• ...and so much more!
  • funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    I have a classmate in Wayne County who lives in a house provided by our gubment. It needed a new roof, so the gubment replaced it for him. He pays $0 in property taxes for this house that is listed on the county property rolls in his name. He is "disabled" without any legitimate physical problems. He essentially retired at age 45, debt free, on the backs of suckers like you and me who continue to work and pay taxes into the system he so masterfully abuses.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If anybody's interested, the guy is supposed to call back into the show tonight at 6:30 our time. Some people called in later and expressed, what many would, doubts about his claims. He said he'd dig up the documentation. So, if you want to quit your job and go on the dole, think of this as a conference call training session. :)

Go to the TJ Network and click listen. You can also get it on the TuneIn app.
    WTJS 1390 AM - Smartphone-Homepage

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    A friend of mine is a district manager for waffle house. He said applicants laugh at him for anything less than $15/hr. Aunts neighbor ,woman in mid 30's good health, with two kids, just got a new hvac system courtesy of our wonderful govt. $0 cost to her. Its a societal problem that may be too late to fix. Free sounds good to most people.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Doubtful the caller to this show actually receives even a fraction of what was claimed.

Even a cursory inspection of what assistance is actually available reveals that some of the 'assistance' and 'grants' claimed simply do not exist.

Are there 'car programs' available, for instance? Sure. But, while we typically believe anything that sounds 'ridiculous' must be true because it's from the '.gov', there's no such program available as claimed by the caller to pay off 'his almost new car'.

Most likely, the call was just from some yabo mad about the assistance that is given, and exaggerated to make his (invalid) point.

That's what I'm thinking. A grant to pay off his car? Did anybody bother to vet any of this before deciding how aggrieved to be?

My dad just got ssi disability and he's certainly not making a killing. That's after working to 60.

MAJB Retired

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    I have to admit, I drew unemployment for about 6 months when the contract I was working on wasn't renewed. However, in the six months, I worked to rearrange my finances so I could live at a reduced income, and eventually found a job at less than 1/2 of what I previously made. I am also a military retiree and I had a basic income, so was in fear of losing my home. But, I put in over 20 years in the Army, away from family support, and raised 8 children who have become productive adults.

I have to agree that we are raising a group of "I'm entitled" and "I need $*** to work or it's not worth it" leeches. I don't mind helping folks, including my kids, but when they are not willing to change their spending habits to help themselves I have a real problem with that. And I don't mind helping and being charitable, but when it becomes "YOU HAVE TO", I no longer feel chartable.

P.S. The wife doesn't agree when it comes to the kid, but I refuse to use my earning to help those who won't help themselves!!

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    That's what I'm thinking. A grant to pay off his car? Did anybody bother to vet any of this before deciding how aggrieved to be?

My dad just got ssi disability and he's certainly not making a killing. That's after working to 60.

The amount is not the point. Anyone who is perfectly capable of getting a job and instead abuses the system is in the wrong. I don't care if they receive $100,000 a year or $100 a year. Abuse of the system is abuse of the system no matter what the dollar figure may be. The saddest part of it all is, people who honestly need it and people who have put their time in (like your father) are getting screwed. All because we have worthless people who are perfectly capable but too damn lazy to make something of themselves.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    A friend of mine is a district manager for waffle house. He said applicants laugh at him for anything less than $15/hr. Aunts neighbor ,woman in mid 30's good health, with two kids, just got a new hvac system courtesy of our wonderful govt. $0 cost to her. Its a societal problem that may be too late to fix. Free sounds good to most people.

The lady I previously mentioned in an earlier post (wife's ex sister in law)... my wife offered her a job with her agency assisting poor families as an intake representative. Making sure they fill out their applications properly (hell, she had plenty experience herself!!) etc. She turned her down because she said it would reduce her (watch for it)..... BENEFITS!!!

No ****, that is what she referred to them as. Benefits. My fringe package at work is nowhere near as lucrative as hers is. How can an employer beat 365 days a year leave, paid housing, medical, and allowance?

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I have to admit, I drew unemployment for about 6 months when the contract I was working on wasn't renewed. However, in the six months, I worked to rearrange my finances so I could live at a reduced income, and eventually found a job at less than 1/2 of what I previously made. I am also a military retiree and I had a basic income, so was in fear of losing my home. But, I put in over 20 years in the Army, away from family support, and raised 8 children who have become productive adults.

I have to agree that we are raising a group of "I'm entitled" and "I need $*** to work or it's not worth it" leeches. I don't mind helping folks, including my kids, but when they are not willing to change their spending habits to help themselves I have a real problem with that. And I don't mind helping and being charitable, but when it becomes "YOU HAVE TO", I no longer feel chartable.

P.S. The wife doesn't agree when it comes to the kid, but I refuse to use my earning to help those who won't help themselves!!

You've worked hard your entire life and served your country. Social services are there for the exact reason you utilized them for, as a safety net for occasional (rare) unfortunate events in a person's life. There is no shame in receiving assistance for the reasons you indicated. If it weren't for people like you and I working consistently our entire lives, there would be no safety net.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The amount is not the point. Anyone who is perfectly capable of getting a job and instead abuses the system is in the wrong. I don't care if they receive $100,000 a year or $100 a year.

