Would you be interested in a class based on real scenarios?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've been diagramming some real world shootings and robberies with the intention of sharing the information with some instructors in order to incorporate them into training. The more I think about this, the more value I believe it would add to a training session and perhaps having someone there to answer questions and address tactics used and who won/lost would also add some value.

I really don't know what the demand for said training would be, so I'm asking if anyone would be interested in the following, and what you think a class such as this would be worth for a 4 hour block of instruction.

The class would not be an intro level class. You would be assumed to have basic proficiency with a handgun, be able to operate it safely, be able to draw, and be able to keep rounds on paper at 5 yards. It would not require much more proficiency to safely do and get something out of, though.

The class would likely be a low round count class. Most scenarios are over in 3 rounds or less. Any single 'stage' would be unlikely to incorporate more than 6 shots. I'd have to pencil it out, but 100-150 rounds would probably do it as a rough guess. 200 on the outside. The class would be small, say 10 people max.

A brief introduction on what has generally worked and what has generally failed, and why. A talk about the importance of proper holster, belt, firearm, and carry method (ie, addressing carrying on an empty chamber), etc.

Demonstrate and explain firing from retention as well as how to efficiently draw smoothly and quickly, etc.

Each scenario would be set up with IDPA style cardboards. Targets would range from 1 to 3. An introduction to this stage and what led up to it. (ie, the targeted person was walking to his van with a bag of groceries in his hand. He became aware of an armed suspect at X yards, the suspect made these demands, at that point the scenario will start for you..." Allow each student to run the scenario. Then allow each student to run the scenario under timer (maybe for best time, maybe par time). Then tell the students what the actual target did and if that person won or lost, and the lessons drawn. Perhaps demonstrate it as the target actually reacted? Set up next scenario.

Scenarios would get progressively more difficult, and introduce concepts like getting off the "x", etc.

This would be something of an intro to defensive use based on real world events. I think in 4 hours, 8-10 scenarios along with lecture would be a reasonable pace. It would, perhaps, be a good precursor to FoF style training and give the basics of how to best spend practice time if geared toward real world survival.

Before I start working on the logistics of this, I'm curious as to if there would be any demand, and if so what value people would place on it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ok. Well, a lot of logistics to work out and working with a potential partner.

I do not envision this as a FoF course. More of an intro to that. Learning what mattered, what worked, how best to maximize your odds of survival, etc.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I like it. Please let me know if I can help from my end of the bench. I'm an instructor for our academy so I'm sure I can get us some space somewhere.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Very interested. I think seeing some real world scenarios would be very good. I think we've all seen the liveleak and youtube videos of certain encounters and wonder how we might have reacted, and if we'd have done anything different. Its always easy to Monday morning quarterback so why not use that as a teaching opportunity.

I remember taking a very basic room clearing class from an INGO instructor. Just the added complexity of that got my pulse racing and got me thinking about a lot of things I wouldn't otherwise think about on a typical 2D range. Even with movement, barricades, shoot / no shoot situations, it still doesn't have that same feeling and that same adrenaline dump and cotton mouth feel of a real situation.

Top Bottom