• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I think I would have gotten out and probably drawn my weapon and instructed him to get back in his car.

I'm curious about other opinions on what happened and how you would handle it....
    That is like saying I will trade a tank hidden in the woods for a 1911 and standing in an open field. The gun is only for after the vehicle runs out of gas or too many bodys are piled up under it for it too proceed.

Your tactics suck. What if he pulled his weapon, stepped to the side behind your vehicle using it as cover, called you a ***** and instructed you that you just entered into a gun fight? I will remind you that you are now standing out in the open. Kids alone inthe car. FYI your wife's tactics sucked too, starting with rolling down the window.

Your wife is mad at herself becasue she found herself cornered, unarmed, unprepared for that kind of situation and in the end unable to defend herself. It is not nautral to enjoy being a victim. Act on the lesson learned.

Conflict in traffic and on the roads is not an if question, but rather a when.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    What's worse hyperbole or lying? No judgment? Then why the need to lecture me?

i agree, the whole message was directed as judgement obviously, and the smiley faces were a direct condescension directed towards you, i don't appreciate stuff like that and i'm certain you don't either

Either your purple is broken or you are way too sensitive to opinions that differ from your own. Hopefully the former and not the latter.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    So many people are saying to use mace.. So this crazed man walks up to your car full of kids, and you are going to roll down your window? And what about back spray from his face, or off our car window and now you have maced him, you, and the kids.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Actually when they get out of the car. They are putting themselves in a bad position. They look like an idiot when you take off and they are 40 foot from their car high and dry and now the guy behind them is POed at them because the guy out of the car is blocking them. As soon as you see someone angry approaching your car. GET YOUR CAR MOVING. Get on down the road and leave them standing in the road.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Please remind people and your wife to use the horn, Scum hate loud noises. Lay on the horn non stop. Even IF she had a gun, use the horn.
    You wouldn't think that would further escalate the issue? If a crazy guy was walking up to my window... I would think holding the horn would just **** them off more, but I've never tried :).

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    That is like saying I will trade a tank hidden in the woods for a 1911 and standing in an open field. The gun is only for after the vehicle runs out of gas or too many bodys are piled up under it for it too proceed.

Your tactics suck. What if he pulled his weapon, stepped to the side behind your vehicle using it as cover, called you a ***** and instructed you that you just entered into a gun fight? I will remind you that you are now standing out in the open. Kids alone inthe car. FYI your wife's tactics sucked too, starting with rolling down the window.

Your wife is mad at herself becasue she found herself cornered, unarmed, unprepared for that kind of situation and in the end unable to defend herself. It is not nautral to enjoy being a victim. Act on the lesson learned.

Conflict in traffic and on the roads is not an if question, but rather a when.

I just caught the part you quoted.

OP, You can't pull your firearm for somebody yelling at you. Thats a great way to get yourself shot, or arrested.

If I was yelling at somebody for whatever reason and they pulled a firearm out, thats when I pull mine and shoot. You escalated it to deadly force by pulling yours. Zero reason to pull your weapon out for somebody pissing and moaning at you.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    No, you can't get out of your car & confront the other person if you want to be able to maintain your right of self-defense.

"No duty to retreat" does NOT mean that you can be a party in ESCALATING the confrontation. At that point you have implied that you have entered into mutual combat. If you pull your gun out & shoot the guy at that point without showing that you were under a clear & imminent threat then you no longer have right to claim self-defense.

It's kind of similar to the mistake that George Zimmerman made and what I think is going to be his undoing. He escalated (or flat out created) a situation in which he confronted someone who was no threat & had commited no crime and when that person responded to that escalation (by likely escalating it himself) he killed the guy then tried to claim self-defense in a situation almost entirely of his own making.

Yelling at you without some other indication that they mean you harm is no indication of a threat. Especially one that justifies deadly force.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Finity. It's not that simple. Arguing or even yelling at someone doesn't eliminate your claim to self defense. I still agree that getting out is a very bad idea, but the concept of engaging in mutual combat is a much more complicated issue. Definitely not black and white.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    As far as the wife carrying, or anyone for that matter, it is as simple as this:

Ask yourself "Do I have what it takes to kill someone?" If the answer is no, you don't need to carry a gun. You pull a gun, you are pulling it to kill, not maim, scare or incapacitate

I disagree . Incapacitate is the legal equivelent of STOPPING the threat. If you are to fire a weapon you do not "shoot to kill", you shoot to STOP!!

Sorry, but in my world...(legal) there IS a difference and can decide whether you go home or go to prison...

AIAALIANYL. YMMV

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Finity. It's not that simple. Arguing or even yelling at someone doesn't eliminate your claim to self defense. I still agree that getting out is a very bad idea, but the concept of engaging in mutual combat is a much more complicated issue. Definitely not black and white.

To some extent I agree with you but once you are involved in a verbal altercation that escalates to violence it would be very hard to prove that you weren't somehow an instrument in that escalation.

The best course is to simply remove yourself from the APPEARANCE that you were possibly squaring off with the other person.

IOW, just stay in the car. If, at that point, the other person makes it obvious that they are going to do more than yell then, at least, you don't have witnesses saying "those two people were fighting & then that one shot the other one".

It's up to you to make it as black & white as possible to protect yourself legally.

bnatc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Stay in vehicle and try to get away from the immediate risk. Getting out of vehicle is asking for trouble.
    IF stuck in one spot, lock doors, windows up, and have plan B cocked and locked just in case.
    You didn't mention seeing a weapon on the person approaching your vehicle????

Sounds like good advice to me...

Top Bottom