• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    When I saw it was another video, I was afraid it was going to be another Yeager/Pincus thread. When I saw Vickers, Hackathorn, and Wilson I knew it would be ok.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Nice post! I watched this episode of TacTV when it aired, quality show and subject. I love my 1911's, but I don't carry them. I really do enjoy getting them out and shooting them monthly though. :yesway: If i was rich I would have a Wilson Combat 1911 and go to some classes with these guys. :rockwoot:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Nuances. Idiosyncrasies. Unforgiving. Gotta really take care of it. Gotta feed it the right ammo.

Just what I want from a combat weapon.

Doesnt that pretty much apply to any and all gear in a combat zone?

I mean a good combat knife that has a carbon steel blade can and will usually be sharper and last longer than a stainless one. But if you never clean it and take care of it, all you will have is a rusty stick.

A Glock can and will fail too if not used properly and maintained.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the post....I actually attended this class with my son Rushca01....we had a great time, learned a lot....got to meet some neat people. I spent a lot of time shooting with Col. Tim (the vet in the wheel chair...what a man).

We met Bill Wilson, Ken Hackathorn , who ran a shoot house as part of this and had a 1 day armorers class led by LAV...I won a $1,000 gift certificate from Wilson Combat that I used to purchase a new CQB Elite.

The point of the the class was to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the 1911 and it was filled with a lot of fun drills and challenging competitions. I posted a thread on this right after he class here on INGO last August.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/163365-1911_lav_hackathorn_100_yr_celebration.html

Since I don't get TacTV this is the first time I saw the video that was being filmed during the 3 day class.....kudos for the post:rockwoot:

Last edited:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

Awesome video, and as another had pointed out, all pistols have the same problems. Most have taken ideas from the 1911 and have adapted them to their own weapons, but its still turning heads at over 100 years old. I have 3 of them, and still want more. When I get my carry permit again (military and move, so hard to keep up sometimes) I will be carrying this again.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Doesnt that pretty much apply to any and all gear in a combat zone?

I mean a good combat knife that has a carbon steel blade can and will usually be sharper and last longer than a stainless one. But if you never clean it and take care of it, all you will have is a rusty stick.

A Glock can and will fail too if not used properly and maintained.

THIS! HUGE +1!!!

Having talked to an actual factual Austrian who served in Iraq (mind you, they carry G17s), he claimed that you had to clean them as often as the Americans cleaned their M16s and that was frequently. No matter the "torture tests" or other garbage you see online, ANYTHING can fail and foul, even radios, your cellphone or even as you said, a knife.

To think any piece of weapon or equipment you carry afield whild waltzing matilda doesn't need maintenance or needs minimal maintenance is a deadly mistake.

Honestly, I have had alot of fun with my 1911s, I have hand built a few and had my fun tuning other existing builds. Not completely done with the 1911, but will say this: You must become your own armorer with a 1911. After being slightly tired of tuning and tweaking, I have purchased recently a M&P .45 (I know, I know, the DARK side, lol) and have been nothing but impressed. There is a place for both weapons, but the 1911s DO take a bit MORE maintenance and tuning than the Smith would. But, the Smith will weaken in a few decades, the 1911s may not.

1911s are a professional's weapon, more way than one.... But I am taking the easy way out for a while... :D (Go Smith!)

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    THIS! HUGE +1!!!

Having talked to an actual factual Austrian who served in Iraq (mind you, they carry G17s), he claimed that you had to clean them as often as the Americans cleaned their M16s and that was frequently. No matter the "torture tests" or other garbage you see online, ANYTHING can fail and foul, even radios, your cellphone or even as you said, a knife.

To think any piece of weapon or equipment you carry afield whild waltzing matilda doesn't need maintenance or needs minimal maintenance is a deadly mistake.

Honestly, I have had alot of fun with my 1911s, I have hand built a few and had my fun tuning other existing builds. Not completely done with the 1911, but will say this: You must become your own armorer with a 1911. After being slightly tired of tuning and tweaking, I have purchased recently a M&P .45 (I know, I know, the DARK side, lol) and have been nothing but impressed. There is a place for both weapons, but the 1911s DO take a bit MORE maintenance and tuning than the Smith would. But, the Smith will weaken in a few decades, the 1911s may not.

1911s are a professional's weapon, more way than one.... But I am taking the easy way out for a while... :D (Go Smith!)

Thanks for pointing that out about maintenance. All weapons have to be cleaned, and magazines as well. I know of a LOT of jams on the M9 because of dirty poorly made magazines. I have heard of even AK47s jamming, because like anything else, if they are not maintained, feed good rounds, they will jam on you, and its never a convenient time for a jam or malfunction.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    How can you explain it being in service so long ?

With that one, because it was effective, unfortunatly, not all of them stay in service because they are the best. That's just my :twocents:, the current battle rifle should have been replaced, or never even been issued.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Nuances. Idiosyncrasies. Unforgiving. Gotta really take care of it. Gotta feed it the right ammo.

Just what I want from a combat weapon.

Yeah, you cant be a sissy and use one of those plastic "Wonder Guns" that will work whether they're wet or muddy or full of sand.

I understand the attraction. It's fun to fiddle around with machinery and apparently the 1911s will serve a tinkerer well. I wish I had one ....
    But in a fight, I think I'd rather have a Wonder Gun ...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Yeah, you cant be a sissy and use one of those plastic "Wonder Guns" that will work whether they're wet or muddy or full of sand.

I understand the attraction. It's fun to fiddle around with machinery and apparently the 1911s will serve a tinkerer well. I wish I had one ....

Heretic!!!!:D

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

I'd rather the person had what they were most comfortable with. :twocents:

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Interesting video. I noticed 3 of those shooters were having malfunctions with their 1911s.

I do like the fact that everyone is dodging the 3-4 jams in the video. While sporting $3000 pistols.

Im 0 for 3 on working 1911 colts at around $1000 each i don't think ill try anymore. They are pretty guns, but firearms (at least mine) are tools. Function is what i want in a combat pistol.

Top Bottom