• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You want the government to build you a gun range, YOU pay for it.

ETA: I'd probably volunteer to pay that tax.

Why, when I can deflect the cost amongst everyone and not just myself?

Could you imagine how much cheaper public projects would be if they were all funded locally instead of having to pass through multiple levels of government bureaucracy with each level siphoning off their share?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Why, when I can deflect the cost amongst everyone and not just myself?

Well, that's exactly what I'd like to stop. I know it would never happen. But I think it would solve a lot of problems, though, admittedly, not without much loud butthurt.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Well, that's exactly what I'd like to stop. I know it would never happen. But I think it would solve a lot of problems, though, admittedly, not without much loud butthurt.

See my edit.

100 people put in a dollar to the government entity. Then 100 people get to beg the government entity to get more than their dollar back. The government entity doesn't work for free, so if you're lucky, $90 may go back out. Everyone would be better off if they just kept their own damned dollar.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just so everyone is clear, the Raiders are actually just a football team and won't really raid us. The Lions? Not real lions. Just football players. The Cowboys? Ok, well some of them may actually be cowboys, but they are just here to play football.

I can see how these things could be confused with events where people face real enemies or situations with real consequences.

Carry on.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

What benefits do you gain from the public roads alone? In terms of ability to earn money for yourself? In terms of cost and availability of goods? In ease of seeking services? In ability to use recreational facilities? What do you suppose the economy, your job, your lifestyle, would look like without that one simple component of our infrastructure? Balance that against your total tax bill and answer if you'd trade. Would you pay 0% tax, but not use just one component that your taxes pay for: public roadways. Would you be willing to suffer the reduced availability of goods and services, and the hugely compressed options, economic and otherwise, you'd face? How do you think the economy would look? What do you think food would cost?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Just so everyone is clear, the Raiders are actually just a football team and won't really raid us. The Lions? Not real lions. Just football players. The Cowboys? Ok, well some of them may actually be cowboys, but they are just here to play football.

I can see how these things could be confused with events where people face real enemies or situations with real consequences.

Carry on.

I'm not sure what you're responding to. I'm kinda slow today. Can you spell it out?

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Everybody seems to "know" about someone who is living the high life on the dole. In general, the stories are exaggerated to justify one's biases. When I owned rental property, I encountered a number of people on various forms of assistance. None of them had it easy. Do people abuse the system? Of course, there will be people who abuse ANY system.

Every day, I'm grateful that I am mentally and physically able to support myself. I pay more in taxes than many people make in a year, and it doesn't bother me one bit. I think there's something in some book about not judging others, but we can't talk about that here. Shouldn't need to, since so many INGOers claim to be familiar with that book.

The existence of Social Security survivor benefits and various forms of gov't-funded aid allowed me to get a good education and become a more productive member of society than I would have without those programs.

If being on public assistance is such a gravy train, why doesn't everyone just quit working and enjoy it? You already know the answer. I wouldn't trade places with someone on welfare for anything. And for those who abuse the system - what goes around comes around.

This is another example of useful idiots being distracted and manipulated into thinking that the welfare parasites are the root of the problem. While people are arguing about welfare and demonizing those at the bottom of society, the top 1/2 of 1% are robbing us blind and laughing at us on the way to the bank.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    He's trying to say that welfare to other nations isn't the same as welfare to corporations or lazy Americans.

I'd tend to agree with that. It's not the same.

But I also think that if the government had to beg the taxpayers to fund non-discretionary spending, it'd all be moot. I'd probably volunteer some tax money for helping our allies. I'd probably decline for Lucus Oil Stadium.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'd tend to agree with that. It's not the same.

But I also think that if the government had to beg the taxpayers to fund non-discretionary spending, it'd all be moot. I'd probably volunteer some tax money for helping our allies. I'd probably decline for Lucus Oil Stadium.

If the adage of "don't feed the bears" because they will forget how to fend for themselves applies to those living in the hood or trailer park, why wouldn't it apply to third world nations? How would a third world nation ever learn to defend and maintain their own liberty and safety if some benevolent third party is always there to bail them out?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If the adage of "don't feed the bears" because they will forget how to fend for themselves applies to those living in the hood or trailer park, why wouldn't it apply to third world nations? How would a third world nation ever learn to defend and maintain their own liberty and safety if some benevolent third party is always there to bail them out?

What if that 3rd world nation's leaders pledged their life, liberty, and sacred honor?

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    I was telling my wife about this story this evening. She has a cousin that is a social worker and she's mentioned that many of her clients come driving nicer cars than hers and make more money than she does.

I was in Walmart and was behind a woman that was dressed very fancy, Harley jacket and boots with well done hair and make up. she was arguing with the cashier over $0.50 on a purchase she was going to have to pay. when we were walking out I asked my wife what the deal was. ( she was a cashier at the time) she explained the woman was arguing over some thing her benefits on her EBT card would not pay for.
    as we are walking out I watched her walk over and drive away in a new Cadillac escalade. my blood pressure sky rocketed.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Everybody seems to "know" about someone who is living the high life on the dole. In general, the stories are exaggerated to justify one's biases. When I owned rental property, I encountered a number of people on various forms of assistance. None of them had it easy. Do people abuse the system? Of course, there will be people who abuse ANY system.

Every day, I'm grateful that I am mentally and physically able to support myself. I pay more in taxes than many people make in a year, and it doesn't bother me one bit. I think there's something in some book about not judging others, but we can't talk about that here. Shouldn't need to, since so many INGOers claim to be familiar with that book.

The existence of Social Security survivor benefits and various forms of gov't-funded aid allowed me to get a good education and become a more productive member of society than I would have without those programs.

If being on public assistance is such a gravy train, why doesn't everyone just quit working and enjoy it? You already know the answer. I wouldn't trade places with someone on welfare for anything. And for those who abuse the system - what goes around comes around.

This is another example of useful idiots being distracted and manipulated into thinking that the welfare parasites are the root of the problem. While people are arguing about welfare and demonizing those at the bottom of society, the top 1/2 of 1% are robbing us blind and laughing at us on the way to the bank.

It really is a brilliant shift of blame, a form of Stockholm Syndrome.

Top Bottom