Why DON'T you take any firearms training classes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Why don't you take any firearms training classes?

• Total voters

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    the thing that led me to handguns was witnessing a homocide. Ducking for cover behind a freezer in a bowling alley made me think I might need the tools to defend myself, ie. a handgun, if the killer had decided to take out the witnesses too. Thankfully, he didn't. Too many years after buying a gun and getting my LTCH, I realized I had the tools but very little idea of how to use them effeively. After taking a class I was dumbfounded by how much I didn't know. $125 for a day class is a bargan IMO. Take training or not it is an individual choice. Not taking training is one I no longer understand. Even at $300-400 for all expenses is still a lot less than a funeral or a hospital stay....and a lot more fun.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    none of the above. My wife works every other weekend, I have young kids, guess what weekend the classes always end up on.
    Last year I even talked her into moving her weekends to the opposite weekend hoping for the best, guess what, now I am still on the wrong weekends!

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I live in New Albany, and there aren't (m)any classes (that I'm aware of) south of Indy. That's the main main reason.

Another is that I have no desire to be treated like a recruit. Once was enough. I get the yelling to simulate "stress," but it's a very poor substitute... but it may be effective for some people. I'd love to have grenade simulators tossed instead of yelling.:) I like to be taught by a badass who is so epically badass that he/she doesn't have to act like a badass. :)

I completely agree that 99.9% of family member aren't qualified to teach much past the basics; when my wife decides to start carrying she's going to get professional instruction. I hope I haven't screwed her up too bad.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    During our Basic Pistol Course, you will shoot 4 different guns: Springfield XD 9, Glock 19, S&W Sigma, and a Taurus 94 revolver. WE PROVIDE THE AMMO! You may also bring your own firearm to train with, but YOU must provide the ammo for it. So for $130 it's a pretty good deal.

But like anything else, people have to prioritize, especially in this economy! However this economy leads to desperate measures by more desperate people!

And this is why I'm recommending a friend (and new INGO member) go to you guys for her course. I had already purchased my carry gun when I took your course, she hasn't.

For me personally, $$ is the limiting factor on everything I do. I have to prioritize and plan for any kind of major purchase (anything more expensive then a tank of gas that isn't a bill :rolleyes:). Getting a membership to a range is higher on my priority list right now then another course.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    For the few folks who answered "it's too tacticool for me", provided you weren't joking, would you care to explain further?

I get damn tired of hearing about Tactical Classes from People whose only exposure to Harm's Way is the Movie Screen...

I have walked out of a Couple of Classes in the Past and SCREEN much more heavily before I take Future Classes...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I did not answer too TactiCool, but I will answer. I have a lot of friends and family who are interested in owning guns for self defense. They enjoy shooing guns. Some might even carry a gun if they are traveling or visiting what they perceive as a bad place. But taking a class that talks about shooting other people, practicing to fight with a handgun, or making the carry of a gun part of day to day life is SCARY or CRAZY. Afterall what is so bad in life that we need to carry a gun all the time?

Carrying a gun for self defense is a lifestyle choice and taking training classes that discuss that particular topic is a big decision.

I like how Boone County Sheriff Ken Campbell, who is also a Gunsite Instructor, addresses this.

"I don't teach people to kill people. I teach the average citizen how to defend themselves and their family from other threats. Most likely, that threat will be destroyed or killed. But, you have saved the life of what matters most to you."

I'm paraphrasing of course. But that's what he said when I took his class, and he also said that on an episode of Swat Team Magazine, being interviewed by Rob Pincus.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Another is that I have no desire to be treated like a recruit. Once was enough. I get the yelling to simulate "stress," but it's a very poor substitute... but it may be effective for some people. I'd love to have grenade simulators tossed instead of yelling.:) I like to be taught by a badass who is so epically badass that he/she doesn't have to act like a badass. :)

I've never been to a class where the instructor yelled. That's another perceived misconception that I see. *Good* instructors don't need to yell and scream at students. Depending on the context, if I were in a class where I was getting yelled and screamed at, I'd request a refund and happily be on my way.
    I get damn tired of hearing about Tactical Classes from People whose only exposure to Harm's Way is the Movie Screen...

I have walked out of a Couple of Classes in the Past and SCREEN much more heavily before I take Future Classes...

