• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Alright folks Im looking for a little bit of info on this old Winchester. A family member just recently picked up one of the early models in prestine condition. Does anyone have one or even shot one? It looks like a sweet little gun minus the fact that the ammo is darn near impossible to find. any input would be much appreciated.
    101_1457.jpg

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    All I can tell you is that when I was very young and we lived in a little town in SE Missouri, one of our neighbors was a MO HWY Patrol officer. I recall that he had one of these with a larger magazine (10 rds, IIRC) in his patrol car mounted over the passenger-side door. I don't know whether it was his personally-owned rifle or standard issue. At the time, I thought it was about the neatest thing I'd ever seen!

Info taken from an old edition of the "Standard Catalog of Firearms":

"The 1907 was an improved version of the Model 1905 and chambered for the new .351 Winchester Self-Loading cartridge. Outward appearance was the same as Model 1905 except for 20" round barrel. This rifle was available in three different styles:

1. Sporting Rifle, 20 round barrel, plain walnut pistol-grip stock with plain forend. Discontinued in 1937.

2. Fancy Sporting Rifle, 20" round barrel, fancy walnut checkered pistol grip stock and checkered forend.

3. Police Rifle, 20" round barrel, plain walnut pistol grip stock and beavertail forend. This version was fitted with a leather sling and with or without knife bayonet. First introduced in 1937. Winchester discontinued this model in 1957 after having sold about 59,000 guns."

FWIW, dies, data and components for loading the .351 Win. SL cartridge can still be had with a bit of searching. IIRC, Bertram still lists cases for it, although they're quite pricey. IIWY, I'd check around at places such as Graf's and Starline first to see if there isn't a less expensive alternative.

Hope this is of some help to you.

gmwinn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    northern Hamilton county
    Thanks for the info. I have a Model 1905 that has been handed down for a couple of generations. I have a limited supply of ammo and I love to shoot the rifle. It has a very mild kick to it. I am trying to find more ammo for it as well.

Top Bottom