• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think it's a very typical case of "to each his own" As an AK owner, lover, and MAJOR fanboy, I'll defend the gun to the death. As a firearms history enthusiast however, I am well aware the gun was "designed" from the STG-44. However, I will go out on a limb and say that Mikhail DID "invent" the AK47. While there are clearly similarities, the internal are different. The STG44 was a prototype weapon that never reached full potential, Mikhail resurrected a dead design, and PERFECTED it. Shouldn't that quality as an invention?

IMHO....NO

I have re-designed several existing engines to fit different needs and desires but I did not invent them. Any existing design is exactly that...existing.
    If you re-barrel an AR for another caliber or modify it's internals you may be perfecting it in your view or opinion but you are not the inventor.
    Again, IMHO

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    1. John Moses Browning
    2. Samuel Colt
    3. Horace Smith and Daniel Wesson.

S&W are overlooked, yet they were the ones that popularized the top break revolver (allowing fast reloading) of the model 3 Schofield. It was the first cartridge firing revolver adopted by the US military (1870). And they were far faster to reload than the Colt single action army.

Another thing to remember are the Ammo types introduced by S&W:

THANK YOU, I like the above list, BEST .....

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    IMHO....NO

I have re-designed several existing engines to fit different needs and desires but I did not invent them. Any existing design is exactly that...existing.
    If you re-barrel an AR for another caliber or modify it's internals you may be perfecting it in your view or opinion but you are not the inventor.
    Again, IMHO

I'm assuming you speak of taking an AR platform, and changing it to .458 SOCOM or .300blk. While i do see where your coming from, he didn't take it from "an existing platform" If you remember, the STG44 was the first assault rifle. That makes the AK47 one of the first few. In 1947, the assault rifle would be considered a new technology, so It's really hard to say he stole the ENTIRE idea from a brand new weapon/technology, because he was doing this with a brand new idea. Also, from my limited knowledge of the STG44, the internal are different, this would qualify as a new invention.

Here is another thing to think about. Think about the M1903 Springfield. Bolt action technology had been around for a while, so are you going to say Springfield stole that idea? NO! He designed (invented) a new rifle to compete with Mauser.

Look at the H&K G36. The piston operated action had been around for while, so would you say H&K stole that? NO! They needed a better rifle for the KSG and anti terrorism units, so they invented a new one.

Same can be said for Glocks, Beretta M9's, you name it, someone took an idea, and invented a new weapon using that idea.

The M14 is a "redesigned" rifle. There are just too many variable to say that the AK47 is a complete play off of the STG44.

Once again, this is based off of my LIMITED knowledge of the STG44. I am no expert in the rifle, just going off what i do know

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm assuming you speak of taking an AR platform, and changing it to .458 SOCOM or .300blk. While i do see where your coming from, he didn't take it from "an existing platform" If you remember, the STG44 was the first assault rifle. That makes the AK47 one of the first few. In 1947, the assault rifle would be considered a new technology, so It's really hard to say he stole the ENTIRE idea from a brand new weapon/technology, because he was doing this with a brand new idea. Also, from my limited knowledge of the STG44, the internal are different, this would qualify as a new invention.

Here is another thing to think about. Think about the M1903 Springfield. Bolt action technology had been around for a while, so are you going to say Springfield stole that idea? NO! He designed (invented) a new rifle to compete with Mauser.

Look at the H&K G36. The piston operated action had been around for while, so would you say H&K stole that? NO! They needed a better rifle for the KSG and anti terrorism units, so they invented a new one.

Same can be said for Glocks, Beretta M9's, you name it, someone took an idea, and invented a new weapon using that idea.

There are so many ways to look at all of this. Every weapon built since the first hand held muzzle loader has been an improvement on an existing design. I guess if we go seriously picky about it then none of the lists include any real inventors but merely innovators.....all a matter of perception. Gatling did make serious improvements in the rate of fire. An invention or improvement?? The self contained cartridge was a great improvement and could be listed as an invention.
    With this thought in mind H&K, Springfield etc all just improved or "Innovated" improvements to an already existing design. Just a matter of perception.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    There are so many ways to look at all of this. Every weapon built since the first hand held muzzle loader has been an improvement on an existing design. I guess if we go seriously picky about it then none of the lists include any real inventors but merely innovators.....all a matter of perception. Gatling did make serious improvements in the rate of fire. An invention or improvement?? The self contained cartridge was a great improvement and could be listed as an invention.
    With this thought in mind H&K, Springfield etc all just improved or "Innovated" improvements to an already existing design. Just a matter of perception.
    Very good way to look at it! I can't argue with that one!

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana

My view: How many STG44's exist today? How many AK-47's exist today. Game, set, match.

Top Bottom