• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    While there are many, many reasons to use self defense ammo in your Every Day Carry, perhaps the most pressing reason is that range ammo simply does not have the quality control that SD ammo has. I stopped by atterbury today to check out the range and put some rounds down range while my wife visited the outlet stores. I was running Winchester white box factory ammo through my Glock 26 and working up quite a sweat as were most shooters on the firing line.

About 10 rounds in, my pistol fails to return completely into battery, I tap, rack and well, that's where it gets interesting. The rack portion required a bit of muscle, but the round finally ejected. When I checked the ejected round, the case was apparently out of round/spec and part of it caught the feed ramp and folded over like a little brass burrito on the side of the case. It's range ammo, cheap and not too concerning when using it to punch holes into paper targets. I get the pistol back into action and the rest of the afternoon is flawless.

That being said, while we know that most folks who carry use SD ammo, THERE ARE exceptions and some folks are carrying range ammo in their carry pistol. I've also heard gun shop comments about how the cheap stuff kills just as good as the expensive stuff, so forth and so on.

SO, I would encourage anyone still using range ammo to at least consider that the life they may be saving, is their own. If you can't buy the good stuff for the sake of others, (completely different conversation), do it for yourself. If I would have used that round as my carry ammo in a Self Defense situation, I would have had a malfunction at the worst possible time.

For the sake of conversation, what are you Ingo'ers using for self defense ammo these days?

9mm Speer Gold Dot +P 124 GR here.

BluBlur

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2015
    I have no idea why someone wouldn't carry hollow points for self defense. When comparing ball vs hollow point for self defense it's a no brainer, not to mention expansion and penetration benefits. Standard pressure Federal HST 124gr are in my g19.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I have no idea why someone wouldn't carry hollow points for self defense. When comparing ball vs hollow point for self defense it's a no brainer, not to mention expansion and penetration benefits. Standard pressure Federal HST 124gr are in my g19.

Simply put? Ignorance or Cost Cutting

I've been given both reasons for 1) carrying ball ammo in their EDC, 2) not rotating out their carry ammo every so often, 3) "It's good enough for NATO..."

So, yes... Ignorance can get you killed!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Remington Ultimate Defense in 9mm and .38+P.

I've never used WWB for target ammo because I've heard too many bad things about it.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Federal HST 9mm 124g for me.

I don't see the point in cheaping out on carry ammo. Its not like you shooting 1000 rounds a month with it. My families life is worth $25 a box for good ammo.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    SD ammo can and does have FTF too. That's why it's critical to try out many different brands before you start carrying it. I had Cor Bon 115 gr jam in my Glock 19 that never jammed in my Beretta 92.
    After trial and error I found my 19 likes mid to heavy weight bullets better than light weight ones.

I carry Underwood 124Gr +P Bonded HP.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    DocGKR's list as of 6/1/2016:

9 mm:
    Barnes XPB 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP (P9HST3)
    Remington Golden Saber bonded 124 gr +P JHP (GSB9MMD)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester 124 gr +P bonded JHP (RA9BA)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr +P PT
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Speer G2 147 gr PT
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

.40 S&W:
    Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP
    Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
    Speer Gold Dot 165 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
    Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
    Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
    Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
    Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)
    Winchester 180 gr bonded JHP (RA40B/Q4355/S40SWPDB1)

.45 ACP:
    Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Hornady Critical Duty 220 gr +P JHP
    Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)
    Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
    Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Dont hate on the WWB. Ive run thousands through my glocks and 1911 and no appreciable problems.

And its not as dirty as some whine about.

:dunno:

(But no, ANY FMJ in a defensive pistol is a bad idea.)

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Federal HST 124 +P in 9mm

and I know I may sound like a broken record here but EVERYONE needs to STOP buying 25/20 round boxes of SD Ammo! You are letting the ammo companies RAPE you here! The police buy theirs in nice STANDARD 50 round boxes and so can you if you look around (and probably have to buy online). Once you find a vendor that sells the LEO 50round boxes the cost is usually almost EXACTLY the same as the 25 round "civilian" retail version!

Example:

Kyle's Gunshop Inc | Federal HST 9mm 124gr +P LE P9HST3 (50 Rounds)

[url]http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Federal-Premium-Personal-Defense-Handgun-Ammo-9MM-Luger-135-gr-JHP&i=764156&r=view&from=grid

[/URL]

Last edited:

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I carry Monarch HP 9mm in my Ruger LC9. Cheap but works every time.

I understand over penetration issues with ball ammo for self defense, but yeah, "good enough for NATO", or "good enough for the US Army" actually is good enough for me.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County

I understand over penetration issues with ball ammo for self defense, but yeah, "good enough for NATO", or "good enough for the US Army" actually is good enough for me.

My understanding of the agreements reached at the Hague and Geneva conventions is that these rounds are intended to wound and not necessarily kill. It cost's the enemy government many times more resources to treat a wounded soldier than a dead one.

Granted, I'm not an expert on this topic, this info comes from reading a few resources on line.... If this is indeed true, then it's not good enough for me. If I'm faced with the desperate decision of pulling the trigger on a bad guy, I plan on being the only one left to tell the story. Hopefully this theory will never have to be tested.

Do you think FMJ ammo would exist if not for the military's need to abide by these agreements?

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    FMJ versus JHP has nothing to do with lethality. All of them will kill. Defensive ammo (not war) is best to STAY in the target. Whilst at war it's best to take out as MANY bad guys as possible with as few rounds as possible. That's how I've always took it. A cheap FMJ will likely go through one or more people. Two different goals here. Defensive carry is NOT soldier at war carry.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Federal HST 124 +P in 9mm

and I know I may sound like a broken record here but EVERYONE needs to STOP buying 25/20 round boxes of SD Ammo! You are letting the ammo companies RAPE you here! The police buy theirs in nice STANDARD 50 round boxes and so can you if you look around (and probably have to buy online). Once you find a vendor that sells the LEO 50round boxes the cost is usually almost EXACTLY the same as the 25 round "civilian" retail version!

Example:

Kyle's Gunshop Inc | Federal HST 9mm 124gr +P LE P9HST3 (50 Rounds)

Federal Premium Personal Defense Handgun Ammo 9MM Luger 135-gr. JHP

I got my HST's for $25/box 50 from SG Ammo. ]

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

Why would you use ammunition that typically does not dump all of its kinetic energy into the target?

There is no self-defense rationale for combatants to shoot ball instead of hollow point. "Good enough" in this case means what some European bureaucrats decided was "good enough" to kill people humanely. About as rational as letting tort lawyers design automobiles.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I like and tend to stick to hardball in my 45's. ASYM at $25 per 50.
    Ive seen what 230 grain hardball does to humans.

My 9's get 147 grain PDX1's, Gold Dots or HST's in standard pressure.

Top Bottom