• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zstep7

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    West Indianapolis
    I recently bought 50 rounds of this ammo for my Smith and Wesson M&P 45 for practice purposes and had it blow up in my face, literally. My sixth shot fired and did not extract the shell. I'm assuming with a S&W M&P it would'nt be picky on ammo (obviously not S&W's fault). After manually removing the case with much force and effort I saw that the powder had blown out the rear of the casing just in front of the rim. Any thoughts?

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I do not buy Russian ammo. Number one, I don't want to support the bastards and number two, I don't trust them with my safety because of numerous stories like this. I'd rather buy Precision Cartridge commercial reloads for $317/1000.

zstep7

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    West Indianapolis
    I shoot plenty of wolf out of the sks. Was just hoping to find some cheap practice ammo that I do not have to collect and save the brass. I shoot back in the woods and digging through the weeds, shotgun shells and other misc. gets a little old.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    You get what you pay for.

Wolf is cheap and usually not a problem but like my momma always says "cheap is a cheap does". I usually only buy wolf for my Aks too. Picked up some 9mm a while back, my mags did not like them at all, jammed up really bad. A big "atta-boy" to your M&P for taking the hit.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I tend to buy decent quality firearms. After many years as a journeyman toolmaker, I'll tell you that steel-on-steel will generate a problem for one of the two parts. To each his own, and all that. I shoot lots of Wolf rimfire ammo, but I stay away from anything steel-cased.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I recently bought 50 rounds of this ammo for my Smith and Wesson M&P 45 for practice purposes and had it blow up in my face, literally. My sixth shot fired and did not extract the shell. I'm assuming with a S&W M&P it would'nt be picky on ammo (obviously not S&W's fault). After manually removing the case with much force and effort I saw that the powder had blown out the rear of the casing just in front of the rim. Any thoughts?

Not really common.
    Wolf is generally very good quality ammo. Just because it is cheap does not mean anything.

Honestly I would be checking my gun out before I went and shot it anymore.
    I remember reading an article about M&P's having quality issues where one department had issues with the barrel machining.

Really it sounds you had a Kaboom which is from a portion of the chamber not being supported and the pressure bleeding through the non supported part of the case.

People are quick to blame Wolf but I have to hand it to the Russians they make some damn fine ammo.

Found it:

SHERIFFS DEPARTMENT BROADCAST ANNOUNCEMENT

TRAINING BUREAU WEAPONS TRAINING

TO: ALL SWORN PERSONNEL

SUBJECT: OFFICER SAFETY ALERT - SMITH & WESSON M&P PISTOLS

RECENT DEVELOPMENTS HAVE FORCED A DEPARTMENTAL RE-EVALUATION OF THE SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P SEMI-AUTOMATIC PISTOL AS AN AUTHORIZED OPTIONAL HANDGUN FOR SWORN PERSONNEL.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, THE SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P FULL SIZE PISTOL IS NO LONGER AN AUTHORIZED OPTIONAL ON-DUTY PISTOL.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, THE SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P COMPACT PISTOL IS NO LONGER AN AUTHORIZED OPTIONAL OFF-DUTY PISTOL.

SINCE FIRST APPROVAL AS AN OPTIONAL PISTOL ON DECEMBER 10, 2008, THE FULL-SIZED AND/OR COMPACT VERSIONS OF THE 9MM SMITH & WESSON M&P PISTOL HAVE BEEN DEPLOYED BY 49 SWORN PERSONNEL ON AND OFF DUTY. ONE OF THESE PISTOLS WAS DELIVERED NEW WITH AN IMPROPERLY MACHINED BARREL THAT WOULD NOT EJECT SPENT CARTRIDGE CASINGS. ANOTHER OF THESE PISTOLS EXPERIENCED A BARREL FAILURE IN MID-APRIL OF THIS YEAR. AFTER FIRING LESS THAN 10,000 ROUNDS OF TRAINING AMMUNITION. THIS PISTOL BARREL BROKE INTO TWO PIECES JUST AHEAD OF THE FIRING CHAMBER.

ADDITIONALLY, A SIGNIFICANT NUMBER OF DEPUTY ACADEMY CLASS #377 RECRUITS WITH ISSUED NEW SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P FULL-SIZE PISTOLS HAVE EXPERIENCED PHASE-2 PISTOL MALFUNCTIONS, CAUSED BY SPENT CASINGS FAILING TO EXTRACT FROM BARREL CHAMBERS, DURING THE PAST TWO WEEKS OF TRAINING. CLASS #377 RECRUITS WILL BE ISSUED BERETTA 92FS PISTOLS ON WEDNESDAY APRIL 29, 2009, AND THEIR M&P PISTOLS REMOVED FROM SERVICE.

PERSONNEL SAFETY AND RELIABLE EQUIPMENT REMAIN OUR PRIMARY CONCERNS.

DIRECT ANY QUESTIONS TO LIEUTENANT MICHAEL C. REYNOLDS MCREYNOL@LASD.ORG OR SERGEANT DAVID NELL DANELL@LASD.ORG AT THE B.C. RANGE.

LEROY D. BACA, SHERIFF KBL/SNDG

Last edited:

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    I recently fired 25 rounds of Wolf .45 through my Sp[ringfield XD 45 Tactical without any misfires. It fired dirty but it all cycled. i probably would not buy the Wolf, it was supplied by a friend. This particular day I fired 5 differrent rounds all without a FTF. I think this speaks more to the Springfield than the ammo. I have had the same history with my XD40sc carry gun.

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    I have put all kinds of Wolf 230gr FMJ through my pt145 and never had an issue with it, and honestly will not hesitate to get more in the future.:draw:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Any thoughts?

Don't use Wolf anymore.:)

I don't use Wolf for the most part...I've never even had as much as a jam with it, but it's too dirty and inaccurate for my liking.

KimberMike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I got 1200 rounds of Wolf .45 for $200 at a gun show a few months ago. I couldn't pass it up, and I have never had any problems with Wolf ammo. I shoot it out of my ARs, AKs, SKSs, and handguns. Maybe I am just lucky, but combined, I bet I have shot well over 8000 rounds of various Wolf through different guns without an ammo related problem. (Knock on wood)

I pick it up when I see a good deal, other than that I usually shoot brass stuff. I will continue to shoot Wolf as long as there are significant $$$ savings to be had.

Mike

Top Bottom