• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Not all software is created equal and is also true for free software.
    My wife's system uses AVG free and it's been fine for years.

I have ran Linux exclusively since it's inception in the late 90s and its all free.
    I haver had a problem with malware or virus and it is faster han windows.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    This would make sense, since I have Spybot on my machine. Honestly though I haven't used it (actively) for quite awhile, so I don't know how necessary it is. I don't know if my AVG (free edition) is enough on its own. As low as my CPU usage is, I guess it's not hurting anything by having it. I keep my AVG up to date, but I haven't updated Spybot in a long time - probably should!

I switched from AVG to Avira a while back. Had heard too many things about AVG just becoming more and more bloated and taking up unnecessary resources from my IT friends. Either one seems good, just a matter of personal preference I guess...

I don't actively run a malaware scanner constantly, more like an monthly tune-up. Usually run them the same time I run CCleaner to tune up my registry and clean junk files left behind after uninstalls and such.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I switched from AVG to Avira a while back. Had heard too many things about AVG just becoming more and more bloated and taking up unnecessary resources from my IT friends. Either one seems good, just a matter of personal preference I guess...

I don't actively run a malaware scanner constantly, more like an monthly tune-up. Usually run them the same time I run CCleaner to tune up my registry and clean junk files left behind after uninstalls and such.

I updated my Malwarebytes and ran a scan the other day and it found about 700 .PUP files? They seemed to be affiliated with Chrome, so I don't know if it was a false positive or a real threat. I couldn't find an option to select them all at once for deletion, so I had to check each box beside the name manually. :n00b: I run CCleaner every time I shut down for the day.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    FWIW, I did find my problem and correct it. It was just a several days after this fell off the front page so I didn't want to bump it back up.

My probably was that a couple weeks ago when downloading an Adobe flash update for Firefox it also automatically downloads a Mcafee AV program. It did not tell me that it downloaded it. But it turns out that McAfee and Symantec were "fighting each other" and killing my CPU usage.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    FWIW, I did find my problem and correct it. It was just a several days after this fell off the front page so I didn't want to bump it back up.

My probably was that a couple weeks ago when downloading an Adobe flash update for Firefox it also automatically downloads a Mcafee AV program. It did not tell me that it downloaded it. But it turns out that McAfee and Symantec were "fighting each other" and killing my CPU usage.

Adobe sneaks that in by default unless you unchecked a box at install or update. I've been bit before myself.
    I'd ditch both McAfee and Symantec as they are resource hogs. Some say it's not enough, but I'm quite content running the free Microsoft Security Essentials and a daily Spybot S&D scan.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom