• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Why do so many insist on living so close to other people? Can they not handle living without the constant noise of other people? Or do they need to snoop on those around them? Is it insecurity of being on your own to handle your own affairs that is the problem? Why would you want to live stacked up like cord wood? Makes no sense to me.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Might depend on where you're at, but most cities have municipal codes that address quality of life issues in neighborhoods. My particular area of the city has had pretty good enforcement, from personal experience regarding a former neighbor. To be fair, the city doesn't care what color his mailbox is.

I find it hard to believe that this isn't a zoning violation.

Surprising to me that someone who values freedom would subject themselves to an HOA. I've lived in one neighborhood with an HOA, and don't see myself doing it again. If the neighbor's boat in his driveway is bothering me because it's 15 feet away from my driveway, I bought in the wrong neighborhood anyway.

Cities like Indy rarely address things unless it is really bad. I too thought it a zoning violation but he had no signage or visible work, just paved the backyard, parked trucks there, and occasionally parked a tow in front of the house. It was the constant 24 hour coming and going of noisy vehicles, loading of tools and chains etc.

Remember there is freedom to and freedom from, covenants provide both. As I said earlier, size matters.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Like Route 45 said, most cities and towns have some kind of zoning regulations that can come into play. For example, all vehicles (even if parked on your property) must have current tags, which caused my crazy neighbor to get rid of some of the ones he had.
    Yep. We have city regulations and codes.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Why do so many insist on living so close to other people? Can they not handle living without the constant noise of other people? Or do they need to snoop on those around them? Is it insecurity of being on your own to handle your own affairs that is the problem? Why would you want to live stacked up like cord wood? Makes no sense to me.
    Not everyone can afford large tracts of land. Nor are there that many large tracts of land available to people that work in cities, have kids in school, etc.. Personally, I'd hate to live in one of the vinyl villages where all the houses look alike and all the lots are 1/4 acre (or less), but for some, that's their only option. I can't fault them for that.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Pretty simple really, I suspect that it comes down to a couple of reasons.

1 Cannot afford the country.

2 The country is too far from work.

3 Lack physical or financial ability to manage a place in the country.

There is not space for everyone to own even an acre. In Indy the average population lives on a quarter acre, but that does not account for business, roads, government, etc. It would likely take 5 additional counties land for each Indy area resident to have just an acre.

And some are social creatures and want to live with others near entertainment dining and convenience, they think we are crazy for our preference of space and solitude of the country.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Eh, housing markets go up and down like anything else. I don't think what we're seeing now is a permanent situation. It's not "big money" that is paying over asking prices for houses on the market now. It's people (families) just trying to buy a home for the most part in a market with high demand (because of low interest rates) and limited supply (for materials cost for new construction).
    There are real estate hedge funds buying up a significant amount of single family homes right now. Probably hedging against a coming stock market correction/crash and inflation. They'll lose interest when the economy comes back and housing supply catches up with demand, then they'll be back to chasing the next hotness.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There are real estate hedge funds buying up a significant amount of single family homes right now. Probably hedging against a coming stock market correction/crash and inflation. They'll lose interest when the economy comes back and housing supply catches up with demand, then they'll be back to chasing the next hotness.
    And when the bubble bursts, they'll lose their asses if they're left holding the bag, which is as it should be. Buy low, sell high is still a sound strategy. Buy high, sell low has never been a sound strategy.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Ever try to get one enforced?
    More than once. No problems here. In fact, beat a former dirtbag neighbor so hard with code enforcement that she gave up and moved. I also made her landlord's life a living hell with complaints. He sold the house right after she moved out. Nice older couple there now.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. A couple of meek phone calls ain't gonna do it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    More than once. No problems here. In fact, beat a former dirtbag neighbor so hard with code enforcement that she gave up and moved. I also made her landlord's life a living hell with complaints. He sold the house right after she moved out. Nice older couple there now.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. A couple of meek phone calls ain't gonna do it.
    Truth. Aforementioned crazy neighbor also owned 3 dogs that he didn't take care of. Kept them outside with no shelter, and rarely fed or watered. We called Animal Control on him and had the dogs removed from his custody. We tried to help prior to that, going as far as buying him dogfood to feed them and sometimes going over to make sure they had water (and food). After he didn't show any signs of improvement that's when we got Animal Control involved.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's not "big money" that is paying over asking prices for houses on the market now. It's people (families) just trying to buy a home for the most part in a market with high demand (because of low interest rates) and limited supply (for materials cost for new construction).

That is just not true. Institutional investments began buying in quantity in Indy in the early teens. They now own thousands of homes in Indy and are currently buying more, often beating out first time home buyers, I have heard industry folks estimate 20,000-30,000 homes. Those homes are in neighborhoods that typically turn over at a 10% rate, there are 2000-3000 homes per year not available to be purchased.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Curious what the issue was you beat them with.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That is just not true. Institutional investments began buying in quantity in Indy in the early teens. They now own thousands of homes in Indy and are currently buying more, often beating out first time home buyers, I have heard industry folks estimate 20,000-30,000 homes. Those homes are in neighborhoods that typically turn over at a 10% rate, there are 2000-3000 homes per year not available to be purchased.
    If so, then I stand corrected. I'm going by what I've seen reported on the news from people that were trying to buy their first home and wound up competing with other buyers. They made no mention that the other buyers were corporate interests, only that there was a lot of competition.

Maybe it depends on the area too. There have been a lot of areas undergoing "gentrification". I could see that being driven by corporate buyers.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If so, then I stand corrected. I'm going by what I've seen reported on the news from people that were trying to buy their first home and wound up competing with other buyers. They made no mention that the other buyers were corporate interests, only that there was a lot of competition.

Maybe it depends on the area too. There have been a lot of areas undergoing "gentrification". I could see that being driven by corporate buyers.

Unless the listing agent told a buyer they would never know if there was a competing corporate offer. (They don't always win.) Corporate tends to like newer construction around 5-20 years old. But they can be found buying in other neighborhoods.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I can tell you that our particular HOA is a complete and total JOKE. They damned sure expect that you pay the twice annual HOA fees, and they WILL take you to court if you don`t. But they`re not nearly as tough of residents who violate the covenants. Don`t mow the lawn? Park a semi tractor in the driveway or on the street? Hang blankets in the windows? Park cars on the street that is so narrow that by law, no street parking is allowed? NO PROBLEM. Go ahead, move THREE families into the house. No problem. But you BETTER pay those HOA fees. HOA`s are legal extortion.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I've lived with a HOA for about 30 years. In those 30 years it's seems if you're not an ******* it's not a problem. YMMV

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I have never hated HOAs. This may be due to the fact that I have never owned or lived on property with an HOA.

My sister has.

Based on my limited interactions through that I can say that while I have never hated HOAs, I have found many of the folks running them to be complete ********.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom