• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm not sure where Rick Perry fits into this, sounds like a crooked prosecutor.

Jamil kind of nailed it. Perry was presented with a chance to pardon or stay the execution of a man whose case was questionable. He chose to not do so and let an innocent man be executed. Yes, the prosecutors do bear responsibility, too. But, Perry had the chance to stop it cold and he chose not to.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    And there's a very good chance that, at some point in the future, as technology moves forward we'll discover that 'indisputable DNA proof' isn't all it's cracked up to be, either.

This is why the 'standard' is: "proof beyond a reasonable doubt", NOT 'absolute proof'.

Just as we discovered, some time back, that ALL snowflakes aren't different, or that 'random number generators' also display predictable patterns.

Punishment for a crime should be based on the rules of evidence and technology available at the time the crime was committed.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Even more evidence has come to light now. Rick Perry sent an innocent man to the death chamber.

A dad was executed for deaths of his 3 girls. Now a letter casts more doubt. - The Washington Post

I'm sorry... I missed Rick Perry's name in the artical. Clearly the prosecutor's office is where the problem originated. It sounds like it's being investigated. You provide no evidence Rick Perry knew anything about any misconduct on the part of the prosecutor's office. Once all the facts are on the table we may find out an innocent man was executed.... or we may not. But the link YOU provided has no mention or connection to Rick Perry.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    And there's a very good chance that, at some point in the future, as technology moves forward we'll discover that 'indisputable DNA proof' isn't all it's cracked up to be, either.

What are you basing that very good chance on? Fingerprints have held up pretty good for over a century.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Extraspecially if the Governor is a Republican.

Rick Perry has some soul searching to do - that's a fair statement. How much evidence did he have AT THE TIME that it was a case of a crooked prosecutor? IN HINDSIGHT - the evidence looks pretty clear.

But for any of us to sit on the sidelines and judge Perry, or anyone else at this point - is a pretty haughty endeavor. We don't know what he knew.

If he knowingly sent an innocent man to his death, then he has a lot to answer for. I don't think, though, that we have NEAR enough evidence to sit in our armchair quarterback position and make that sort of call.

mrj - what would your position be on death penalty cases? I suspect that you would commute them all to life in prison? And what would you say to the victims families? That the State of Texas has Laws but you personally have decided that you know better? Or would you presume that you know better? And could somehow be omniscient and discern when an injustice was underway from a prosecutor? You simply don't know what Perry knew or didn't know AT THE TIME.

I have a rock on my desk with the words "THE FIRST STONE" inscribed on it. You (and anyone else) are welcome to pick it up and chuck it at Perry or anyone else, anytime... Not saying that Perry is in the right. DANG SURE not saying that the prosecutor is in the right. Just saying that when we pick up that stone, we're kind of doing what we're accusing Perry of, no?

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    This is certainly a sickening case that illustrates an abuse of power by the state prosecution. Perhaps we should hold those in these positions responsible for their dealings that result in such tragedy... that testimony was the nail in this man's coffin. And it was all based upon lies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Jamil kind of nailed it. Perry was presented with a chance to pardon or stay the execution of a man whose case was questionable. He chose to not do so and let an innocent man be executed. Yes, the prosecutors do bear responsibility, too. But, Perry had the chance to stop it cold and he chose not to.
    Nailed it with sarcasm. I'm not shocked. I'm not shocked that the remarks blamed a Republican governor and no mention of the most culpable entity in the case.

Extraspecially if the Governor is a Republican.
    See, phylodog got the sarcasm.

I have a rock on my desk with the words "THE FIRST STONE" inscribed on it. You (and anyone else) are welcome to pick it up and chuck it at Perry or anyone else, anytime... Not saying that Perry is in the right. DANG SURE not saying that the prosecutor is in the right. Just saying that when we pick up that stone, we're kind of doing what we're accusing Perry of, no?
    First, that's a great thing for a coder to have on his desk.

