Why aren't there any factory made Glock, Springfield XD or S&W M&P 22lr pistols?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Why aren't there any factory made Glock, Springfield XD or S&W M&P 22lr pistols?

I've been wondering why more companies aren't in the 22lr pistol market. Is it that hard to make a functionable 22lr pistol? I think it would be a guaranteed money maker for any company to put a good pistol out that felt and worked like their regular pistols. If nothing else they could at least make factory conversion kits.

Anybody know any good reasons?

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    That and the cost, there's no profit in .22. I asked Glock and Smith and Wesson about this very topic at the NRA show this past weekend, they just laughed and shook their heads like i was some tinfoil hat wearing dumbass.

I'll be contacting Tactical Solutions for one of their threaded .22 uppers for Glock 22, Hopefully have it by Decmber

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Except for Glock I think most other companies produce their own line of .22s already. It would sort of be cutting their own throats if they made conversion units, although some do, for their center fire pistols. They want you to buy their .22 pistol. I'd like to see Glock produce a quality .22 pistol for practice/target work.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My Dad and I talked about the same thing today. I love my Buckmark, but an Xd .22 would be nice. Would like one in an FN also. That way I could practice like crazy, and not have to fork out a ton of money in ammo. Or even a factory .22 barrel, and slide.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    For the Glocks and XDs I would imagine it is the points. I imagine the transaction costs could prohibit a competitive .22 pistol. (Yeah, they could convert them over in Georgia or Illinois, but I don't know what that would add to the cost and can you imagine all 10,876 threads on INGO about the "high prices" on Glock .22s:D).

Smith could could it more efficiently, but why? Why make a less reliable M&P rimfire and tarnish the brand?

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    They probably can not keep up with production of all the models already on the market. Springfield imports them from Croatia, Not many 22's out there.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    ?

Many .22s are made in the Balkans including .22 imported here, including the Remington Model 5 (which is a great kids' gun).

.22 pistols are much more difficult as the Glock barely made the points to be imported in the mid-80s (they had to use the adjustable sights to barely qualify) and the points are why the Glock 25/28 is not imported into the USA.

I would think a .22 XD would also have point problems.

Arieas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Indianapois
    ?

Many .22s are made in the Balkans including .22 imported here, including the Remington Model 5 (which is a great kids' gun).

.22 pistols are much more difficult as the Glock barely made the points to be imported in the mid-80s (they had to use the adjustable sights to barely qualify) and the points are why the Glock 25/28 is not imported into the USA.

I would think a .22 XD would also have point problems.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what are these points you are talking about?

Last edited:

Arieas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Indianapois
    Thanks for the link. I never knew about those "import points", and now that i do all i can say is, That is unbelievably dumb and pointless.:nuts:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Taurus has the 822, it's a .22 with a 6 inch slide that can also be purchased separately (includes 2-10 rd mags with the 822 and the conversion) that will fit on any of the other 800 series. 809=9mm, 840=.40, 845=.45
    You can also get a 4 inch version that also can be used with the above.

I'm looking to invest some $$$'s for the 6 inch slide to run on my 809 for a nice cheap shooter.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    With the ruger mark III and browning buckmark pistols filling in most of the 22 shooters needs I just don't see it being a money maker for them. Making money is important to most companies. There are plenty of companies trying to make good 22 pistols but the rugers most likely outsell the others combined.

Heck ruger introduced the 22-45 for the grip shape of the 911 crowd and most people still buy the mark II or mark III series of pistols. I think smith and wesson still makes a fine looking auto 22 and so does browning with the flip up barrel. Most people have several 22 rifles but of the gun owners who do not do much collecting most have one 22 pistol. I do know a couple who own an auto 22 pistol and a revolver 22 pistol.
    I own 3 22 pistols so I do not fit the category, a t/c contender with 10 14 and 16 inch barrel, a ruger mark II, and a ruger single six.

I think most people want a 22 pistol and most should own at least one, but in my opinion i don't want a tactical looking 22 pistol,

Glocks.They are not pretty and your not gonna take them home to meet mom, but like a slutty prom date you know they are always gonna put out. Glocks are not what I want in a 22 pistol I want one I can take to mom.

Top Bottom