Screening is important. Prospective students need to research the instructors they are considering taking before they book a class.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I voted for Cost and Location. Up until recently cost was the major concern however a very generous member extended a very welcome offer to me. Location is another thing as I have a family and limited free weekends.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Does training have to involve a "professional" instructor? No, plenty of training to be done on your own or with a friend but that doesn’t mean you should look at professional training with a closed mind. What I think is important and hard to find are classes that teach common sense tactics. I also want a reputable experienced instructor. Nobody is going to teach me how to shoot, I can do that. What I would like is more instruction on when and why I need to shot. What I want is the know how to get out of the situation or avoid it entirely. What are the laws local, state, and federal that I need to know?

Money is the biggest factor for me, just no way around it. Using friends for their knowledge should not be frowned upon. If your friend is a certified flight instructor then why not let him teach you how to fly. Heck if he is just an experienced pilot why not learn a few things from him? Same goes for us in the gun world; if I know my friend is experienced in a certain discipline I will seek their advice. If it wasn’t for my friends I would be missing out on a lot more. Take advantage of whatever options that is available to you. Save up take that class, and then apply it to your everyday training. Use common sense when selecting a class. While taking the advanced carbine class may be fun, the chances of you needing carbine skills in a self-defense situation are pretty slim. Even if you did will that carbine be available when needed. Not knocking those types of classes but if you are just starting out paying for training be smart with your money.

I was a Primary Marksmanship Instructor in the Marine Corps and have taught hundreds of Marines how to shoot. I took Jay’s class with my wife and enjoyed every minute of it. Having your skills reinforced and confirmed is a good thing. One of Sherriff Campbell’s classes is next for me. I teach and train several friends and will always offer my knowledge and skill to people who can’t afford the basic instruction. I would love to do it for living and get paid for it but it is what it is.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I've never been to a class where the instructor yelled. That's another perceived misconception that I see. *Good* instructors don't need to yell and scream at students. Depending on the context, if I were in a class where I was getting yelled and screamed at, I'd request a refund and happily be on my way.

The last class I took was YSINTG with MDFI (great course, BTW) and it wasn't a yelling type of course. But it wasn't a tactical course, either. As far as screening, my due diligence has pointed me towards ACT. From what I can tell, their emphasis on realistic mindset sounds good to me. If I'm in a situation that calls for fire and maneuver, I'm screwed 'cause the wife's not going there.:):

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Another is that I have no desire to be treated like a recruit. Once was enough. I get the yelling to simulate "stress," but it's a very poor substitute

Who the heck is yelling at people at a civilian gun school?

I know with the Charge of the 300 trainers have to make a niche in the market but who the heck is doing this?:dunno:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Who the heck is yelling at people at a civilian gun school?

I know with the Charge of the 300 trainers have to make a niche in the market but who the heck is doing this?:dunno:

It was years ago in North Carolina, so they may not train that way any more. In their defense, it was held near Ft Bragg (in Sanford, NC) and that may have (probably) had something to do with it. But it left a lasting bad taste.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Time, location, and dislike of formal training.

Dislike of formal training is ironic coming from me, because I've been in the training world off and on for the last twenty some years - not gun training, but training and instructional and curriculum design. I also just completed the NRA basic pistol instructor certification course.

A couple of things I don't like about formal training. One is the amount of time wasted to get to a few nuggets of solid information. Another is the way so many instructors expect you to drink their particular brand of Kool Aid as if there aren't dozens of alternative techniques or philosophies out there that have been tried and used by people who have shot and been shot at for a living. Not that I wouldn't expect a school to advance their technique, just that they respect other methods.

That said, I intend to take some courses, but I'll be very picky.

One of the things I've been good at in my life is learning new things. I think when you're learning a physical skill, you get much better much quicker when you learn some fundamentals and practice them to death. You use instruction to show you the right way and to correct your mistakes, but practice is where you teach yourself. I don't know as much about the gun world' training, but I know in lots of sports training, people run from class to class, spending most of their training time in class rather than practicing.

When I first was learning to shoot a handgun (I grew up shooting, just not much with handguns) I looked at pictures and videos and read about the proper grip. Then I practiced and practiced all the time, while sitting around or watching TV.

Anyway, to cut this rant short, I'll take a course when I find one that fits me, I'll take it, then I'll practice everything I learned a thousand times before I take another course.

So, not against formal training, just very, very selective.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've taken a couple of classes in the past (like, the late 80's!) - all of which were offered on weeknights during the summer.

All of the training I'm interested in now seems to include a Sunday, a day which for me is devoted to God and family.

So, for now, I mostly read, watch videos, and practice on my own.

Top Bottom