Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Houghmade can help you make them honor your side. Although I must say I rarely hear this said it is usually about the overzealous...
    Yes, this. Well, I don't know about Hough in particular, but if they have violated the terms of the contract you signed then you have legal recourse against them. But it will probably require hiring a lawyer and incurring the legal expense that goes along with it.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Yes, this. Well, I don't know about Hough in particular, but if they have violated the terms of the contract you signed then you have legal recourse against them. But it will probably require hiring a lawyer and incurring the legal expense that goes along with it.
    And why would I spend even more money out of my pocket to try to force these miscreants to do what they are supposed to do anyway? I`m just looking to move someplace where I don`t have to pay their extortion or worry over their lack of ethics and integrity.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Secession is a natural right, though I suspect there are even a few HOAs out there that praise Lincoln and would do their best to mimic the mother ******.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    And why would I spend even more money out of my pocket to try to force these miscreants to do what they are supposed to do anyway? I`m just looking to move someplace where I don`t have to pay their extortion or worry over their lack of ethics and integrity.
    Well, if they violated their part of the contract you signed, you have an actionable option. If you don't feel it's worth it, then you have no reason to complain, and moving seems to be your best option.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Secession is a natural right,
    Real estate law has nothing to do with natural rights or secession. It's a contract entered into by at least two parties and agreed to by all involved. If you signed your HOA's contract and it sucks, well, sorry 'bout your luck. Maybe reading isn't your strong point.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Real estate law has nothing to do with natural rights or secession. It's a contract entered into by at least two parties and agreed to by all involved. If you signed your HOA's contract and it sucks, well, sorry 'bout your luck. Maybe reading isn't your strong point.

And if one party breaches the contract, should it still be enforced against the party that did not breach?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    And if one party breaches the contract, should it still be enforced?
    That's the point where it goes to court. Until the court rules that one party has breached the contract, then yes it should still be enforced. It was agreed to by all involved parties at the point that it was signed. The aggrieved party has to prove that the other party didn't live up to the agreed upon conditions of the contract. This isn't rocket surgery. It's standard contract stuff.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    That's the point where it goes to court. Until the court rules that one party has breached the contract, then yes it should still be enforced. It was agreed to by all involved parties at the point that it was signed. The aggrieved party has to prove that the other party didn't live up to the agreed upon conditions of the contract. This isn't rocket surgery. It's standard contract stuff.

And if the court is under the control of the breaching party?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    We're not talking political parties Red! C'mon man. We're talking about neighborhood associations. You think the president of the HOA in a NEIGHBORHOOD controls the courts? Cheese 'n rice man...

Political parties have nothing to do with it.

I'm talking about a central government breaching a contract and then attacking the party walking away from the contract the central government breached.

Just food for thought.

My apologies for the hijack.

Carry on.

The only good thing I can say about an HOA is that they are not in a land far away.....so if you have a problem with them you can deal with them in person, face to face, etc.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You can win against the HOA. I know someone who hasn’t paid the dues in a decade. Wins in court every year. Lord knows I need to take a day off and go see how he does it at his next court date, reasons have ranged from hoa lawyer not showing up to then showing up and not knowing what’s going on so judge tossed it.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    You can win against the HOA. I know someone who hasn’t paid the dues in a decade. Wins in court every year. Lord knows I need to take a day off and go see how he does it at his next court date, reasons have ranged from hoa lawyer not showing up to then showing up and not knowing what’s going on so judge tossed it.

See post 39.
    Works both ways.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I can’t pass up posting on a HOA thread.

Lived in a new neighborhood with a HOA since 2008. The builder turned it over to the members in 2012. 8 of the 9 years either SherylinAvon or I have been on the board. Pro tip: Vice President is the best office to hold.

In my four years on the board I saw a lot of different elected members. Most I got along with and still do (the ones who still live there.) One made such a scene at an annual meeting that I didn’t walk past there house for over a year (foreclosure takes a while.). Another I recommended calling a special meeting to have them removed from the board by a vote of the owners. I have a history of not getting along with narcissistic psychopaths, funny how the officers corps attracts them.

