• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    My Xbox won't read any discs except DVD s, more than likely its probably a CDrom drive. But before I spend the $100 and send it to Microsoft to get fixed. Do you guys have any ideas or quick solutions?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Should have gotten a PS3.

I have a 360 but wanted to be like one of the Apple d-bags that always have to post how you bought the wrong piece of equipment even if it has nothing to do with the thread.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    My 360 did that before. My advise is pay the 100$ and get microsoft to fix it. That way if it happens again in the next year its still under warranty.

Get a PS3 too though :D

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Send it in. I'm on number 7. That's typically an early sign of the RRoD. What's the MFG date? If it's within 3 years fill out the warranty as an intermittent RRoD and will not read discs when it works.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Send it in. I'm on number 7. That's typically an early sign of the RRoD. What's the MFG date? If it's within 3 years fill out the warranty as an intermittent RRoD and will not read discs when it works.

WOW.:n00b:

I've had the same 360 since right around when they came out and it gets used very often...I guess I just got lucky.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    WOW.:n00b:

I've had the same 360 since right around when they came out and it gets used very often...I guess I just got lucky.

I'm on my 5th but Best Buy has (or at least had) a fairly liberal return/exchange policy if you had the extended warranty. 1st one was shipped with a bad hard drive, 2nd one the fan started going out in a few months, 3rd had a very loud drive and even louder fan, 4th same as 3rd, 5th has been fine for a couple years.

painmerchant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    clarksville
    Make sure that you keep your console laying flat as opposed to setting up on one end. otherwise it blocks part of the ventilation and wears out your laser alot faster due to the disc being able to flop around in the tray. I only use my ps3 to watch blurays.

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    Lemme guess, you put the disc in, it spins, then the xbox just shows open tray on screen, like there is no disc in it? If so, open the disc tray, put the disc in close it, then thump the top of box (large flat top) right on top of the disc reader until it either acknowledges the game or stops spinning. If it does not work try different frequency and hardness levels. I have to use my heel (its near the floor) and thump slowly.

The good news is (at least on my unit) that you only have to do this once per reboot ( I leave mine on quite a bit).

bmmyers08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Danville
    i have to agree with alot of people on this thread...sell the xbox get what you can outta it and get a ps3 that you wont have to worry about takin a crap on you. just my opinion but it seems to happen a lot!!!

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    Another cheap fix for any type of CD drive is a brush disc. All it is is a disc with a few brushes attached to it. Can get one for a few bucks at the store. All you do is pop it in and let it clean the laser reader lens. I've used mine on dvd players and game consoles when I thought the drive was toast.

Here's an example: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Playtech-Xbox-360-DVD-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B004W3L8U2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1321042365&sr=1-3[/ame][ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000P24DMY/ref=asc_df_B000P24DMY1777956?ie=UTF8&condition=new&tag=nextagusmp0351325-20&creative=395165&creativeASIN=B000P24DMY&linkCode=asm"][/ame]

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I'll stick with Microsoft. Their server still hasn't been shutdown for...over a month...by hackers and my credit card/debit info stolen.

+1 to a paid network

Glock_Man_21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Avon
    My son still has his original 360 from when they first came out and never had any problems with it. Only bought him the newer model cause is WiFi.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    My son got the red ring of death on his before it was even a year old. We sent it back to Microsoft & they fixed it. He hasn't had any other issues with it in the three years since. But he also spends most of his time now gaming on the PC or on the PS3.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    just upgraded mine to the slim model. Game Stop had a deal (don't know if it is still on or not). They would give you $100 in trade for your old xbox, plus a
    $75 gift card for future purchases. I was already going to spend 50-80 on a new hard drive, so I upgraded to the slim w/ 250gb halo reach fable 3, controller and headset for 125. They will also stick you for $19 refurb fee. This was my 2nd box (rrod replacement) and the disk would fail to read sometimes.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    take it apart and blow it out use alcohol on a swab to clean the lens on the laser it worked on my 16 year olds machine he looked it up on line took about a half hour

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    Get a ps3 if you don't like playing multiplayer. Their network works when it's not hacked or down for maintanence. If its out or warranty, open it, find the drive you have and order one off eBay. If it is, send it in. that way you keep your warranty. But a brushing disc is always a good option before you do either.

Top Bottom