• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The concept is called the "heckler's veto".

Heckler's veto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Government does not approve of certain constitutional/legal behavior. It then creates burdensome, dangerous, and often criminal conditions for those that act in the targeted manner.

We see it on INGO where police, who do not personally or departmentally approve of citizens exercising their right to carry a pistol, create dangerous, frightening conditions so that citizens will modify their behavior and conform to police expected behavior.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My first thought without reading all the way thru was counterfeiting. Towards the end of the story, that is their excuse. When I was down in Miami a couple of weeks ago the story on the news one night was that various toll roads were going to a completely cashless system. If you had one of their pike passes or whatever they call them down there then your account was charged each time you passed a sensor. If you didn't have one of the electronic gizmos in your car they would snap a picture of your license plate and then send you a bill for the toll in the mail, along with a small "service charge". They eliminated 200 jobs doing this, boy that's something to be proud of in this economy isn't it?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    My first thought without reading all the way thru was counterfeiting. Towards the end of the story, that is their excuse. When I was down in Miami a couple of weeks ago the story on the news one night was that various toll roads were going to a completely cashless system. If you had one of their pike passes or whatever they call them down there then your account was charged each time you passed a sensor. If you didn't have one of the electronic gizmos in your car they would snap a picture of your license plate and then send you a bill for the toll in the mail, along with a small "service charge". They eliminated 200 jobs doing this, boy that's something to be proud of in this economy isn't it?

That electronic gizmo is called a "SUN PASS" & it let's the FLORIDA government know where you're driving, what time, how fast, gives your pattern away:(

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    A one dollar toll fee with a hundred dollar bill? Sounds like someone trying to pass off funny money.

I would agree but there is plenty of information located on your license plate for them to follow up on that. Also, they aren't even reporting the bad bills to LE. Being detained for using a $20? I can't make any sense of that at all.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I would have told her to go ahead and call the Highway Patrol. I don't just give out personal information for any reason. Especially when the currency we use says, "FOR ALL DEBTS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE." Not most debts, all debts. No matter what the bill size is, it's still legal tender.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I would have told her to go ahead and call the Highway Patrol. I don't just give out personal information for any reason. Especially when the currency we use says, "FOR ALL DEBTS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE." Not most debts, all debts. No matter what the bill size is, it's still legal tender.

IIRC this issue has been through the courts... some guy did not want to accept payment in fiat currency or some such thing... the court said if cash was offered and rejected as payment then the bill was considered paid.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Just great!!! I am going to Florida next month to visit my son and his family. I generally take the toll roads. Looks like I will have to program my Tom Tom to miss them all. I do not mind paying as I go, but do not want to be billed later and have to pay a small service charge. That is the state that has its orange-suited prisoners driving up and down the interstates on 4-wheelers to pick up trash with telescoping tools. Whatever happened to letting them walk with a bag and a stick with a nail in one end?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

The main toll road here in Colorado uses this system, and yes, the elimination of government jobs is always something to be proud of, ESPECIALLY in this economy. Government workers are a cost. Some of their services are necessary, but they add nothing to production. Eliminating those jobs saves other people's jobs.

Improving production is always something to be proud of.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    At least as big of a concern is the fact that Florida DOT lied about their policy, threw the toll-takers under the bus, and then tried to cover it up.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Government workers are a cost. Some of their services are necessary, but they add nothing to production. Eliminating those jobs saves other people's jobs.

Improving production is always something to be proud of.

^^^Amen!^^^

Slightly off topic......

Government jobs lost is tax liability shed.
    Take the salary, fringe and infrastructure and put that money back into the hands of the taxpayer (yes, the ones that actually pay taxes, not the voters with no liability) and see what the cash does in the private sector. Done on a large scale, the productive folks out there would better spend that money than the gov't.

On topic...... Total BS they couldn't catch up with the vehicle owner if counterfeit was found after the fact. Holding and burdoning people is over the line.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    They want to force everyone to use a bank and a sunpass to speed up the cashless society. Electronic currency is the goal here. I really like the toll roads in FL that you can get on with no problem, but when you try to exit, there is no one to take cash and if you don't have a sunpass......

Top Bottom