Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think I see some twisting and confusion here.
    I remember people, myself included, questioning some of Trump's overstatements. At the same time a lot of what he said was right. I supported his policies, but give him a free ride on everything he said? No. That sounds more like the obummer worshipers to me.
    And the "literally satan" crap? That is from the TDS crowd. I don't remember anybody saying that about bidet, except for you now.

No. Really. 0biden IS literally satan. Except with dementia. I AM saying that. Hyperbolically of course.

I don't think I have TDS. And I don't think I could be reasonably considered an ardent supporter either. No twisting is intended. My point is obviously not about Trumpers or 0beden worshipers. It is that people are predisposed to believe the people they trust. And they predisposed to disbelieve the people they don't trust. If saying it that way brings less anxiety, then I'll say it that way. And BTW, I have not considered you an ardent Trumper.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Senator Paul’s point about infection-conferred immunity is valid, and unfairly downplayed by public health policymakers.

That said, it doesn’t address the question of when people will believe COVID vaccines are “safe”.
    It will never be as "safe" as infection-conferred immunity. So my decision to get vaccinated or not will depend on risk vs. reward.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think this great big fat "if" is what we're all talking around.
    ETA: to be fair, most of us, not all. Not trying to lump everybody in the same two different pots.
    I kinda thing there are two pods on this issue, but that doesn't mean that there are only two positions one can hold.

There is the "no ****ing way" pod. And there is the "everyone must be vaccinated" pod. And then everyone else isn't really in a pod. They're just like normies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Senator Paul’s point about infection-conferred immunity is valid, and unfairly downplayed by public health policymakers.

That said, it doesn’t address the question of when people will believe COVID vaccines are “safe”.
    I kinda think that'll settle to a point where the people who can be convinced they're safe will believe that. And the people who can't be convinced won't. I have no idea how many will land where.

But, one point about that. At some point it becomes irrational to believe the vaccine is wildly dangerous when the 100 millions of people with shots in arms are not having wildly bad times with it. Of course that works both ways. It's just that time down the road, if wildly bad things do happen who will link that to this vaccine?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I will repost my response.

Rand Paul said it best. I'm going with this attitude.

Speaking with a conservative host on WABC radio in New York, Paul, an ophthalmologist, said he won't change his mind unless "they show me evidence that people who have already had the infection are dying in large numbers or being hospitalized or getting very sick."

"I just made my own personal decision that I'm not getting vaccinated, because I've already had the disease, and I have natural immunity," Paul said.
    I'm not sure what you are arguing about. After having the COVID virus, is somebody telling you to get vaccinated too?
    Around here that isn't being done. The viral experience gives you immunity in the same way a vaccine does.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A colleague of mine who had COVID in March 2020, who was still dealing with lingering respiratory symptoms in mid-June 2020. I had another colleague who was hospitalized with it after passing out at urgent care with saturated O2 of 83(!!!) whose personal physician recommended he not be more than 30 minutes from an ER for four months due to heightened risk of embolism.

A science-based college degree and personal analysis of data led me to my conclusion.

I'm not predisposed to think I'm always and consistently being lied to by "the government, media, and pharmaceutical companies". Could they? Yes, but as a skeptic I don't immediately distrust - I personally verify.

I know people who have been completely asymptomatic, people who only had "allergy symptoms", people who had "a cold" or "the flu", people who had a "bad flu", and people who were hospitalized. I know people dealing with long COVID symptoms months after their infection, people who pass a FAA medical every six months and aren't in obese type II diabetic two packs a day shape. I've known people who have had COVID more than once. I've known people who have tested positive for COVID more than a month later (due to dead, non-contagious virus remaining in nasalpharyx). I know dozens of people who have been quarantined overseas by foreign governments after testing positive, sometimes in conditions a half-step above that of prison.

My evaluation is being sick sucks (regardless of cause) and if a safe/effective vaccine minimizes my odds of being sick, then give me the needle. This is true of influenza now, chicken pox for my kids, and shingles when I get older.

YMMV, and that's perfectly fine...vaccine shaming doesn't exactly win 'hearts and minds'.
    What was the source of data you used to determine that the vaccine is safe? It doesn't even have approval, though as already expressed most of us expect that to be a rubber stamp slam dunk because too much is invested by TPTB to not go ahead, whitish another valid reason to question...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

First I would need to see a virus of sufficient virulence to warrant taking a vaccine at all.

I do not subscribe to the common thinking that the pharmaceutical industry should provide a pill for everything and if they do, I should take it.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I'm not sure what you are arguing about. After having the COVID virus, is somebody telling you to get vaccinated too?
    Around here that isn't being done. The viral experience gives you immunity in the same way a vaccine does.
    Yeah, the CDC STILL says you should get the vaccine after having covid, AND if you want one of the immunization cards that are REQUIRED for some flights, or to enter some establishments, or attend some sports and concert venues, you STILL have to get vaccinated. There should be a card that shows you had covid and survived (unless voting democrap) and therefore you don’t NEED to be vaccinated.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think I see some twisting and confusion here.
    I remember people, myself included, questioning some of Trump's overstatements. At the same time a lot of what he said was right. I supported his policies, but give him a free ride on everything he said? No. That sounds more like the obummer worshipers to me.
    And the "literally satan" crap? That is from the TDS crowd. I don't remember anybody saying that about bidet, except for you now.
    Using cutsie nicknames doesn't lend credence to your post.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I kinda think that'll settle to a point where the people who can be convinced they're safe will believe that. And the people who can't be convinced won't. I have no idea how many will land where.

But, one point about that. At some point it becomes irrational to believe the vaccine is wildly dangerous when the 100 millions of people with shots in arms are not having wildly bad times with it. Of course that works both ways. It's just that time down the road, if wildly bad things do happen who will link that to this vaccine?
    When everybody that’s gotten it falls over dead in two years and no babies are born between now and then we’ll know.
    Purple as required.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Using cutsie nicknames doesn't lend credence to your post.

:rolleyes:

How bout pictures?

LjcwrYxD_400x400.jpg

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    No. Really. 0biden IS literally satan. Except with dementia. I AM saying that. Hyperbolically of course.

I don't think I have TDS. And I don't think I could be reasonably considered an ardent supporter either. No twisting is intended. My point is obviously not about Trumpers or 0beden worshipers. It is that people are predisposed to believe the people they trust. And they predisposed to disbelieve the people they don't trust. If saying it that way brings less anxiety, then I'll say it that way. And BTW, I have not considered you an ardent Trumper.

I think I read your post all wrong. Kind of like I got off on the wrong foot and then it developed its own inertia. Sorry about that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom