD is a little slicker. I guess my hands sweat in the heat of competition and it constantly wanted to work loose. I have some skateboard tape I used to solve it and is great now. The M&P feels like it would have a little more texture, but I haven't put it into that kind of environment yet either.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I have tried it and it is BS. I could only get the mag in about an inch before it was tight. I suppose you could hammer it in and then it would take a coule people to take it back out. It didn't work with my XD45 Service or the wifes XDm40.

Ive seen it done at the range during an IDPA match. Sucked for the guy that did it cuz it took him and his buddy quite some time yanking on there to get the thing out. My brother has a xd in .40, I can get a mag inserted backwards pretty easily. I have never tried fully inserting it because I am not that big of a d*ck.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I just want a gun that feels good in my hand. Has a nice smooth short trigger and shoots well.

If you want a short and smooth trigger, DAO isn't the way to go. I've been checking out a lot of these lately and I've yet to find one with a trigger that I actually like on these. Some are gritty, some are heavy, and some are just all day suckers. You start pulling the trigger at 3am and at noon it goes bang...

Top Bottom