• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Using range ammo for self defense as a cost cutting measure?

I'm sure I'll open myself up to all manner of internet expert criticism, but here goes.

I use Hornady Critical Defense. When i first got my current EDC, an M&P 9c, I ran about 3 or 4 boxes of Critical defense through it after the first 100 rounds of range ammo to make sure it would function. It did. Since then, I run through about a box a year of the Critical Defense with all my other shooting being with various range ammos from Rem/UMC to WWB, to Blazer Brass and Aluminum, to American Eagle, to whatever else I can find at a decent price.

...but the 9c is always loaded with Critical Defense, 12+1 with an extra 17 in a spare mag, everywhere but the range.

What's a box of Critical Defense? $25? C'mon- $25 a year. I spend more than that on Altoids.

I'm not sure why you would think that... Sounds like a good practice/procedure to me. But then, I do something very similar with my SD ammo, Gold Dots.

Cola76

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I use Hornady Critical Duty 9mm 135gr. Never had a problem with it. When I was first looking into carrying I wanted to try Federal HST since it was cheaper ($25/50rds), and seemed to be high quality from the research I had done. However, I have yet to see it at a brick and mortar gun shop. Its available online, but after shipping the price difference is not as motivating. Besides Hornady seems to be everywhere, all the time.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I use Hornady Critical Duty 9mm 135gr. Never had a problem with it. When I was first looking into carrying I wanted to try Federal HST since it was cheaper ($25/50rds), and seemed to be high quality from the research I had done. However, I have yet to see it at a brick and mortar gun shop. Its available online, but after shipping the price difference is not as motivating. Besides Hornady seems to be everywhere, all the time.

That's why I've considered switching from Speer Gold Dot. Locally there are limited places I can find it. So it's harder to shop for price. Easy to get online though if I can justify the shipping.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    My understanding of the agreements reached at the Hague and Geneva conventions is that these rounds are intended to wound and not necessarily kill. It cost's the enemy government many times more resources to treat a wounded soldier than a dead one.

Granted, I'm not an expert on this topic, this info comes from reading a few resources on line.... If this is indeed true, then it's not good enough for me. If I'm faced with the desperate decision of pulling the trigger on a bad guy, I plan on being the only one left to tell the story. Hopefully this theory will never have to be tested.

Do you think FMJ ammo would exist if not for the military's need to abide by these agreements?

Probably. Ball ammo is cheaper compared to hollow point. Ball ammo predates these conventions as well, if I'm not mistaken.

BluBlur

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2015
    I just bought (2) 50 rd boxes of hst 124gr, after shipping came out to $29.50 a box. Compared to $44.99 for the same box locally I'd say it's worth it depending on the prices around you.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    That's why I've considered switching from Speer Gold Dot. Locally there are limited places I can find it. So it's harder to shop for price. Easy to get online though if I can justify the shipping.

SGAmmo has Gold Dots for $24-26/50rds depending upon bullet weight. Their std shipping $12-14 makes it pricey for a box or two, so my typical order is 2 boxes of Gold Dots, 6-8 of Lawman and fill-in some 5.56 or other ammo up to the limit of their std shipping charge. I keep adding ammo until the shipping charge starts to go up.

Depending upon your ammunition sale laws "up the hill", going in with friends and family on an order makes a lot of sense.

I can usually get the shipping down to a $1 per box or less.

Top Bottom