Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Really cool video (sorry if a dupe):

INFANTRY WEAPONS AND THEIR EFFECT

Shows virtually all the weapons and ammunition used by the US Army in WWII. 30 cal. carbine, 30 cal. machine gun, 50 cal. machine gun, hand grenades, rifle grenades, anti tank grenades, anti tank rockets, 60mm mortar, 81mm mortar, 37mm armor piercing rounds, etc. Starts with a 45mm pistol and how it works on a German helmet

I love the 45 denting a steel helmet, a .30 carbine punching through it, and a .30-06 punching through a tree and then through it! Good stuff.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Those old training films were kind of hokey and full of propoganda, but they sure are interesting to watch. Thanks for posting this.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Hmmm, kinda reminds me of the films we watched in Air Force medic school (circa 1984) showing all the Communist weapons and the 'wound effects". Vietnam era film produced by the Army. Think we had about 5 people fall out of class during that film. Probably don't show it nowadays, not "politically correct".

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Thanks for the link!!! Saved the movie to my hard drive...I've got a whole bunch of WWII newsreels and movies that I need to convert and get burned to DVD.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I like that in WW2 we didn't mince words. They were all about calling Nazi's Nazi's. And all about Killing them.

None of this "Enemy Combatant" bull@#$@#

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    W9ZEB totally agree that they use to STRAIGHT TALK back then and not sugar coat it with BS PC like they do now-a-days. That .30 carbine sure is sweat but liked the next riffle better. It was an M1 Gran??? right?

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    W9ZEB totally agree that they use to STRAIGHT TALK back then and not sugar coat it with BS PC like they do now-a-days. That .30 carbine sure is sweat but liked the next riffle better. It was an M1 Gran??? right?

Yeah, the M1 Garand...our main battle rifle through the majority of the war.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Don't forget the .45acp trench broom
    1972C-URL.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This film is available on Disc 1 of "Guns of War" DVD set. Most of it is a lecture from Arthur Alphin (founder of A Squared) at West Point but there are training films at the end of each DVD.

I purchased "Guns of War" for $4.99 at Fry's in Indianapolis last weekend. I recommend the DVD set for my fellow INGO members.

Guns of War: Guns Of War 2DVD DVD Movie

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Sorry for the thread highjack but...
    So why 'downgraded' to a smaller caliber round with the current US MIL wepaon system? At least I think we did downgrade from .30 to .223 right?

With the advent of more full-auto rifles being issued, "spray and pray" became more of a tactic than aimed fire. If you look at the shots fired per enemy hit stats, there were over ten times as many shots fired per hit in 'Nam than there were in WWII. Obviously, carrying 20 rounds was no longer adequate. Rather than offer more marksmanship training, the military decided that soldiers should carry more ammo. Since 7.62NATO round were large and heavy, obviously something smaller and lighter was needed. Enter the 5.56mm.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So in essense "techonolgical" advances "dumbnify" the solider just like the electric cash register make the teenage cashier "dumb" in math. Instead of being able to use the brain to do the math in the head the machine does it for you. Instead of teaching proper marksmenship the "machine" just shoots more.

sad

Top Bottom