• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I would make her think through what happened if she was armed and pulled a gun when she could've drove away. Charges for brandishing a weapon, maybe a misdemeanor? And if she fired and missed, even worse, probably felony charges. Now, if she actually shot the guy, right or wrong... she'd be getting an attorney like George Zimmerman, and would probably loose her job/life as she knows it. Imagine being in his shoes.

I carry a gun and I will use it if necessary, but it would have to be a situation where, if I didn't pull my weapon the outcome would be worse than whatever legal ramnifications occur. I'm okay with going bankrupt and even spending time in prison, if I can prevent myself or family from being mamed or murdered.

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Who says she could have instantly driven away? Seems there was plenty of traffic. Why else was she still there?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Stay in vehicle and try to get away from the immediate risk. Getting out of vehicle is asking for trouble.
    IF stuck in one spot, lock doors, windows up, and have plan B cocked and locked just in case.
    You didn't mention seeing a weapon on the person approaching your vehicle????
    This is what I would do .... the other person, doesn't even have to know I have plan "B" in MY HAND .....

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Who says she could have instantly driven away? Seems there was plenty of traffic. Why else was she still there?
    Nobody said she could, just saying it's better to avoid in this situation if it's possible.

Without being there, it's impossible to know every intricate detail of the situation.

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    top post on this page:
    "I would make her think through what happened if she was armed and pulled a gun when she could've drove away."

Unless I am misreading it...that's exactly what netsecsvc is saying.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    I would have tried to drive away first, if I couldn't go anywhere I'd definately have my weapon at ready on my side, but I'd probably just pepper spray his dumb *** and laugh.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Left turns onto a busy roadway are extremely dangerous and are avoided by all professional drivers including UPS and FedEx delivery drivers. She, and all of us, would be wise to follow their lead on this.

How would a gun in her hand have resolved this? By killing the other guy? For yelling at her? She has children that need their mother in the home, not in prison.

By the description, there was no threat to her life or the childrens lives. It sounds like she responded to his anger with the appropriate response because he backed down.

Ridgeway

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    As had been said a gun should not have come into the equation. She had an avenue of escape by turning right. even without a duty to retreat in a self defense situation.it may be preferable. Lowering the window and yelling could escalate the situation.

I had a similar incident years ago. Fellow got out of car and ran at me. Looked like he was going to kick the door or punch the window. I had an avenue of escape and took it. drawing and shooting is an absolute last resortagainst imminent grave harm or death. Why leave a vehicle capable of safely removing you from the situation?

Even if she had to wait to turn. There was no immediate risk of death or grave bodily injuryat that point.

Last edited:

Luke76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Charges for brandishing a weapon, maybe a misdemeanor?

There is no brandishing law in Indiana. Only a law against pointing a weapon at someone which is a felony if it's loaded. This is only if you are not acting in self defense though.

IC 35-47-4-3
    Pointing firearm at another person
    Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    (1) IC 35-41-3-2; or
    (2) IC 35-41-3-3.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    It's a good thing she wasn't armed. Now if the road king had a tire tool bashing in the windows, well, that could possibly require a different action.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I agree with what most others said. Get lots of training before she even thinks about getting a gun....you can't shoot someone because they yelled at you....good way to get a obey way ticket to prison. In meantime look into non lethal options. Glad to hear she's ok and the guy didnt do anything too crazy.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I would not pull gun on him.. Unless I planned on killing him. Trying to back someone off leave too much time for other things to happen. Also, unless he is making me feel "unsafe" in the safety of my own car, there is no reason to get out and threaten him. JMO:dunno:

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    Can you legally roll your window down and pepper spray somebody thats yelling at you?

She could have made it a lot worse by calling the guy an Ahole. My wife just ignores them completely.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Can you legally roll your window down and pepper spray somebody thats yelling at you?

She could have made it a lot worse by calling the guy an Ahole. My wife just ignores them completely.

1. I wouldn't think it's legal to pepper spray someone over words.

2. Good choice on your wifes part by ignoring them and just move on.

jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a duty to retreat when out in public? Even if there isn't I would try to get away first. In the situation described by the OP I would definitely stay in the car. Shooting someone should always be the absolute last resort. You will have a much stronger case in court if you afforded someone opportunities to save themselves.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a duty to retreat when out in public? Even if there isn't I would try to get away first. In the situation described by the OP I would definitely stay in the car. Shooting someone should always be the absolute last resort. You will have a much stronger case in court if you afforded someone opportunities to save themselves.
    I believe in IN., there's no duty to retreat. It makes sense to. Why should you have to move just because an aggressor wants to be an a**hole, especially when it's not feasible to move. Totally understandable if it's a EMS, LE or a rescue situation but joe public can just wait his turn.
    With that said, if at all possible, by any means, it's still best to avoid it and just move on.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    I believe in this situation a warning to the perp that he's about to get pepper sprayed if he doesn't leave would be just fine. You don't know if he's got a weapon or not. Especially if you can't move your vehicle anywhere. I believe a police officer will believe an upstanding citizen with a child in the car over some a**hole who can't keep his mouth shut.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Personally, the second he got out of the van and started walking towards me - I probably would have tried to turn right and get away from the looney. There's no sense in putting yourself at risk/in danger for over a slight inconvenience.

Why do we need a stand your ground doctrine, then? Let's just call it a day and say a reasonable person has a duty to retreat, whether confronted with a serious threat or an annoying cretin.

Screw this guy. I'm turning left. He can wait. If he attacks me or my car, he has problems.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    What good is OC in this scenario???

You would be stupid to put your window down to use it. The only way the window should open is if the other guy is breaking it... in which case I am NOT going to use OC.

Top Bottom