Why does FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL need this ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    This will be used against us ???

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Any point of reference, a news story, a link, anything? I suck at photoshop, and even I could do up a little "state trooper" sticker on that thing.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Any point of reference, a news story, a link, anything? I suck at photoshop, and even I could do up a little "state trooper" sticker on that thing.

• Armored Personnel Carriers In November 1998, the Florida Highway Patrol acquired 3 armored personnel carriers from the Department of Management Services, Bureau of Federal Property Assistance. The fully functional units were acquired for a total of $1,500.00. These military surplus V-150 carriers have been re-painted courtesy of the Apalachee Correctional Institution at an average cost of $260.34 per unit, and now proudly display the Florida Highway Patrol colors and seal. These units will be strategically placed throughout the state of Florida as a means of providing law enforcement support and safety in the event of high-risk emergency situations. Currently, the carriers are assigned to Troop D- Orlando,Troop E-Miami, and Troop G-Jacksonville.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Alright thanks :D . Now, time for my complaints :):

I presume the officers will use their APCs in order to scare speeders. There will be one of those speeding signs that will say "if your speed is above X, there is a .50 on an APC right behind you. Have a nice life!"

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    • Armored Personnel Carriers In November 1998, the Florida Highway Patrol acquired 3 armored personnel carriers from the Department of Management Services, Bureau of Federal Property Assistance. The fully functional units were acquired for a total of $1,500.00. These military surplus V-150 carriers have been re-painted courtesy of the Apalachee Correctional Institution at an average cost of $260.34 per unit, and now proudly display the Florida Highway Patrol colors and seal. These units will be strategically placed throughout the state of Florida as a means of providing law enforcement support and safety in the event of high-risk emergency situations. Currently, the carriers are assigned to Troop D- Orlando,Troop E-Miami, and Troop G-Jacksonville.

The answer to your OP is right there in the second to last sentence. I bet the LAPD would have loved to have had one of those during their Hollywood bank of America shootout.

FWIW we have one available that is within 20 miles if ever needed.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The answer to your OP is right there in the second to last sentence. I bet the LAPD would have loved to have had one of those during their Hollywood bank of America shootout.

FWIW we have one available that is within 20 miles if ever needed.

I've seen it! That thing was BAD ASS!

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Portland Police Get M113 APC for Civilian Law Enforcement

DAVID HENCH
    Portland Press Herald
    April 13, 2009
    The Portland Police Department is packing some heavy armor these days – 10 tons, give or take.
    [efoods]The department is in the process of configuring an M113 armored personnel carrier – affectionately referred to as a “tank” – for civilian law enforcement.
    The track-driven military vehicles were offered for free as surplus property by the Department of Defense last fall, and Portland police got two of them. One will be used for parts, since maintaining the old vehicles is difficult.
    “A lot of people look at it and say it’s too much,” said Capt. Ted Ross, head of operations for the department. “The benefit is to reduce the danger and exposure to danger for our officers that could be approaching a hostile or armed confrontatio

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    They have them because the Feds give them the money to buy it and tell them to buy it. Because the Federal government has soooo much extra money that they don't know what to do with it.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    According to the Greeneville Sun the Greeneville Police Department has acquired a military surplus armored personnel carrier for use by its Special Response Team.

Assistant Chief Terry Cannon said the U.S. Army surplus M113A2 armored personnel carrier (APC) arrived by tractor-trailer Friday from the Army's Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland.

Cannon said the vehicle was acquired after a year-long effort begun by recently retired Chief Mack Jones.

"Mack started it and I finished it," Assistant Chief Cannon said, noting that the 25,000-pound vehicle cost more than $400,000 new and still has an estimated worth of $250,000.

The vehicle, he said, didn't cost the Greeneville Police Department anything, other than the cost of transporting it to Greeneville.

He said plans are to use the armored vehicle to provide cover for Special Response Team (SRO) members during hostage situations or armed stand-off situations.

"Its armor will stop anything up to .50-caliber machine gun rounds," Assistant Chief Cannon said.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    According to the Greeneville Sun the Greeneville Police Department has acquired a military surplus armored personnel carrier for use by its Special Response Team.

Assistant Chief Terry Cannon said the U.S. Army surplus M113A2 armored personnel carrier (APC) arrived by tractor-trailer Friday from the Army's Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland.

Cannon said the vehicle was acquired after a year-long effort begun by recently retired Chief Mack Jones.

"Mack started it and I finished it," Assistant Chief Cannon said, noting that the 25,000-pound vehicle cost more than $400,000 new and still has an estimated worth of $250,000.

The vehicle, he said, didn't cost the Greeneville Police Department anything, other than the cost of transporting it to Greeneville.

He said plans are to use the armored vehicle to provide cover for Special Response Team (SRO) members during hostage situations or armed stand-off situations.

"Its armor will stop anything up to .50-caliber machine gun rounds," Assistant Chief Cannon said.

.50 caliber rifle rounds, however, will mean we are utterly screwed.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Maybe the coppers are using it for construction zone enforcement?

:laugh:

No, seriously, stuff like this is beyond the pale and should enrage the citizenry. Needs to be sold to a citizen immediately.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Maybe the coppers are using it for construction zone enforcement?

:laugh:

No, seriously, stuff like this is beyond the pale and should enrage the citizenry. Needs to be sold to a citizen immediately.

But, a citizen can't be trusted with a fully automatic machine gun! That's why they gave the cops a weapon that no citizen can match in the first place!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    :runaway:

How am I going to sleep tonight knowing this thing is on the streets of Florida! My only hope is that it doesn't drive up to Indiana and knock down my walls!

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole

$500 each is a hell of a price. It would be silly to pass them up.

Top Bottom