• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    Sounds like the man tried to save his son, as the wife was already free from the vehicle, but upon failing to reach the car, he had seen his wife in danger of going under and drowning as well.

I would hope to never be put in that situation, and I would never question the outcome in this situation. The man was able to save one of the victims, and that is one more person still with us today because of his actions. Had he done nothing, likely both would have died.

Had it been my son and I in the car, I would hope that rescuers would have saved him first. I have had a pretty good life, and my son's life is still ahead of him.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    I guess I would save who I could and then die trying to save the rest,they would have to remove me before I just sat down. Hope I never have to experience this. Prayers to the family.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    This weekend I re-watched the movie the "Guardian" (A movie about Coast Guard Rescue Swimmers) When asked how he determines who he saves and who he doesn’t, Kevin Costner’s character says, “I take the first one I come to or the weakest one in the group and I swim as fast and as hard as I can for as long as I can.”
    Sure it’s just a line from a movie, but there is a lot of good thinking in that sentence.
    It is easy to armchair quarterback this, but I am a trained rescue diver. The first rule of any rescue anything is to save you. Sure you can be a hero if you die trying to save someone but if you die trying and nobody lives, you didn’t do the best possible. When family members are involved it is easy to involve emotion, but you need to keep a clear head here. My training tells me that there is a good change there is an air pocket in the car. If it is noise down, the air pocket will be toward the back of the car. This may not last long but it is something (provided that my son can get to it). If my wife is struggling to stay on top of the water outside the car, I know if she goes under there is no chance of her having any air supply. She is in the greatest danger and I have the best chance to save her. I get her out of the water and I am going back in.
    I would say that this guy did the right thing, however I wish he would have kept trying. 4.8 meters is not that deep, you gotta try.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Prayers sent for that families tragedy. I would have died saving or trying to save my son before giving up, but I thank God that I have never been put into that situation and hope to God that I never will be.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I would go for saving the dog, since I have no wife nor son. If I had, that would be a decision I would have to make at that time based on whom is most likely to survive. If the son was unreachable and the wife was reachable, I would have taken her to shore and then went back for the son. I do believe it's "bs" he sat on the shore crying and praying instead of going back for his son. I would have died trying myself, and according to the story the police/fire attempted a rescue when they arrived on scene why couldn't the father?

bulldog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    Crawfordsville,In
    Tough situationto be put in .He was very fortunate to have even saved his wife.How tragic for them to lose their son. They will have a difficult time dealing with this and be very fortunate to remaine married. So many marriages end in divorce after suffering the loss of a child.May GOD ALMIGHTY sustain them.

bonsaijackson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    I can't even imagine this situation. I agree with colt45 in that I would try to make the best decision I could and then keep trying.

That being said, I could never leave my son because I thought there was nothing I could do. I would have to prove to myself there was nothing could do.

I would never stop until I was unable to continue. There ARE random miracles and there would still be hope at that time. I could not continue without having given everything, I would like to think even my life.

Who knows about this guy though, his physical shape, strength, ability to swim and hold his breath, his ability to problem solve, think under pressure. I do not judge him for his choices, I only feel for him over his loss and having to live the rest of his life wondering.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Wow. That's awful. I too wouldn't dare question the man in his choice, but I would have to say I would have went for my son first and foremost.

It sounds as if the wife couldn't swim, but if there would have been something to throw out to her I would have done that as I was diving in to get my son. I may have died trying to get him and we all die, but at least I'd die trying and we'd all die as a family.

Top Bottom