There seems to be an attitude in Texas about the death penalty and governors tend to just trust that the legal system worked and that the jurors made the best decision that they could make. So they tend not to grant stays. My own opinion is that it is a person's life at stake and all efforts should be made at all levels to ensure an execution is just. I doubt that Rick Perry will reflect much on it because that's the system.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This is certainly a sickening case that illustrates an abuse of power by the state prosecution. Perhaps we should hold those in these positions responsible for their dealings that result in such tragedy... that testimony was the nail in this man's coffin. And it was all based upon lies.
    If they find the prosecutor knowingly and willingly did this, he should be charged with murder.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    If an innocent man is being executed then that is a failure in the legal system; death row inmates get multiple appeals on the taxpayer's dime. If you are so against capital punishment, what is an alternative determent that doesn't cost the taxpayer? For example why is people like Jeffery Dalmer or Charles Manson are still alive? What is the cost justification to keep them alive and for what purpose? More money for the welfare queens

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    First, that's a great thing for a coder to have on his desk.

There seems to be an attitude in Texas about the death penalty and governors tend to just trust that the legal system worked and that the jurors made the best decision that they could make. So they tend not to grant stays. My own opinion is that it is a person's life at stake and all efforts should be made at all levels to ensure an execution is just. I doubt that Rick Perry will reflect much on it because that's the system.

For the record, in addition to being a programmer - I'm also a lay leader at my church. (I know - programmer - almost as bad as publicans and sinners... ) I fear that that particular rock is there more because of the second item than the first... :D It also helps remind me to reflect a bit before jumping too quickly and chucking rocks myself...

I agree with your take on Texas.... they tend to let whatever the court says go, and roll with it. As you say, I'm not sure that I could look at it that way. If I saw anything that looked the least bit hinky with the case, I'm pretty sure that I'd have to send it back for another look. What would really suck though, is if nothing looked hinky with it AT THE TIME - and then evidence that it was the wrong dude came out LATER. That's probably a good reason why I'm not ArmedGoverrnor ... :D

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Honestly, I find leaving an innocent person rotting in a cell for life, being raped, beaten, caged like an animal, to be far less humane than being executed. Once all the appeals are exhausted, I would rather be put to sleep that to live a lifetime of seemingly endless Hell. There is no right answer here. The reality is, innocent people will fall prey to over zealous prosecutors and police who want to close cases. There are reforms we can make, things like making it impossible to get murder convictions on circumstantial evidence alone, but even then people will fall through the cracks...

I wish I knew the answer.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    And because, you know, it's Texas.

Governors don't last long in Texas if the people see them as soft.

The question as far as the Governor is not what has been discovered 10 years after the execution, but what he knew at the time. Questions were raised, but rejected by the parole board. He apparently trusted their judgment. From what I have seen, the most serious questions were not raised about this conviction until 2009, 5 years after the execution. Governor Perry would have needed to tap into the paranormal to know what would be found 5 years (or 10 years) later.

That being said, I am against the death penalty because if the risk of something like this happening (taking no sides at this point about what actually did happen). Prison for life is fine with me as punishment.

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Perry has said in speeches that he "loses no sleep" over the potentially innocent people executed by his administration. This is not the first time time the issue has been raised about he and the overzealous Texas justice system.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

This is why the 'standard' is: "proof beyond a reasonable doubt", NOT 'absolute proof'.

Just as we discovered, some time back, that ALL snowflakes aren't different, or that 'random number generators' also display predictable patterns.

Punishment for a crime should be based on the rules of evidence and technology available at the time the crime was committed.
    This is the line we walk. If I use the logic center of my brain, the death penalty is problematic, if I trust my emotions then the death penalty is just fine. "Beyond a reasonable doubt" leaves room for innocent people to be convicted, albeit small. The thought of an innocent person being put to death for a crime they didn't commit scares the hell out of me. Can the death penalty be applied in such a way that there is no chance an innocent is not put to death? If not, what is the percentage that is acceptable? I don't pretend to have the answers, just lots of questions. Nor am I firmly on one side or the other.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The question as far as the Governor is not what has been discovered 10 years after the execution, but what he knew at the time. Questions were raised, but rejected by the parole board. He apparently trusted their judgment. From what I have seen, the most serious questions were not raised about this conviction until 2009, 5 years after the execution. Governor Perry would have needed to tap into the paranormal to know what would be found 5 years (or 10 years) later.

That being said, I am against the death penalty because if the risk of something like this happening (taking no sides at this point about what actually did happen). Prison for life is fine with me as punishment.

In the Frontline program, it was shown that the Governor did look into the case and that he knew there was some question about the validity of the arson evidence.

Top Bottom