• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hmod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Indy
    I received an old beat up Winchester model 190 semi-auto .22 a few years ago. It had been through some rough times as a ranch gun. When I got my hands on it the first thing I did was clean it. The bolt would stick open durring fire and the trigger group had a gritty feeling. I wanted to do something with it because it is pretty accurate considering the hell it has seen. My buddy and I took it down to the receiver and took apart the trigger group completely and even pulled the barrel to clean everything. Once it was done I thought I could bring it back. Does anyone know what all can be done or have any advice on how to do some refinnishing? Thanks

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As long as you removed all the dirt and grit from the moving parts and lubed it up, that's about as much as you can or should do.
    As for refinishing it, that's generally best avoided with just about anything, be it guns or furniture, unless the extent of the wear or corrosion is so great that the collector value is already irreparably harmed.
    If the gun didn't really have much collector value even in excellent condition, it might possibly be worth investing in refinishing, or even rebluing.
    Just keep in mind that you may well spend as much or more than the rifle itself is worth in fees, money that you would probably be better served in buying a brand new .22, say a 10/22, Marlin 60, or other decent quality rifle.
    Of course, if it's about nostalgia, spending money to make it look nice again may make sense.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    The receiver on the model 190 is an aluminum alloy, so you can't blue it. You would probably get nicer results having someone cerakote the metal parts for you.

I bought a 190 new back around 1970. Don't be too surprised if the trigger still feels "gritty" even after all your work.

Hmod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Indy
    Thank you for the replies on this. I didn't mention before that the rifle was a gift from a friend. It was his first rifle, bought for him as a gift from his dad who passed away about four years ago. This was out in Idaho when my wife and I had lived there for a while. I spoke to him just yesterday about the rifle and what all I my friend and I had done with it so far. It's not worth much to me for any collection value even if it had any at all. I see it as a gift and I feel I would be doing my friend, his father, and a damn good little rifle some justice making it a restoration project (after a nice range day of course). I had thought about refinishing the wood, bluing the barrel, doing something to the receiver, and the magazine tube. The trigger group feels a lot smoother after cleaning. And sorry oldpink but this rifle has outshot any 10/22 I have ever fired. I could consistently hit a small half dollar sized plinker target at 200 yards with open sights after I was able to find it with some trial annd error after it's initial cleaning on the first day. The ruger he had couldn't come close to it. Any suggestions on wood finishes? Thank you Mkgr22 for the aluminum advice.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm no expert on wood finishes, but I know there are lots of DIY kits for it out there that lots of folks on here are bound to be able to inform you about.
    I totally get you about the sentimental value, especially when you tie that in with an unusually accurate rifle, though.
    FWIW, only three years ago, I gritted my teeth and had my beloved Marlin 39A reblued because over a decade ago, I had (oh, so foolishly :( ) left it in a gun case too long, resulting in a badly rusted receiver and part of the barrel.
    I don't intend to ever sell it, so it was worth the ~$200 to take it to Gander Mountain to get that done.
    Also, it's a very accurate .22, one that I have no problem getting 1" or smaller groups with @ 50 yards.

Marlin_39A.jpg

Hmod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Indy
    Ok thank you. Good looking rifle in that picture. I'll try and keep this up so I can put up some pictures of mine after I go to the range this weekend. I put a scope on it last night to see groups at 200 yds. It looks hilarious, its a 6-24x50 long range scope. I know that the scope will out work the rifle but it will help some with magnification.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I like an oil finish on wood stocks, I saw a lot in Europe that sold that way new. If you just clean it up and use some linseed oil on it you might be satisfied with the results. Just follow the instructions and dispose of the rags outside as they might spontaneously combust while drying.

Good luck and have fun.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I bought a duracoat kit and refinished the receiver on a 190. It turned out so well, you almost couldn't tell it had been redone.

For being a cheap gun full of plastic parts, it was a nice shooting rifle.

rock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    West of Indy
    190 was my first rifle at the age of 8 I am know 54, for the stock chemical strip it do not sand, then apply Formbys tung oil finsh, then get the metal done in cerakote midnight blue Item: H-238Q. I highly recommend Allen M (Dimmond Collison)[h=3][/h]

Hmod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Indy
    Thanks for the advice. I did go to the range yesterday. The 190 did well as I expected the scope sucked though. I was able to empty the mag tube of 16 rounds into one hole I covered with a dime at 50 yards. My buddy bought a Nikon 22 scope for his CZ and it is stupid accurate so I'll be buying the same. Its good to know that she's still got it.

Top Bottom