• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I have a Mossy 500 setup, but am thinking about changing to a M4gery. The main reason is recoil of the weapon for my wife's use. She can train more cheaply with the M&P 15-22. We haven't done enough shotty shooting for her to decide. And then I need to build a 16" rifle.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I have a Mossy 500 setup, but am thinking about changing to a M4gery. The main reason is recoil of the weapon for my wife's use. She can train more cheaply with the M&P 15-22. We haven't done enough shotty shooting for her to decide. And then I need to build a 16" rifle.

Had a friend from Ohio who wanted to get a gun for home defense. She was home visiting her dad a few years ago and I brought over a variety of stuff for her to shoot. We shot revolvers, pistols, rifles and shotguns of all calibers. When she took a twelve gauge 870 and blew a five gallon bucket in half she got this great big goofy grin on her face and said "This is what I'm getting." Her dad recently told me she was now getting into trap and skeet shooting.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    First weapon for grab and go is my Glock 22, and I use that to get to the 12 gauge, and then I use the 12 gauge to get to the AR, then if needed the AR will get me to my .270 for really long distances.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Thinking about mounting my Glock 22 "gangsta style" to the pump on my Mossy 500. Make it a dual use weapon.

That might be too confusing to the perp.

"Cha Chunk. Bang Bang Bang Bang BOOOOM. Cha Chunk. Bang Bang BOOOOM." (I'm not right in the head.)

Glock19Dude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I own an AR but I use my Mossberg 500/Glock 19. I also thought the shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot was the best because of low penetration. From what I've been reading in magazines, hearing on pro gun tv shows and hearing 1st hand from a recent AR class.....the AR with a .223 round is the best for home defense. I expected the high velocity of a .223 round to cruise through layers of drywall w/no problems and OVER penetrate. Actually it breaks up after going through a few sheets because of the 55gr bullet. Do some research if you don't believe me, but I was suprised myself. I just need a supressor for the AR....I don't want to shoot mine in my apt because of an intruder and make myself deaf.

Malaggar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Eminence / Monrovia
    AR vs shotgun

I have a shotgun and a Ar-15. Prior military so I too am more comfortable with the low recoil and general operation of an AR in an actual firefight as I have used it in exactly that capacity. My biggest thing is capacity and recoil. I can easily carry 30 rounds and quickly load another 30 if more than one person broke into my house and I can quickly put 5-6 shots on target and acquire a new target. Also, the sheer velocity of a rifle round makes it devastatingly lethal due to temporary cavitation in my opinion as a medic, although I certainly wouldn't want to get shot at close range with 00...

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    My go to long guns are my 12 gauge 870 with extended mag or my AR Carbine.

There are scenarios in which I would pick one over the other, but the 870 is in first place by default. If there's no time to think, my shotgun should stop anything that's small enough to fit through the front door.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    For outside, on a larger lot of land. Then I would say an AR/AK would be my choice for a HD gun. Indoors, My pistol a tool used to get to my shotgun if needed. I know that buck shot can over penetrate. I look at the numbers though. Most buck shot travels at over 1,000 fps. A .223/5.56 round travels at just under or just over 3,000 fps. I live in an apartment so over penetration is a major factor for me. Even in a home to me it's still a major concern. My :twocents:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Unfortunately it always will be, unless you want to take them on with AirSoft guns. :D

If something's gonna hit hard enough to kill someone, then its gonna go through some drywall. :twocents:

My house is brick. And if I have to defend my home, my wife will be in the bedroom, behind my back. So the way I'm thinking, over penetration isn't going to matter a whole lot. No bullets will be entering where my wife is at, (she'll be hidden with a 20 gauge pointing at the door), and the brick will stop anything that could hit a neighbor's home.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My house is brick. And if I have to defend my home, my wife will be in the bedroom, behind my back.

This is a good example of why a one-size-fits-all answer is never sufficient. You have more options simply because its only you and your wife. Those with kids have other considerations. We must be careful to take all these things into consideration when we're devising a home defense plan.

and the brick will stop anything that could hit a neighbor's home.

Although I've never done any penetration testing through brick, it WOULD be tougher than simple siding.

Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    I keep my .45 in my night-stand, which I will always go for first. However, I do keep my AR under the bed with a full mag sitting next to it. And like many others have stated, I'll let the situation decide which one gets primary attention.

Ideally, I would like to use an AR SBR. However, I have yet to build one. I do believe that once it gets done, that I will rely upon it as my primary HD gun.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Brick or cinder block would at the very least cause the bullet to deform and tumble quite badly, which means it won't go as far or have as much energy if it exits the house.

Not to mention if you have large trees around the house like we do there's no way the bullet is going through brick/cinder block and one of those trees, also just about every other house surrounding us is brick.

H&R12G

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    Not an AR but an AK. I had to sell the Home defense shotgun. So, I have the AK with the Bayonete ready. I hate it though because all I have are FMJs. I don't like the thought of over-penetration.

Top Bottom