• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • postmanpwc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Man I just got off a 12 hour shift from work and going north on Lima Rd. my way home. Then to my right there is this minivan coming off the I-69 Exit ramp which merges into Lima road. Well as he was coming around the bend of the Exit it just kept on going straight and he must have been going around 50-55 mph.

If you know that area of Lima Rd. you'll know there is a concret divider seperating cross traffic and that van just went head on right into that concrete median.

It happen about 50 feet in front of me while I was driving and like 5 seconds before it actually happen I knew what was going to happen. I saw that van going pretty fast coming around the exit ramp and thought to myself "...that bastard better slow down he's not going to make the merge/turn..."

Anyway it was like only 10 seconds from when I first saw the van to the initial impact and oddly enough as I stopped my truck with my hazards on I whip out my cellphone, then to my suprise before I can dial 911 I see a cop car on the other side of the median with his lights on and he drove past us to do a wrap around to come on my side of traffic.

So I'm sitting there in shock contemplating on going out my truck to assess the situation to see if I can help the injured, I see the cop speeding towards us in my rear view mirror. From then I just proceed to drive off and leave it to the cop but now that I think about it I really should have sticked around atleast to see if the cop would need assistance atleast until medics come.

Like I said my ass was tired from a long shift and it was like 3:30 a.m. but I REALLY DO FEEL GUILTY maybe the cop would have needed me. I just wasn't thinking straight. Also it was only me and another car driving within my viewing distance and the car was ahead of me like 20 feet. I'm pretty sure he was more scared than me. He did the same thing too and drove off as the cop entered the scene.

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Like I said my ass was tired from a long shift and it was like 3:30 a.m. but I REALLY DO FEEL GUILTY maybe the cop would have needed me
    No worries, generally the public are more in the way then a help on the scene. In 8 yrs as a paramedic I have never seen a LOP provide pt care except one time they were giving CPR and another a (FNG) used a 4x4 on a wound.

Bad things happen all the time and the time it took medics to get and help your aid wouldn't have matter at all. Trauma is a surgical even not a bystandard let me help even. There is nothing you could have done but put yourself in danger by being near a mangled vehical which poses many, many threats to human life. If you are not trainned stay away....period.

With that said, if the driver was unconcious and the car began to flame, pulling the victim out or another simular situation...I could go with this.

Relieve yourself from gult, you couldn't have done anything anyhow!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Redneckmedic, thanks for your input. I am sure that there are many people that wonder what they should do. If no one was there, I would at least stop and assess the situation until help could arrive, but standing around an accident can be very dangerous. One other danger is that another idiot could be speeding around the corner.

I stood on a dangerous curve early one morning while it was still dark to try to get people to slow down before they came upon another wreck they could not see. A tractor trailor slid and almost hit the stopped car. One lady saw me, overreacted, slid sideways, hit the lane barrier and flipped upsidedown. She came away with a broken ankle. It took the police a very long time to get there.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Ill second that. I pulled over to help a lady who was doing 360s on 465 (up by 71st street on the north side). Just about guy my truck creamed by a jeep that slip off into the ditch at about 45MPH. Would not have been a good day.

By the times cops showed up there were 5 vehicles who had slip off into the ditch and one went to far as to make it through the fence a few car lengths.

Then im driving to work a few days later and here that a Colts player had a vehicle accident in that same area the day after that. Good times.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    to my suprise before I can dial 911 I see a cop car on the other side of the median with his lights on and he drove past us to do a wrap around to come on my side of traffic.

I really should have sticked around atleast to see if the cop would need assistance atleast until medics come.

He did the same thing too and drove off as the cop entered the scene.

It took the police a very long time to get there.

I don't want to downplay the role LEO's have in public service, as I might have in the last post. However they as a whole aren't trainned in Emergency medicine. Merly CPR and some first responder criteria, I am however very sure that there take is the same as ours, when it comes to public involvment once we've arrived on the scene, and thats none. You aren't trained and become more of hazard or hinderance than help. Plus if something happens to you, you get a nice funeral. We get lots of $ and our kids attend a state college for free. My point is... When its all said and done, is the juice worth the squeeze. One of the things I teach (CPR) is that during a crisis people want to help, no matter how little it might be, they just need to be pointed in the right direction.

If you really want to help. Take an EMT class, join a volunteer FD and make reponses in your area from home. Its fun and a great pay back to the community!

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    You probably should have stuck around, as a witness to the accident I am sure the LEO would have taken a statement from you...

Well, if it comes down to it, there will be something on tv or in the newspaper seeking witnesses.

No worries, generally the public are more in the way then a help on the scene. In 8 yrs as a paramedic I have never seen a LOP provide pt care except one time they were giving CPR and another a (FNG) used a 4x4 on a wound.

Lazy Old Prostitute?
    Formerly Not Gay?

:dunno:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have stopped before and helped when possible (i.e. I will not put my kids at risk to help).

I have helped with simple first aid stuff. I have helped people just think straight when they are in a moment of shock/disbelief/poor mental process. I have been a decent witness too.

And, if I could do nothing more, I have stayed with someone as they died and will do it again. No one should have to die alone.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I have stopped before and helped when possible (i.e. I will not put my kids at risk to help).

I have helped with simple first aid stuff. I have helped people just think straight when they are in a moment of shock/disbelief/poor mental process. I have been a decent witness too.

And, if I could do nothing more, I have stayed with someone as they died and will do it again. No one should have to die alone.

A big :+1:

If you can safely stop and help I think it is the right thing to do. I know of several stories where average folks have stopped and at least comforted a victim if not save their life.

Top Bottom