• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I will be using my Ruger American .308 to hunt this year across a field to a spot where I can only ever get within 160 yards from a blind. This is a tad outside my comfy zone with my .44 mag. I am planning on adding a Nikon 4-12X40 BDC to the gun and was playing around with their Spot On App that calcs the range and ballistics based on the ammo you select as well as the yardage zero.

I have always had great luck with Winchester Powerpoints for accuracy so I opted for those. With the wind and temperature today, a 200-250 yard shot shows minimal drift of 2 inches. Wind was up yesterday to around 20 mph and I think the drift at this range was around 6 inches.

I know during season the wind can be pretty high some days and I don't think I would have thought to practice in such high winds without seeing a ballistics table and doing my research ahead of time. I would have just assumed a few inches drift.

Anyone who hunts out of state practice specifically on windy days to see drift impacts? I bumped the wind speed up to 30 mph and can see at 250 yards the drift is 10.88 inches. That is a large amount of drift when 250 yards is well within the range of the .308 with a good scope.

Just curious if anyone has any experience.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I use a ballistic calculator app on my phone but they're only as accurate as the data you put in. I've always got my phone with me so I update all of the atmospheric conditions anytime I get the coyote rifle out to give me the most accurate data possible. Some of the better options cost a few dollars but its worth it in my opinion. I currently use Ballistic AE on my iPhone.

7mmRM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Celestine , IN
    Why not a 4-12?

4 is plenty low on the bottom and, IMO you can't enough on top. Better to have and not need than need and not have...

FWIW, my deer rifle will have a 4.5-27 Gen2 Vortex Razor.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Use whatever you want.
    I think out to 300 yards a 2-7X is ideal.
    Movers, timber..........2X is nice.
    I don't use my rifle scope as a spotter, and am not worried about measuring B&C possibility before the shot.

Also like a scope to compliment a rifle's looks.

Murph is gonna have some folks at top mag when something happens close and fast.

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Where I do quite a bit of shooting seldom sees wind over 40 MPH, though at higher elevation things can get pretty whippy. The only way to learn it is to shoot in it. Knowing drift at a given wind speed and distance is easy, knowing the speed is voodoo even with the means to directly measure it at the point of ignition.

Shooting in it makes clear the advantages of sleek speedy high BC combinations, which PPs are not nor is anything else in 0.308".

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Where I do quite a bit of shooting seldom sees wind over 40 MPH, though at higher elevation things can get pretty whippy. The only way to learn it is to shoot in it. Knowing drift at a given wind speed and distance is easy, knowing the speed is voodoo even with the means to directly measure it at the point of ignition.

Shooting in it makes clear the advantages of sleek speedy high BC combinations, which PPs are not nor is anything else in 0.308".

Very true. Wind is what separates the men from the boys at distance and learning to call it accurately is voodoo, magic, science and a bit of faith all rolled in together.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The only real solution for the OP, in my opinion, is to get shooting a LOT more, and in the wind, to learn what to do when it counts.

That's the only way.

But also....buy a copy of "The Wind Book for Rifle Shooters". Oh, their other books are pretty good, too.

-Nate

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Yeah, it is for sure something to think about. On a normal day I can ring the metal plate out at 200 yards at my dads club all day long. I will need to make sure and practice in some 20 mph conditions.

It will at a minimum give me the knowledge on if I should or should not be taking a long shot at high winds. I am a really good shot but years of only having to worry about a max range of a .44 mag opens the door for a need to learn and practice.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The scope was given to me so I opted not to pass up a 4-12X40 Nikon BDC. Thanks for telling my OCD that the 4-12X40 is pitiful for a deer rig, now I'll never be happy with the damn 140.00 free thing. Thanks Hookeye.

If you really are OCD then you shouldn't flub it by having the scope cranked up for a close shot in the sticks.

If you aren't OCD you could negate the risks of overmag and use see through rings.
    Chinese ones would be the best bet.................

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I hunted any weather for years. Nice way to see usually nothing.... and get sick.
    Did kill a few. Not worth it.
    Now I consult with the Weather Channel hotties the morning of the hunt. If they say "no" I just click a button and go back to sleep.

Over 20 mph wind, I don't go.
    Prefer 10 or less.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Practice in all conditions, and keep notes so you can remember it when it matters. I shot competition years ago, I wrote everything down so I could compare different ammo performing at different loads, distances, etc. I used a 8.5 x 25 and loved it. You may be shooting in lower light conditions, so a scope with better light transfer is helpful. Best advice I can give you is try what you plan to shoot in conditions you plan to use them. A photographer will show up to a wedding a few days before at the same time of day the wedding will take place to scout out conditions of the sun, shading, etc. etc. I hear of people getting new hunting equipment and hitting the woods without ever even sighting them in. It's my personal belief that hunting is an art, a good experience to be shared with Father and Son, friends, etc. etc. I also think it ethical to be able to kill something as quick and painless as possible. I don't wish to cause one of Gods creatures last moments on earth to be laying there in agony with a poorly placed shot. That is one reason I supported normal rifle's for hunting, and I still refuse to call them HIGH powered rifles. Any rifle is capable of killing a person, so I don't know of any low powered ones. Whatever you decide to use, take it shooting somewhere and practice. If you are hitting your target reliably at that distance, under those conditions then you are probably ok. I suppose most carry rifle with scope on low power, that way you are more prepared for a closer shot, if it's longer you have time to zoom out. Speaking of which, verify your scope zero doesn't change at different powers. I have had lesser expensive scopes and zero them at one power, and the zero changed a lot at a different power. I know they should not, but some do. Once I went to Leupold, that problem seemed to go away. :):

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    If you are shooting at 160 yards, I'm guessing we are talking about a still target? If that is the case, the vast majority of the time I just wait for a lull in the wind before touching off with a bit of KY windage if necessary. There are very few days of 20mph sustained wind and I generally don't hunt an open/long area on them anyway. Those are good days to wander the woods with the wind in your favor or hunt standing corn if there is any. Or, if it is a cold day, I probably don't bother going out to freeze.

Don't overthink this. No harm in being familiar with what your drift is at various wind speeds, but remember they aren't constant velocity/direction across your range of fire so don't get over complicated on it. Choose your hunting location based on conditions and remember there is almost always a lull.

Top Bottom