Sure, but which one gets attention? Are there people who abuse the system? Of course. Whatever "the system" is, there's someone out there who's going to figure out a way to work it. However these stories about people scamming for way more money than most people make are often calculated to produce outrage with the end goal of declaring social programs in their entirety a waste.

The best way to scam "the system" is to be a billionaire.
    Jim Irsay net worth: $1.7 billion

"The Indiana Finance Authority is providing the financing for the construction of Lucas Oil Stadium and the Convention Center expansion. In October 2005, the IFA issued $400 million in bonds to pay for the initial phase of the Stadium construction. An additional $211 million and $55 million in bonds were issued in March 2007 and July 2008, respectively, to finish Stadium construction."

Anytime you eat in a restaurant in or around Indy, you're paying for a billionaire's business venture with a sports team.

Then how much was spent to get a Super Bowl into his playground?

Why work indeed.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    Sure, but which one gets attention? Are there people who abuse the system? Of course. Whatever "the system" is, there's someone out there who's going to figure out a way to work it. However these stories about people scamming for way more money than most people make are often calculated to produce outrage with the end goal of declaring social programs in their entirety a waste.

"The Indiana Finance Authority is providing the financing for the construction of Lucas Oil Stadium and the Convention Center expansion. In October 2005, the IFA issued $400 million in bonds to pay for the initial phase of the Stadium construction. An additional $211 million and $55 million in bonds were issued in March 2007 and July 2008, respectively, to finish Stadium construction."

Anytime you eat in a restaurant in or around Indy, you're paying for a billionaire's business venture with a sports team.

Why work indeed.

You're right when it comes to who gets the attention. Soeaking for myself only here though, I think it's the principle that bugs me more than anything. If you only get a minimal amount from the .gov and you're perfectly capable of taking care of yourself, that's still wrong under principle. You're right though, when a person steals a pack of gum from the local grocer it obviously doesn't get near the attention of someone who commits grand theft auto, but in my book it's nearly the same. Stealing is stealing and only the lowest of the low do it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Why work indeed.

If foreign governments can get their defenses provided for them, why can't Irsay get his stadium provided for him?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If foreign governments can get their defenses provided for them, why can't Irsay get his stadium provided for him?

If my "put your money where your mouth is" tax plan were enacted this wouldn't be an issue. I YOU want a stadium, YOU volunteer to pay more tax for it. If YOU want the US government to give money/weapons to foreign governments, YOU volunteer to pay more tax for it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If my "put your money where your mouth is" tax plan were enacted this wouldn't be an issue. I YOU want a stadium, YOU volunteer to pay more tax for it. If YOU want the US government to give money/weapons to foreign governments, YOU volunteer to pay more tax for it.

If I want the government to build I69 and I agree to pay the necessary taxes for it and you don't, do I get to exclude those that didn't pay from using it?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Rarely is a majority ever FOR anything and your plan would never successfully fund anything. Therefore, the minority must make the majority pay for things they want. Thus all the phony outrage by conservatives about welfare going to the poor and liberals about welfare going to corporations and foreign defense. Each minority is vocal enough to maintain their slice of welfare so nothing ever changes.

If the warhawks won't voluntarily put their money where their mouth is regarding the arming of foreign governments, they certainly won't put their body where there mouth is fighting those wars.

Funny that we can see providing for individuals allows them to become dependent and no longer do for themselves and it's turned into a generational problem. They should be weened off the tit. About time we ween foreign governments off the tit and make them relearn to provide for their own.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If I want the government to build I69 and I agree to pay the necessary taxes for it and you don't, do I get to exclude those that didn't pay from using it?

That depends on how the bill is written. And I suppose if you want to pay the additional cost to exclude people, I guess you could do that. The idea is that the government should have to beg individual tax payers to fund non-discretionary spending.

Maybe there's room for argument whether adding to I-69 was a necessary thing but I see it as a discretionary expense. So to fund the bill passed as written, the government would have to beg individuals for the money. I doubt that they'd write it to exclude people who didn't help fund it.

Certainly something like Lucus Oil was a discretionary expense.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Rarely is a majority ever FOR anything and your plan would never successfully fund anything. Therefore, the minority must make the majority pay for things they want. Thus all the phony outrage by conservatives about welfare going to the poor and liberals about welfare going to corporations and foreign defense. Each minority is vocal enough to maintain their slice of welfare so nothing ever changes.

If the warhawks won't voluntarily put their money where their mouth is regarding the arming of foreign governments, they certainly won't put their body where there mouth is fighting those wars.

Funny that we can see providing for individuals allows them to become dependent and no longer do for themselves and it's turned into a generational problem. They should be weened off the tit. About time we ween foreign governments off the tit and make them relearn to provide for their own.

That's why I want to take away that power. Nothing would get done unless it's really needed. And I'm okay with that.

Top Bottom