• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Has anyone heard if Wisconsin has published the list of which states are recognized? The new law kicks in Nov 1. and am curious if the Indiana LTCH is gonna be good up there.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    They must still be working on the list. There are several states that have higher requirements than Indiana (Ohio, FL) that are not listed either.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    They must still be working on the list. There are several states that have higher requirements than Indiana (Ohio, FL) that are not listed either.

It's not about the requirements, it's about the similarity of the background check. I don't think anyone knows how to quantify that. Where do you find a detailed list of what's included in each state's background check. I'm glad Utah is included, as that will cover me, but it sucks for people who have FL.

chadc11

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Venice, FL
    I'm glad Utah is included, as that will cover me, but it sucks for people who have FL.

Yes it does! I have to go to Wisconsin next month and it seems I will not be able to carry. It sucks worse when I see that Puerto Rico and the USVI are approved... They aren't even states!

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    Glad to see Utah on the list, but surprised Florida isn't. I'm not familiar with the 'National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act'. Suppose the chances of something like that getting passed are slim to none. Good to know next time I'm in WI, I'll be CC'ing. Just have to travel through that lousy Icky-nois state to get there.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Call me sour grapes, and I know there will be a rational explanation, but why does Indiana recognize licenses from states that do not recognize ours?

This should be a two-way street. (Why should a WI citizen have more rights in Indiana than an Indiana citizen visiting Wisconsin?):xmad:

I would think under full faith and credit, if you have a license in your home state, the state you are visiting should have to recognize it too. We do this with marriages, in all 50 states.

This is truly annoying. Maybe time for another Supreme Court case. After the next presidential election.

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    Call me sour grapes, and I know there will be a rational explanation, but why does Indiana recognize licenses from states that do not recognize ours?

This should be a two-way street. (Why should a WI citizen have more rights in Indiana than an Indiana citizen visiting Wisconsin?):xmad:

I would think under full faith and credit, if you have a license in your home state, the state you are visiting should have to recognize it too. We do this with marriages, in all 50 states.

This is truly annoying. Maybe time for another Supreme Court case. After the next presidential election.
    Because Indiana recognizes that a citizen's constitutional rights aren't diminished for simply crossing an invisible state line. Gotta be the bigger person and all.

samwathegreat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Because Indiana recognizes that a citizen's constitutional rights aren't diminished for simply crossing an invisible state line. Gotta be the bigger person and all.

....or an invisible (possibly visible?) country border....

"Indiana recognizes handgun carry permits from every state and foreign country, but only as long as the person holding the permit is not a resident of Indiana."

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI

Do all states recognize gay marriages from other states?

The rational explanation is that Indiana has its Sh** together when it comes to this issue. Better to lead then follow.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Licensees from any of the listed states will be recognized in Wisconsin as an out-of-state licensee per Sec. 175.60 (1)(g) Wis. Stats. This was determined based on the statutory requirement in s. 165.25 (12) that the listed state requires, or designates that the holder chose to submit, to a background search that is comparable to Wisconsin’s background check in s. 175.60 (1)(ac). Wisconsin’s background check includes only two components (1) A criminal history record search; (2) A search of the national instant criminal background check system (NICS). If another states background check meets the same requirements a Wisconsin resident must meet, the DOJ has recognized that state. The DOJ has tried to be as inclusive as possible and will periodically check and update the list if other states can be added. This list is current as of 10/18/11.

Emphasis mine.

Indiana used to check at the federal level as well, but stopped doing so some years back. This is why our LTCH is not recognized for bypassing the NICS check when purchasing a firearm at retail. I'm disappointed, but not surprised that our LTCH is not recognized. I'm glad to see that WI now has CC available and that we now have a foot in the door there. That they recognize the RKBA including CC is a big step; In the war against "gun control", we have lost a skirmish (lack of recognition of the LTCH) and won a large battle (recognition of the right), and IMHO, we're doing well in this war. I don't think that the war will ever be won in its entirety, as there will always be people who consider their desire to "feel safe" to be of greater importance than anyone else's right to BE safe. Let's just keep after it... As it stands, our LTCH is recognized in over half the country. I'd like to see Indiana relax the requirement of living or working here to obtain the LTCH and have us collect some of that revenue that Utah, Florida, and Arizona are now collecting. :twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom