Will it hurt a dog's ears to be around the sound of gunfire?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread but with so many hunters and service dogs here goes...

We are bringing home a pup soon (sweet shelter pup just over 6 months old we think) and would like him to be comfortable around the sound of gunfire or at least be familiar enough with it to not be frightened. We have a friend who lets us shoot at his outdoor range and this little guy will be with us enjoying some time outside and sniffing around in the woods. I want to protect his hearing but have no idea where to start. He and I will likely be 100 yards away from the range when the boys are plinking.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It scares most dogs, but given how many people hunt with dogs I don't think it actually hurts them. We had rabbit dogs when I was a boy and they didn't seem to go deaf any earlier than any other farm dogs did (not until they were old enough to start getting cataracts, etc.)

No expert, though, just going from my admittedly limited personal experience.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    i have spoken to my vet (licensed Doctor of Veterinarian Medicine) and was told that the anatomy of a dogs ear canal is such that the intense sound waves are unable to hit the ear drum in a head on manner and hurt them. If you look at the anatomy of a human ear, its almost a strait path for sound to travel from the outside to the ear drum allowing the sharpness and intensity of sound waves to fully attack the human eardrum. A dogs ear is much different in that the sound is required to make a sharp 90 degree turn to hit the drum, thus preventing the sound from causing damage or hearing loss.

DOGS ear anatomy
    ear_diagram_pet.jpg

HUMAN ear anatomy
    300px-Anatomy_of_the_Human_Ear.svg.png

hope this provides some insight to your question

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    i have spoken to my vet (licensed Doctor of Veterinarian Medicine) and was told that the anatomy of a dogs ear canal is such that the intense sound waves are unable to hit the ear drum in a head on manner and hurt them. If you look at the anatomy of a human ear, its almost a strait path for sound to travel from the outside to the ear drum allowing the sharpness and intensity of sound waves to fully attack the human eardrum. A dogs ear is much different in that the sound is required to make a sharp 90 degree turn to hit the drum, thus preventing the sound from causing damage or hearing loss.

DOGS ear anatomy
    ear_diagram_pet.jpg

HUMAN ear anatomy
    300px-Anatomy_of_the_Human_Ear.svg.png

hope this provides some insight to your question

NoW THAT'S a good answer.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    It depends on how close to the firearm they are, just like humans.
    The short answer is "Yes" it will harm their hearing the same as humans.
    Horses too. I remember Roy Rogers shooting right over the head of Trigger, his horse but that sound was dubbed into the film. They were light, smoke loads much like they use in todays horseback balloon busts.
    I had a cat that unbeknownst to me walked up behind me just as I fired into the ground to stop a mole, well I got the mole but that cat couldn't hear anything for months. You could smack your hands together right behind his head and he wouldn't respond.

Last edited:

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It depends on how close to the firearm they are, just like humans.
    The short answer is "Yes" it will harm their hearing the same as humans.
    Horses too. I remember Roy Rogers shooting right over the head of Trigger, his horse but that sound was dubbed into the film. They were light, smoke loads much like they use in todays horseback balloon busts.

i would agree to an extent with the above. if your using your dogs head as a rest to shoot a 300 win mag or shooting of horse back , their may be some problems. a dog sitting near you when you plinking with a pistol or your ar should be nothing to worry about

cat ear anatomy is more similar to a humans with more of a direct path to the fragile ear drum, unlike a canine
    cat%20ear%20anatomy2.jpg

Last edited:

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    my brother was a Canine handler in the USMC (lucky fool got the honor i wasnt able to get) and he said they started small and far away, while the PUPPY had a toy or bumper.
    they would then get the dogs closer and the sounds louder. so start small and work your way up. im sure there is better info than this on many bird and duck dog forums and magazines. start there and you will find what you need im sure

my brother and his dog Susie in afgan 2010this small lab did 7 combat deployments in 6 years!! salty salty salt dog
    183742_1743861690082_7816422_n.jpg

my suggestion is to get a 22caliber and some sub sonics, as they are about as quiet as you can get and work up from there, making sure the dog is occupied with a toy or bone. make a game of it. have them stay in one place then shoot a subsonic followed by some wrestling or running or whatever

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    i would agree to an extent with the above. if your using your dogs head as a rest to shoot a 300 win mag or shooting of horse back , their may be some problems. a dog sitting near you when you plinking with a pistol or your ar should be nothing to worry about

cat ear anatomy is more similar to a humans with more of a direct path to the fragile ear drum, unlike a canine
    cat%20ear%20anatomy2.jpg

Well, if your dogs hearing is not a concern of yours then go ahead and take a chance, it's not like it will harm you if your wrong.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    It does but if your going to hunt with them you need to get them use to the sound of a firearm. My dads dog is kenneled back by where his range is and we shot there and it doesnt bother her.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Starting as puppy with a variety of noises from a distance and including using firecrackers while they are eating is a good place to start. I have a German Shepherd that has never been bothered by gun fire I took him to a range at 8 weeks old gun fire was 100 yards away and the first couple f pistl and rifle shots caused him to glance in that directions. Shotgun caused a little bit of a startle. At about 6 months he was andering arund behind me while I was shooting an AK. Next thing I knew he was standing between my legs. Now he goes to 3 gun matches and lays down beside my cart while I'm shooting.

Sometimes breeding has something to do with the response also.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    It does but if your going to hunt with them you need to get them use to the sound of a firearm. My dads dog is kenneled back by where his range is and we shot there and it doesnt bother her.

There is a difference between "bothering" them and "harming" them and how would you know the difference. Is there a hearing test for dogs?
    I lost my hearing to gunfire and I'm old enough to remember returning WWII Vets with permenate hearing loss.
    This was before the military provided hearing protection and it was a common thing to see deaf ex military vets.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    my brother was a Canine handler in the USMC (lucky fool got the honor i wasnt able to get) and he said they started small and far away, while the PUPPY had a toy or bumper.
    they would then get the dogs closer and the sounds louder. so start small and work your way up. im sure there is better info than this on many bird and duck dog forums and magazines. start there and you will find what you need im sure

my brother and his dog Susie in afgan 2010this small lab did 7 combat deployments in 6 years!! salty salty salt dog
    183742_1743861690082_7816422_n.jpg

my suggestion is to get a 22caliber and some sub sonics, as they are about as quiet as you can get and work up from there, making sure the dog is occupied with a toy or bone. make a game of it. have them stay in one place then shoot a subsonic followed by some wrestling or running or whatever

Good suggestion.....when I was kid I got a black cocker spaniel, it was my best friend and the best rabbit an quail dog, it was all instincts, she was a hunting fool....when she was about 6 months old Dad said it was time to see if she was going to be gun shy, they either are, or they aren't....he took his 20 guage out and Pep followed him looking at him as he aimed towards the swamp and fire....she didn't even flinch, just keept looking.....Dad said shes going to be a good hunting dog......everytime I got one of the guns down she would just about pee herself......lol......good memories.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Well, if your dogs hearing is not a concern of yours then go ahead and take a chance, it's not like it will harm you if your wrong.

We have been hunting game over dogs for centuries. I have personally hunted bird dogs, duck dogs, rabbit dogs, coon dogs and have yet to make one go deaf.

My current dog will lay 10 feet away while we shoot handguns and AR's. If it was causing him any discomfort, he'd move.

When I get a new pup, I start by making some noise while he eats. Bang some pots and pans together or something. Then get him outside playing with something and have a buddy shoot a .22 a little ways away. Gradually up the size of the gun you're firing and decrease distance to dog.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have six dogs and three don't like shooting and the other three it don't bother. Two strays that moved in to my barn didn't like shooting at all when they first moved in. Now when the see me setting up to shoot they go under the travel trailer and go to sleep. Before they would run off and hide. The old hound we have don't like loud noises at all not even thunder storms. He will go hide in a close dark place.

I don't hunt with dogs. I have never tried to train one to put up with the noise. I do think it is uncomfortable for them like it is for us, because of the way they act.

I also know that when they want to listen to something they raise there ears.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    When I was training my lab pup for upland hunting I bought cheap starter pistol. I would take her out to the field and start by firing it up in the air near the dog. Then as time went on fire the pistol over her head as if firing a shotgun at a bird. It worked out for me.

Top Bottom