Not open for further replies.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    I won't judge others for their choices, but am saddened by the resistance, and mistrust of the vaccine, and the science behind it.

I know some individuals who are hardened and resisting just to say they resisted. I feel as Jamil does.

What saddens me is the fact that our society has reached a level of distrust in government, science, medical and others. How did this happen and where/when will it end. There was a time I did openly trust.

I spent my entire career (44 years) in the medical arena; patient care and education. I have taken all vaccines up to this one. As I stated before, I struggle with this one. I think I struggle because it was (is) so politicized. As far as I can tell, the only benefit of the vaccine is it's ablility to lessen the symptoms; transmission can still occur. (I am sure I will be called out on that).

I respect everyone's decision with this vaccine.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I know some individuals who are hardened and resisting just to say they resisted. I feel as Jamil does.

What saddens me is the fact that our society has reached a level of distrust in government, science, medical and others. How did this happen and where/when will it end. There was a time I did openly trust.

I spent my entire career (44 years) in the medical arena; patient care and education. I have taken all vaccines up to this one. As I stated before, I struggle with this one. I think I struggle because it was (is) so politicized. As far as I can tell, the only benefit of the vaccine is it's ablility to lessen the symptoms; transmission can still occur. (I am sure I will be called out on that).

I respect everyone's decision with this vaccine.
    I think how we reached this point is that the reality we perceive isn't what we hear from government, science, medical and others. And maybe sometimes our perception is wrong. It's rarely ALL wrong. Fauci, for example, did a lot to harm his own word in my mind. I think that's legitimately perceiving reality. He admitted to lying to the public to manipulate an outcome. Well, he's obviously willing to lie to achieve whatever outcome he wants. I think it's reasonable not to trust what he says.

But then there are some areas where our perception is biased and so maybe that's not as close to reality. It's hard to know when that's the case.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    My take is if the "models" that were used to develop this vaccine are anything like the models used to predict climate change or the spread of covid early on that are so far off, then no I don't trust it one bit. I know of a couple people that got the vaccine and both reported if they were to have to go through it again, they won't.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    So Pfizer received almost 1 billion to develop the covid vaccine from the federal government(you).

Now it is setting record profits.
    Pfizer expects to sell $15 billion worth of Covid-19 vaccines in 2021. That would make it the second-highest revenue-generating drug anytime, anywhere, according to industry reports.(Lipitor is still number one with almost 20 billion in sales for 2019 the last year I could find).

Will COVID-19 vaccines be free?​

The vaccines purchased with U.S. taxpayer funds will be free for most Americans, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). But, some vaccine providers could charge an “administration fee” for providing the shot. Your insurance company may reimburse that fee, though.

“Either your insurance will pay for the vaccine series, or it will be paid by federal funding,” explains Brynna Connor, health care ambassador at NortWestPharmacy.com. “Patients will not be responsible for payment for the coronavirus vaccine.”

So again taxpayers are paying for it. In every possible way.

I believe this is what people commonly refer to as socialized medicine.

Still not getting either of the available vaccines. Though I will consider the J&J one when it is avaliable(within the next two months it is expected to be available).

Last edited:

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    So Pfizer received almost 1 billion to develop the covid vaccine from the federal government(you).

Now it is setting record profits.

If you had actually read the CNN article you linked, you'd have noticed Pfizer is not mentioned ONE SINGLE TIME.

Why? Because Pfizer didn't take any OWS funding for vaccine development.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    As far as I can tell, the only benefit of the vaccine is it's ablility to lessen the symptoms; transmission can still occur. (I am sure I will be called out on that).

Not trying to "call you out"...but:

Its not that SARS-CoV-2 vaccine won't prevent transmission, it is that wasn't tested for in Stage 3 trials so there isn't enough data to say conclusively AT THIS POINT.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence (third time I've posted this phrase in this thread, I think).

That being said, AstraZeneca's continued trials showed up to 67% decrease in transmission from their vaccine, and I believe ongoing trials to determine exactly this are ongoing with Pfizer & Moderna mRNA vaccines.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    Many are posting reasons I do not want it. Lack of data, not enough data and or who's managing the data we have.

Personally I do not want to be a guinea pig for big brother.

Just my stand at this moment. It can change by this evening....

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    If you had actually read the CNN article you linked, you'd have noticed Pfizer is not mentioned ONE SINGLE TIME.

Why? Because Pfizer didn't take any OWS funding for vaccine development.
    Pfizer accepted 2 billion from the Trump administration in July(for future delivery of vaccine that was not developed yet as part of OWS).

I believe you are referring to BioNTech that helped Pfizer work on the vaccine that received $445 million from Germany.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Pfizer accepted 2 billion from the Trump administration in July(for future delivery of vaccine that was not developed yet as part of OWS).

I believe you are referring to BioNTech that helped Pfizer work on the vaccine that received $445 million from Germany.

Pfizer received a $1.95B contract for 100M firm doses of vaccine. That is not the same thing as federal funds for vaccine development, as Moderna/J&J/Novavax/etc. received (note: those companies also got contracts for firm orders).

Perhaps BioNTech got aid from Germany to help develop their vaccine...but they didn't get any from the United States as you claimed.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    1-in-4 Americans have no intention of getting the vaccine so we will reach herd immunity when a bunch more people get Covid and recover from it, which hopefully times well with vaccinations to reach a high enough level that a combination of infected, recovered & vaccinated people = herd immunity.

Why do you say a bunch more people will have to get Covid and recover from it for herd immunity? Per the article herd immunity will require 70-85% to be immune, 75% say they will take the vaccine that more than meets the lower threshold, and only 10% shy of the upper. What percent of people have already had and recovered from it? Best I can find is about 7.8% of the population in the US have had it, unknown about the percent recovered/died.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    About 26.5M confirmed US cases of SARS-CoV-2.

CDC estimates 4.6 infections for every confirmed positive.

That’d be roughly 122M infections, or 37%ish of the US population.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    About 26.5M confirmed US cases of SARS-CoV-2.

CDC estimates 4.6 infections for every confirmed positive.

That’d be roughly 122M infections, or 37%ish of the US population.
    Yeah, I was going by just the confirmed. Since the unconfirmed are unknown and just estimated. But then again with some of the stories I've heard the actual unconfirmed might be unknown as well, so...

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Exactly.

They took payment for goods they were delivering. Just like you pay for cellphone service ... you pay and they deliver the product.

They did not get research and development money to create the vaccine.
    So the NIH paying for the phase 1,2,and 3 means Pfizer was not funded by government money?

Here is the reason Pfizer is claiming it received no federal funds to develop its version.

"The NIH claims joint ownership of Moderna's coronavirus vaccine"​

It would not matter if the federal government paid for the entire development. Not with 15 Billion in profits on the line. Politicians cost millions not billions. The media is even cheaper.

Here is an interesting thing you may not have noticed,a huge change.
    "

Pfizer’s CTI for NIH Researchers​

See from 2014-2019(actually Febuary 2020) NIH and Pfizer's centers for therapeutic innovations where a JOINT government/private project. Period. "A cooperative research and development agreement (CRADA) collaboration with CTI included, among other things, access to Pfizer’s drug development enterprise and publishing rights. "

Now if the NIH had a CRADA in 2020...it would mean like Moderna the NIH would have joint ownership.

Hence the program vanished into thin air.

Believe what you will. I really do not care. No matter what way you break it down taxpayers funded it,and you certainly are paying for the profits and bounses at Pfizer.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

From your article, Pfizer did not accept the money before it was developed. It states that they entered into a contract in which they will receive 2 billion for 100 million doses after it receives approval. Why not just admit you were wrong, it happens to everybody.
    What the U.S. did, meanwhile, was commit to buying hundreds of millions of vaccines in advance to ensure Americans were among the first in line if it clinches an emergency-use authorization or approval from the FDA. The Trump administration agreed in July to pay almost $2 billion for 100 million doses, with an option to acquire as many as 500 million more, once that clearance comes.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I received my second dose (Moderna) 2 days ago. I had the expected response starting late Wed night and through Thursday: headache, fatigue, mild chills. I had taken the day off of work so it was not a big problem. I'm 100% normal today.

Unfortunately, still no 5G reception ;)

My 87 yr old parents received their first dose in Illinois today. Illinois vaccine rollout is a clusterf*** compared to Indiana. I had to make multiple phone calls to finally get them scheduled.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom