WOW, idiot shot a dog in a neighborhood.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    So, my wife and I just got home from work and decided to take our 15 week old puppy for a walk around the adjoining neighborhood. We are two houses away from the corner where we need to turn to head back to our place and we hear "Bang." Ordinarily I can tell a gunshot pretty easily, however this really sounded too weak to be a gunshot. My wife asked, "was that a shot" and I thought for a second and said "nah, it wasn't sharp/loud enough, it didn't even echo off the houses." Then I said I thought it was a firecracker because I could here some kids nearby. A few seconds later we heard another shot. As we turned the corner I see a dog laying in a yard on the east side of the street. I immediately assumed the dog had been shot because he wasn't moving and there was a considerable number of people nearby for the dog to not pay any attention to any of them. Then saw a guy running to the dog, neal down to him and yelled "someone give me a hand or call the cops, someone shot this dog."

At this point I handed over the leash to our puppy to my wife and headed over. I couldn't call because we didn't take our cell phones with us. As I got closer there was a guy and his wife standing in their yard across the street just watching all the comotion as several other people were headed towards the dog. One of the guys heading over was the dog's owner and then his wife shortly behind him. As I got closer it was obvious the dog had been shot because there was blood everywhere. At that time one of the lady's asked the man/wife across the street, "Did you shoot this dog." To which they had no reply and just stared. We all sort of looked at each other and one said, "that's a yes." Then a bunch of shouting persisted as the dog's owner started to head to the couple and I really wasn't paying attention to all that BS. I helped another guy roll the dog over and wrap his neck wound to stop the bleeding. The dog owners were shouting back and forth with the couple that shot him and their only reply was, "it's a freaking pitbull." :rolleyes: Anyhow, cops showed up and talked to everyone. He took the owners contact info down and let them go to take the dog to the vet. We helped him load the dog up into the back of his vehicle to get him to an emergency vet. Looking at everything, I found where one of the rounds actually penetrated the house's garage door at about 15" off the ground or so. You could see the direction of travel of the round because of the two-sided steel sheeting in the door. It was obvious that the shot had been made from a fair distance. Very likely from across the street where the couple was standing. Had he been any closer the trajectory would have been significantly more downward. Everything calmed down, the cops took the .38 revolver (explains why it didn't sound like a real gunshot;)) and put it in a bag and asked all the "witnesses" to leave so they could continue their investigation, take pics, etc.

Ok, FIRST OF ALL...I do not condemn a man for trying to protect his family with a firearm if there is a real threat. BUT, in this case there was NO sign of or evidence to support any of the man's claims. The trajectory of the hole in the neighbor's garage was obviously from some distance away. So, how is the dog a threat at 30 yards away? Also, he said there were TWO pitbulls however NOBODY in the area saw another dog other than the one who got shot. That would include nearly a dozen people from various angles of the incident. Additionally, a number of the "witnesses" admitted to knowing that dog to be very gentle and it lives with a two year old child. This is hardly evidence of a viscious man eater. Additionally, if the guy was truly "threatened" by an aggressive dog would you not fire two or more shots in RAPID succession, but in this case my wife and I actually had time to discuss whether or not it was a gunshot before we heard the second one.:xmad:

Anyway, one hell of an interesting evening which I did not expect. Just thought I'd share the idiocy of this man with others. I can only hope he gets charged with something, although I'm not familiar with the particular ordinances in this township. Glad there wasn't a family in the home he was firing towards. Good reason to show why you should always be armed, and be EDUCATED. Hopefully, this idiot is not an INGO'er.

Last edited:

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    They shot the dog from accross the street 'because it was a Pit Bull'? I hope the cops arrest them for negligent discharge of a firearm and cruelty to animals.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'll reserve my opinion until I hear the whole story. Just off the top of my head, I can think of at least five reasons for shooting that don't include "reckless discharge".

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I doubt the officers would have allowed me to insert a stick into the hole in the garage door, but it was pretty apparent that it had came from the general direction where the couple was standing in their yard. This was basically right next to their driveway and in front of their front door. Their home is on the corner and their driveway is parallel to that of the street which they shot across. From where the dog lay, across that yard, across the sidewalk, across the street, across the OTHER sidewalk, and across the full length of the shooter's yard...I would say that an estimate of 75 feet is very MODEST. The dog was hit in the back of the neck. The round didn't exit and it appeared to be logged in the neck because it was swollen in a certain spot by the entry. The dog did get frightened and tried to stand up but wasn't exactly coordinated in his effort. I don't know if it hit his spine or not though. It didn't appear to have.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    i'm not condoning anything, but if you keep your dogs leashed this won't happen.
    Indeed, but the man was running after his dog because as his child opened the door to go outside and play the dog barged outside. I can't condemn anyone for that. That's happened to everyone.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    I'll reserve my opinion until I hear the whole story. Just off the top of my head, I can think of at least five reasons for shooting that don't include "reckless discharge".

C'mon - how are we suppossed to have a lynch mob if we hear all the facts...

What color was the dog? The neighbors?

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    He shot across a roadway as well. This guy is nuts. He should be fined a hefty sum at a bare minimum. Also sued for property damage to the dog, homeowner of the garage and for stress to the garage owner as what if someone had been in there and was killed. What an idiot and a negative incident for responsible gun owners.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I believe animal cruelty is a class A misdemeanor. If the dog dies it is killing of a domestic vertebrate animal owned by another which is a class D felony. Throw on reckless or negligent discharge (was this in city limits?)! Yikes!

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    Even the most responsible pet owners have dogs escape every now and then. It happens. Mine never have and probably never will but personally I'd give the owner the benefit of the doubt for a loose dog.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I believe animal cruelty is a class A misdemeanor. If the dog dies it is killing of a domestic vertebrate animal owned by another which is a class D felony. Throw on reckless or negligent discharge (was this in city limits?)! Yikes!
    It was in the middle of a neighborhood in AVON.

Top Bottom