• ...and so much more!
  • Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Thomas Jefferson

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not”

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

George Washington

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence."

The above quotes are all fake. We have all seen them on this website and throughout media. Stop using them if you are doing so. Nothing weakens an argument more than bogus quotations. It doesn't help the Cause.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Thomas Jefferson

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not”

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

George Washington

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence."

The above quotes are all fake. We have all seen them on this website and throughout media. Stop using them if you are doing so. Nothing weakens an argument more than bogus quotations. It doesn't help the Cause.

Never seen those before, have to admit, I was buying it until the jefferson quote about banking institutions, that made me say wait soemthing aint right

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Never seen those before, have to admit, I was buying it until the jefferson quote about banking institutions, that made me say wait soemthing aint right

Eh, they pop up fairly often...not as much as in the past I suppose, but I have seen all of these particular quotes on this website.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Very interesting. I have seen these quotes numerous times (with the exception of the banking quote). I've never had reason to question their authenticity, although that is my own ignorance I suppose.

How did you come to the conclusion that these are fake quotations?

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North

I'm not positive one way or another if ANY quote from history that wasn't sound or video recorded is true, but wise words are wise words. Is your problem the fact that people pin these quotes up with TJ or ole George's name next to them, or do you have a problem with the quotes themselves? As far as I can tell, they are pretty sound words, whoever wrote them doesn't matter to me.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm not positive one way or another if ANY quote from history that wasn't sound or video recorded is true, but wise words are wise words. Is your problem the fact that people pin these quotes up with TJ or ole George's name next to them, or do you have a problem with the quotes themselves? As far as I can tell, they are pretty sound words, whoever wrote them doesn't matter to me.

I definitely agree with you on that one.

IF these quotes are fake, I'm sure someone posted the historical names next to them in order to add "value" and "validity" to them. I mean, if it were ME who said any of these statements originally, I'm sure most opponents would find ways to discredit me as a person (much like an attorney will attempt to break down the credibility of a witness).

Either way, I agree with them. So I'd probably still repeat them, but with an anonymous tag.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Perhaps he is part of the "they were just a bunch of dead white guys" school that seems so popular these day.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Perhaps he is part of the "they were just a bunch of dead white guys" school that seems so popular these day.

Is that really your response?

I have a serious problem with people attributing quotes to individuals who never wrote them or said them. It discredits us going forward. It's kind of like quoting an actor or a movie character...the damn writer wrote the words.

Do you really think you're honoring the Founding Fathers by assigning them words that they didn't say? How do you think the Bolsheviks re-wrote History? Too many times the words of historical figures have been bent to support the deeds of unworthy men, but to knowingly alter the words of the dead to further one's cause? That's blasphemy in my book. And yes, if one passes off a quote without substantiating it's authenticity, you are acting with intent--ignorance is not an excuse.

You are right, wisdom is wisdom, and there is no issue with anonymity. I have no problems with the meaning of the quotes I posted, I agree with them, but that doesn't matter. The words of the Founding Fathers are fairly easy to trace, because they wrote everything down. One wouldn't invent or pass off a phony quote from the Bible simply because it's "good sense."

I think that in valuing the actual words of the Founders, I am paying them much higher tribute.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Thanks for the heads-up but I do research all quotes before re-quoting them on my fb, email or twitter. :D

Not everyone does, but even in your signature line, you quote John Wayne in The Shootist. That isn't John Wayne's quote, Glendon Swarthout wrote the book and his son Miles wrote the screenplay with Scott Hale and whatever other ghost writers were working for the studio at the time.

Am I wrong because I feel that accuracy is of some importance?

Last edited:

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Not everyone does, but even in your signature line, you quote John Wayne in The Shootist. That isn't John Wayne's quote, Glendon Swarthout wrote the book and his son Miles wrote the screenplay with Scott Hale and whatever other ghost writers were working for the studio at the time.

Am I wrong because I feel that accuracy is of some importance?

Oh that's just plain nit picking. John Wayne said it IN The Shootist as I have the quote. There's something to be said for being accurate and there's something else to be said for being anal... can you guess which you are being? :rolleyes:

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Oh that's just plain nit picking. John Wayne said it IN The Shootist as I have the quote. There's something to be said for being accurate and there's something else to be said for being anal... can you guess which you are being? :rolleyes:

You're right, I'm anal because I separate truth from fiction.

John Wayne was an actor who read lines other people wrote for him. He wasn't some Old West gunslinger anymore than Charles Bronson a vigilante or Mark Antony a brilliant speaker who led the Romans against Brutus. It's a sign of the times when folks quote damn actors who are paid to use other peoples words.

This thread is useless and should be closed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    It's a sign of the times when folks quote damn actors who are paid to use other peoples words.
    Generally, the President doesn't write his own speeches, nor the VP, nor the Secretary of State and so on yet we attribute quotes to those people. Their words are generally written by writers on staff.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Without John Wayne no one would of heard that quote...or perhaps in this case.."writing"...?

I have to come find out also a Washington quote I had probably isn't accurate either, it first appeared in 1915, but can't be varified with any of his quotes or writings.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence. It is force, an like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master"

Sounds good though. But won't ever use it anymore if George didn't say it.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Without John Wayne no one would of heard that quote...or perhaps in this case.."writing"...?

I have to come find out also a Washington quote I had probably isn't accurate either, it first appeared in 1915, but can't be varified with any of his quotes or writings.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence. It is force, an like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master"

Sounds good though. But won't ever use it anymore if George didn't say it.

Why not use it? Is it true? Just don't attribute it to GW....seems simple enough to me. Just because who you think said it didn't doesn't make it any less poignant.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Generally, the President doesn't write his own speeches, nor the VP, nor the Secretary of State and so on yet we attribute quotes to those people. Their words are generally written by writers on staff.

So you are telling me that JFK didn't say those words that are exactly the opposite of what is being preached today? You know: "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."

Top Bottom