• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Along SR37 I saw numerous fields with probably 98% of the crop taken in and several isolated rows remaining. Anyone know why this may be? It's curious that it's down so early and also curious that they left little strips.

Maybe I'm a consipiracy theorist but it seems like there's some insurance thing at play.

If they were going to plan a different crop, why leave little rows of corn in all of the fields?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The corn they are dropping is already lost. Salvaging what they can. Fields near us have strips of 3-5 rows of corn every so often. I wonder if that was left to keep wind from stripping the fields, if it continues to stay bad.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The are cutting the corn down for Livestock Feed, Silage. A LOT of the Corn in areas of the State pollinated (attempted anyway) last week. Due to the heat and the lack of rain it was probably sterile corn, meaning all they would have had at the end of the year was a corn cob and no corn...

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Seed corn is planted in male and female rows, like this:

M FFFF M FFFF M FFFF M FFFF M FFFF M

They only take the female corn and just mow the male. Seed corn is on a completely different schedule than commercial corn.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

They only take the female corn and just mow the male. Seed corn is on a completely different schedule than commercial corn.
    To early to be pulling seed corn as well...

I thought it was 2 rows of Male Corn for 4 rows of female Corn?!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

Ah, that explains the rows. Although it looks like they took 80% of the field. So your MF diagram is a little off for the fields I'm looking at. :D

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    The are cutting the corn down for Livestock Feed, Silage. A LOT of the Corn in areas of the State pollinated (attempted anyway) last week. Due to the heat and the lack of rain it was probably sterile corn, meaning all they would have had at the end of the year was a corn cob and no corn...

^^^^THIS^^^^^

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

OK, so what about the

MMM FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF MMM

that I am seeing? Literally about 98% of the area is down

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    OK, so what about the

MMM FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF MMM

that I am seeing? Literally about 98% of the area is down

I think that is closer to ours as well. I assume this is non-pollinated corn as mentioned above. So no corn would ever form on the cob.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I think that is closer to ours as well. I assume this is non-pollinated corn as mentioned above. So no corn would ever form on the cob.

I guess that would make sense. I still don't know why they left some, unless they have to prove how poor the yield would have been come harvest time for the insurer?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think I read where the mild winter allowed many farmers to plant their corn early in the hopes of getting it down in time to squeeze in an extra crop of something before next winter. Could that have anything to do with it?

> Not a farmer, but I do enjoy eating, so I feel I have a tenuous connection.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I guess that would make sense. I still don't know why they left some, unless they have to prove how poor the yield would have been come harvest time for the insurer?

That makes some sense. The wife and I theorized about see how it would have done. But insurance gives a valid reason to do that.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    To early to be pulling seed corn as well...

I thought it was 2 rows of Male Corn for 4 rows of female Corn?!
    Most seed corn hasn't pollinated, or was just detasseled. That's the way my farmers are doing it, I suppose different seed companies could set up their rows differently. :dunno:

It's silagae chopping for sure. The little bit that's left might be for wildlife.

Top Bottom