Want to make things better? Show the **** up at meetings. No quorum makes things really hard.

When you’re there and you have a quorum, discuss the budget. If you ask intelligent and well thought out questions people will appreciate it. After that, vote for the board members.

Three kinds of people run for HOA boards: people who are reasonable and care about the neighborhood; people with an agenda; people who are bat**** crazy.

You don’t have to blindly follow everything in the covenants no matter what you’ve heard. At a meeting with the management company I put in no uncertain terms that their interpretation of the paragraph on basketball goals was wrong. This is Indiana after all. Also a camper or boat at your house? 24 hours really means a week.

Is your grass a foot tall? The Town of Avon will be the bad guy. You think it’s a coincidence they noticed?

I don’t agree with the verbiage in our covenants concerning home-based businesses. I may have described most of it as unenforceable bull**** that needs to be removed.

People on the board: you need a good mix. Not all retirees but you need one or two (they’ll be there when the new pond maintenance guy shows up.). Add in an empty nester, folks with kids at home, good luck getting someone under 50.

Read the documents!! Doing car repair as a side job in your garage? That’s cool where I live. Flying Old Glory? Always cool.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I can’t pass up posting on a HOA thread.

Lived in a new neighborhood with a HOA since 2008. The builder turned it over to the members in 2012. 8 of the 9 years either SherylinAvon or I have been on the board. Pro tip: Vice President is the best office to hold.

In my four years on the board I saw a lot of different elected members. Most I got along with and still do (the ones who still live there.) One made such a scene at an annual meeting that I didn’t walk past there house for over a year (foreclosure takes a while.). Another I recommended calling a special meeting to have them removed from the board by a vote of the owners. I have a history of not getting along with narcissistic psychopaths, funny how the officers corps attracts them.

Want to make things better? Show the **** up at meetings. No quorum makes things really hard.

When you’re there and you have a quorum, discuss the budget. If you ask intelligent and well thought out questions people will appreciate it. After that, vote for the board members.

Three kinds of people run for HOA boards: people who are reasonable and care about the neighborhood; people with an agenda; people who are bat**** crazy.

You don’t have to blindly follow everything in the covenants no matter what you’ve heard. At a meeting with the management company I put in no uncertain terms that their interpretation of the paragraph on basketball goals was wrong. This is Indiana after all. Also a camper or boat at your house? 24 hours really means a week.

Is your grass a foot tall? The Town of Avon will be the bad guy. You think it’s a coincidence they noticed?

I don’t agree with the verbiage in our covenants concerning home-based businesses. I may have described most of it as unenforceable bull**** that needs to be removed.

People on the board: you need a good mix. Not all retirees but you need one or two (they’ll be there when the new pond maintenance guy shows up.). Add in an empty nester, folks with kids at home, good luck getting someone under 50.

Read the documents!! Doing car repair as a side job in your garage? That’s cool where I live. Flying Old Glory? Always cool.
    Excellent post sir. :patriot:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Never been under an HOA. Fees being a big turn off for me, particularly fees that can change based on a neighborhood vote. Sort of like a trailer park without the wheels, someone else controls a portion of your "lot rent".

I currently own three pieces of property. One is very rural. I liked living there. My wife would not. It'd also be something like a 2 hour commute, which I would not like and until recently would not have been legally permissible due to residency requirements. The second is an older house on a small lot in a small town. You can very much expect rednecks doing redneck things due to the location and the pricing. I'm ok with rednecks doing redneck things. My wife, not so much.

My primary residence is in a 1950's bedford stone or brick subdivision (ours is stone). The lots are not quite an acre. Most of my neighbors are now Bhurmese. They keep to themselves, take better care of their lawns then I do, but apparently hate trees. I don't really see what an HOA could do for me other than perhaps plow the snow, which the city doesn't do.

There is an old van with expired plates parked in a driveway of one of the remaining white families. I could probably call the Mayor's Action line and get it addressed, or just complain directly. I don't care. It's not a hive of killer bees, it's an old van. So I don't because it's none of my business.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom