• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So, I got a delivery notice from UPS this morning saying I had a package coming today. I was pretty sure that everything I'd ordered for Christmas had already arrived, so I looked a little closer. It said that the shipment was from B&H Photo in Brooklyn, NY. Now I knew I hadn't ordered anything from them so I started digging. Checked my bank statement, since I've had my debit card hit before, but there wasn't any odd activity there. Checked my credit card online, and voila'! A charge from December 18th for almost $700.00!

I called my credit card company first, and reported the fraud and had the card shut down. Then I called the 800 number for B&H that was listed on my statement. I reported the fraud to them, but they were skeptical at first. They asked my address, which I confirmed, but then they asked me to confirm my email. The one they had for the order wasn't mine. They told me to just refuse the shipment when/if it arrives and also said that they would contact their shipping department to see if they could get UPS to stop it (it is already on the truck for delivery today). I have also been in contact with UPS. Apparently someone had ordered a Nikon camera.

Now, here is the "dumb" part... What kind of criminal would use a stolen credit card number to place an order, and then have it shipped to the address of the owner of the stolen card?? :ugh: What a maroon! I'm half tempted to let the driver deliver the package, and then leave it on the porch while I hide and wait for someone to come steal it. I think I'll just refuse it though. At least it was only my credit card this time and not my debit!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Cork suckers are watching your house right now. Look for a car out of the ordinary parked down the street.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    This is why the wife checks the accounts each, and every morning. Sorry to hear about this, had it happen to me for $4.37. That was the " feeler", wife caught it. Bank was called, account shut down.

adcecil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    This is why the wife checks the accounts each, and every morning. Sorry to hear about this, had it happen to me for $4.37. That was the " feeler", wife caught it. Bank was called, account shut down.

happened to me caught it as soon as it hit the account. some cad dealer charging me $1.38

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    So, I got a delivery notice from UPS this morning saying I had a package coming today. I was pretty sure that everything I'd ordered for Christmas had already arrived, so I looked a little closer. It said that the shipment was from B&H Photo in Brooklyn, NY. Now I knew I hadn't ordered anything from them so I started digging. Checked my bank statement, since I've had my debit card hit before, but there wasn't any odd activity there. Checked my credit card online, and voila'! A charge from December 18th for almost $700.00!

I called my credit card company first, and reported the fraud and had the card shut down. Then I called the 800 number for B&H that was listed on my statement. I reported the fraud to them, but they were skeptical at first. They asked my address, which I confirmed, but then they asked me to confirm my email. The one they had for the order wasn't mine. They told me to just refuse the shipment when/if it arrives and also said that they would contact their shipping department to see if they could get UPS to stop it (it is already on the truck for delivery today). I have also been in contact with UPS. Apparently someone had ordered a Nikon camera.

Now, here is the "dumb" part... What kind of criminal would use a stolen credit card number to place an order, and then have it shipped to the address of the owner of the stolen card?? :ugh: What a maroon! I'm half tempted to let the driver deliver the package, and then leave it on the porch while I hide and wait for someone to come steal it. I think I'll just refuse it though. At least it was only my credit card this time and not my debit!
    I'm guessing you sent a donation to Hillary's campaign and the Russian Hacks got your CC # comrade.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Cork suckers are watching your house right now. Look for a car out of the ordinary parked down the street.

Well, any car parked on our street would be out of the ordinary. There's no shoulder or parking lane. At any rate, UPS just called and they were able to catch the driver and have it stopped. The thief is going to be disappointed. I hope I ruined their Christmas! :xmad: I may try and call the camera shop tomorrow and see if they'll give me the email address that was used. It was an att.net address, so maybe if I get that, I can work with ATT to get the scumbag prosecuted.

MrAverage

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Terre Haute
    Sorry to hear about your experience and hope it is an easy fix. Sadly happens more than I thought. I had a bunch of airline charges appear on my credit card after an online purchase with Buds GS. This was simple enough to cancel charges and issue a new card since I noticed it soon enough.

Also had my SSN turned into a credit collection agency when the eye doctor looked at the wrong file when sending it in. Found this one out when applying for a new mortgage and a real pain to get corrected. I was only able to remove it after doctor's office contacted them to correct. I could rant on the process for some time, because false info is easily cascaded and removal of this info requires magic that would make Harry Potter proud.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sorry to hear about your experience and hope it is an easy fix. Sadly happens more than I thought. I had a bunch of airline charges appear on my credit card after an online purchase with Buds GS. This was simple enough to cancel charges and issue a new card since I noticed it soon enough.

Also had my SSN turned into a credit collection agency when the eye doctor looked at the wrong file when sending it in. Found this one out when applying for a new mortgage and a real pain to get corrected. I was only able to remove it after doctor's office contacted them to correct. I could rant on the process for some time, because false info is easily cascaded and removal of this info requires magic that would make Harry Potter proud.

Having your SSN compromised like that would definitely be a pain in the butt! The credit card is somewhat easier than the debit card, or at least less of an inconvenience. I rarely use cash so I use the debit card a lot and having to plan ahead to have enough cash on hand until the new card arrives sucks.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    One thing that is kind of odd is that they used the att.net email (not mine) to place the order, but the UPS notification came to MY email address. The only thing I can figure is that I have a UPS account so they automatically sent it to the email address I have on record with them. I'm glad they did, or I wouldn't have noticed it as quickly.

MrAverage

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Terre Haute
    I agree it sucks to change habits due to some tool high jacking your finances. I must be a dying breed since I still prefer using cash. Have people at work now that don't use cash much and seem confused if I say checking account.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Cash for all gun purchases.

FTF deal or at a show, same here, but I've gotten quite a few off gunbroker, and while I guess I could go and get a money order (cash), I'm way too impatient not to use a card if it's an option. :): Also, since I don't normally keep a lot of cash on hand, sometimes I'll stop at a shop and see something that I can't do without, so the card comes out. Seems to happen at indiucky's shop a lot!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    One thing that is kind of odd is that they used the att.net email (not mine) to place the order, but the UPS notification came to MY email address. The only thing I can figure is that I have a UPS account so they automatically sent it to the email address I have on record with them. I'm glad they did, or I wouldn't have noticed it as quickly.

That ^^^ I get communications all the time because of my UPS account; they notify me when a package is schedule for delivery that day... it's completely independent of any communications that come from the shipper.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That ^^^ I get communications all the time because of my UPS account; they notify me when a package is schedule for delivery that day... it's completely independent of any communications that come from the shipper.

That has to be it. I guess I just assumed that it was something that was initiated by the shipper as part of the order process or something.

85Cosmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    West Lafayette
    I get a lot of phishing from Paypal bogus emails. Its to the point I don't open any emails from Paypal, just log in to their site myself. Must be money in hacking or they would get a real job!

Top Bottom