• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    In my RRA 11.5" SRB, the standard aluminum mags always run flawless but my 2 new PMAG's with the gray M follower will at least jam once a piece. By this I mean it fails to fully seat a new round into the chamber. Anyone have any thoughts why my AR hates them?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    it fails to fully seat a new round into the chamber.

I'm not very good at the online diagnosis thing, but that doesn't exactly sound like a mag issue (although you've said you don't have the same issue when using other mags). I would think that the bolt has more to do with fully seating a round into the chamber.

M4_556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Hi 44 mag,

Your issue may be that the spring in the Pmag is a little tight. Try loading it with 28 rounds and see how it does. Also, you may want to be a little cautiuos of loading mags on a closed bolt. Even my loosest mags will occassionally not seat all the way, which would really suck if SHTF.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    Hi 44 mag,

Your issue may be that the spring in the Pmag is a little tight. Try loading it with 28 rounds and see how it does. Also, you may want to be a little cautiuos of loading mags on a closed bolt. Even my loosest mags will occassionally not seat all the way, which would really suck if SHTF.

Yes, I heard of the 28 round thing, but it seems to happen half way through firing once, sometimes twice. Very strange.. It does feel very tight while loading ammo on both mags. Really gotta slide them back when it starts getting halfway full.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    I'm not very good at the online diagnosis thing, but that doesn't exactly sound like a mag issue (although you've said you don't have the same issue when using other mags). I would think that the bolt has more to do with fully seating a round into the chamber.

I really like the looks of the pmags and would hate to resort to just using the standard aluminum.

M4_556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    If it's occuring half way through the mag it's almost always going to be a buffer issue on an sbr platform. I would change the buffer to an h1 or h2. It will strip rounds with more force from pmags or usgi ones. 11.5s don't run well with carbine buffers. Also, check and male sure your feedramps are smooth.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    Your mag well could also be out of spec causing compression of the mag body as the rounds are shot. This will caused the follower to be sluggish or stick causing the bolt to skip over the round. If the mags do not drop as freely as GI mags, sand off some material from the reinforcing ribs.

m4_dave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    North Central IN
    I have had a similar experience with my bushmaster.Once in a while I will get a jam from pmags and alum GI mags work great.I found that only happens once it starts to get dirty inside.After a good cleaning no problem at all.I like the pmags but if I was going to use a mag and my life depended on it.I would use a stock bushmaster mag.I have never had any problem at all at anytime whether the gun was dirty or not.

Top Bottom