WISCONSIN Senate votes to Legalize Concealed Carry!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Senators in Wisconsin passed a concealed carry bill. They do limit a few places like Milwaukee's SummerFest, police stations and court houses. All 19 Republicans voted in favor, as did 6 Democrats. There were also 8 Democrats that opposed freedom and personal safety.

Scott Walker, governor of Wisc, indicated he will sign the bill after it passes the House (which is very likely to happen within the next week). :yesway:

Wisconsin Senate Votes to Legalize Concealed Carry - FoxNews.com

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Here is a copy of the legislation => http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lfb/2011-13Bills/2011_06_09_SB93_LC.pdf

It is a SHALL issue law, it includes RECIPROCITY and seems to be filled with common sense easy to understand language.

It's Shall Issue for WI residents (and does not address May Issue for out of state residents in the link provided) and the state can choose not to recognize other states... Better than what they have now, to be sure. Hopefully, the Assembly will correct those two glaring errors. Either way, though, when this passes, it will be a great step forward.

Blessings,
    Bill

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I looked it over pretty quickly ... I didn't see anything about permitless open carry (something they presently have). Will they lose that under the new law?

BTW, I thought they were going for "Constitutional Carry" ... no permit required ... like Alaska, Vermont, Arizona.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I looked it over pretty quickly ... I didn't see anything about permitless open carry (something they presently have). Will they lose that under the new law?

BTW, I thought they were going for "Constitutional Carry" ... no permit required ... like Alaska, Vermont, Arizona.

I don't think the "Constitutional Carry" version of the bill even made it out of committee.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

Many believe that Constitutional Carry was brought up to be used the "stick" to get moderate Repubs to support the "carrot" that is the current bill.

It DOES have a training requirement. It's very similar to Florida in what qualifies as training. Hunter's safety, DD214, NRA Basic among others.

The prohibitions on where you can carry are pretty limited. Courthouses, jails and police stations. They do allow political subidivisions to post their buildings as being off limits to firearms and allow businesses to do the same. Violation would be basically a ticket.

They retain permitless OC under the new law, and it is strengthened as well. It codifies that OC is not grounds for charges, absent any other circumstances. Also, they removed the prohibition on carry in a vehicle. OC'ers used to have to unload when they got to their cars... no more. Only problem is, they have a 1000' Gun Free School Zone law which is only removed for permit holders. So OC'ers can't come within 1,000' of a school.

Overall, it's not bad for going from nothing to CCW. It's not constitutional carry, but that probably never had a real shot.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    It's Shall Issue for WI residents (and does not address May Issue for out of state residents in the link provided) and the state can choose not to recognize other states... Better than what they have now, to be sure. Hopefully, the Assembly will correct those two glaring errors. Either way, though, when this passes, it will be a great step forward.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill, from all that I've read of the passed legislation, it has no provision for out-of-state licenses.

Here's what it says on licensees from other states.

(f) "Out-of-state license" means a valid permit, license, approval, or other
    25authorization issued by another state if all of the following apply:
    11. The permit, license, approval, or other authorization is for the carrying of a
    2concealed weapon.
    3 2. The state is listed in the rule promulgated by the department under s. 165.25
    4(12) and, if that state does not require a background search for the permit, license,
    5approval, or authorization, the permit, license, approval, or authorization
    6designates that the holder chose to submit to a background search.
    7 (g) "Out-of-state licensee" means an individual who is 21 years of age or over,
    who is not a Wisconsin resident, and who has been issued an out-of-state license.

...and here's what 165.25 states:

165.25 (12) Rules regarding concealed weapons licenses.
    Promulgate by
    11rule a list of states that issue a permit, license, approval, or other authorization to
    12carry a concealed weapon if the permit, license, approval, or other authorization
    13requires, or designates that the holder chose to submit to, a background search that
    14is comparable to a background check as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (ac).

Basically as I read it, as long as you have a valid permit that is for the concealed carry of weapons, and your issuing state is listed in the DOJ list (which the legislation orders the DOJ to compile a list of states with a similar background check to the WI permit), and if your state permit doesn't require a background check that the permit states that you submitted to a background check.

I don't really see much room for the state to not allow a non-res permit, as long as it meets the requirements, unless DOJ abuses their discretion on what constitutes a similar background check.

I'm sure at least my Utah will qualify. =)

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    It's great news that they finally overcame the political forces from the Peoples Republic of Madison and passed this, as I spend a couple of weeks a month in Wisconsin for work. But, the way I read this they are going to have a training requirement. I'll bet that the Indiana LTCH will not be recognized because of it's lack of a training requirement.

Guess I'll have to break down and get that Florida permit after all.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    It's great news that they finally overcame the political forces from the Peoples Republic of Madison and passed this, as I spend a couple of weeks a month in Wisconsin for work. But, the way I read this they are going to have a training requirement. I'll bet that the Indiana LTCH will not be recognized because of it's lack of a training requirement.

Guess I'll have to break down and get that Florida permit after all.

Re-read the post above yours. While the WI permit does require training, recognition of out-of-state permits hinges on the similarity of their background check to Wisconsin's according to the newly passed senate bill. Training has nothing to do with recognition. That said, we won't know if Indiana is recognized until the DOJ list gets propagated.

Top Bottom