• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Bloomington
    I am new to the forum and thank you for any feedback you can provide.
    My father-in-law recently handed down a few guns for me to eventually hand down to my son. One of them is a Winchester 1895, manufactured in 1900.
    At some point in the guns history it was modified on the forend with a different color wood. Has anyone seen anything like this or know if there was any purpose for such a modification? My father-in-law received it from a close friend over 50 years ago who did not have a history on it.
    Thanks for any thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_9192.jpg
      IMG_9192.jpg
      258.5 KB · Views: 31
    • IMG_9193.jpg
      IMG_9193.jpg
      108.4 KB · Views: 31

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Just for looks and feel. They filled in the groove with the lighter wood, the walnut is still under there as evidenced by the brads that hold the strips in place.

MikeDW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the information and the feel makes sense. Any idea if this was done in a particular time period/decade or just random? I am assuming this would be a custom gunsmith and not Winchester modification.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    The 1895 is a special Winchester.

May I pass along some friendly advice?

If your wife's Dad is passing this along, you better damn make sure you appreciate his daughter and how much he loves her...and you will do well to recognize what that means.

Last edited:

MikeDW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Bloomington
    BigRed, without question and great point. I got incredibly lucky with my wife and father-in-law. He treats me like a son. He sets a great example for me on how to act when my daughters get married.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    BigRed, without question and great point. I got incredibly lucky with my wife and father-in-law. He treats me like a son. He sets a great example for me on how to act when my daughters get married.

Then ask him why the rifle is as it is when he gave it to you.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Like the others, guessing it was a custom job by a very good gunsmith.

Winchester 1895 X2.jpg
    One of my favorite leverguns!!! Unfortunately mine are modern versions while you have a true piece of history!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    OP, what caliber is you 1895? Just love those guns, a guy on Life below zero next gen hunts with one, I think it's in .405 Win, not sure though.. My FIL left me a few guns also, I never expected them, but he knew I loved guns, and his daughter ( not in that order...) and we helped him out a lot over the years, shopping, and taking care of his house. When he passed, he left me his tools, truck, and guns...One was a 30-30 Marlin 336...it will be passed to my son......

MikeDW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Bloomington
    OP, what caliber is you 1895? Just love those guns, a guy on Life below zero next gen hunts with one, I think it's in .405 Win, not sure though.. My FIL left me a few guns also, I never expected them, but he knew I loved guns, and his daughter ( not in that order...) and we helped him out a lot over the years, shopping, and taking care of his house. When he passed, he left me his tools, truck, and guns...One was a 30-30 Marlin 336...it will be passed to my son......
    It is stamped a 30 U.S. so (30-40 Krag). I will check out Life Below Zero, be great to see it in action. I love the 336 and what a great gun to hand down.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    That was about the time they were working on the 30'03, the forerunner of the 30'06.

Now, if you had a prototype for the 30'03 you'd have something...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    The only survivor of the 30'03 is the .270 which is a necked down version.

They had ballistic problems with the round and ended up shortening the case and making other changes to get our first 'spitzer'.

MikeDW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Bloomington
    The only survivor of the 30'03 is the .270 which is a necked down version.

They had ballistic problems with the round and ended up shortening the case and making other changes to get our first 'spitzer'.
    Very interesting history of the 270. I love to shoot my 270 but didn't realize the 30'03 was the original

Top Bottom