• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    Why does there seem to be alot of interest in lever action .357/44 mag rifles? Why would you rather have them instead of a handgun shooting the same caliber? If your going to have the long gun why not go ahead with .30/30 or .30/06 or something?? Just curious as it seems like these guns tend to be popular...

Todd

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Mainly to have a matching pistol caliber in a rifle if you have the same in a revolver. Plus they are legal for deer hunting in Indiana. Plus you gain range and accuracy out of the lever action. :twocents:

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    How much more range do you get from one as compared to a 6 inch .357 or .44? I didn't know they were legal for deer in Indiana... surely that adds 30-40 yards to your distance?

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Something about a .357 mag out of a carbine length barrel seems just right.
    A .357 mag is a hell of a round out of a revolver but it really shines out of a lever action!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    They are accurate, you can hunt squirrels or deer with them just by changing ammo, and they are FUN!!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I purchased one because I want to hunt deer with it. I find the carbine is much easier to shoot accurately then a handgun at longer ranges. You also gain some velocity out of the rifle length barrel. 30/30 lever guns are nice but the .357 magnum is less expensive to shoot. Also, this rifle is probably one of the funnest guns that I have. It is just a great plinker.

bulldog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    Crawfordsville,In
    In addition to Cowboy action, legally deer hunting in Indiana,you increase the effective range of the round by about 100 yards with the increased energy from the longer barrel and longer sight radius equates to better accuracy.Plus they are fun to shoot.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I'm with tedbower and smokingman on this one. I have a 45 LC and it is a blast to shoot as well. I have never tested to see just how fast the bullet is moving out of the end of my 24 inch barrel compared to a 6 inch pistol, but it is smoking hot.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Why does there seem to be alot of interest in lever action .357/44 mag rifles? Why would you rather have them instead of a handgun shooting the same caliber? If your going to have the long gun why not go ahead with .30/30 or .30/06 or something?? Just curious as it seems like these guns tend to be popular...

Todd

I take it you're a younger guy. For those of us who grew up watching the cowboy heroes on a rainy Saturday afternoons, it's the romance of the gun. Yeah, there's all sorts of practical reasons; legal hunting gun, same caliber as revolvers, etc., but there's just something about still using a rifle that has the history the leverguns do. While they are not a truly long-range rifle, they have a great role as a short-range carbine here in populous Indiana

Top Bottom