• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I think the rain probably plays a role in this...

Options: Work in the driving rain risking sickness or injury due to slippery, wet conditions, moldy clothing etc.
    Stay inside where you can at least maintain body heat and keep the trench-foot at bay.

I think they are choosing the latter: and I'm certain they've been doing that a LOT. It's likely they've already done the whole sharpen the knife thing etc while they're sitting inside all day; the producers just chose to cut that because it's not as exciting as Allen's ramblings etc. They're a month in and only 5 episodes, that's almost 1 full week for an episode, there is a LOT happening that we aren't seeing.

CountryBoy19,

I would agree 100% that the rain has played a significant part in this.

I am reading between the lines and listening to what is being said about how depressing it is, how cold it is, how bad losing my net was, etc etc etc. Included in that are Allen's really good and probably mental health outlet rambling. What I have heard ZERO of is how I sharpened my knife today, cleaned my gear today, went out and while having a bowel movement check my line today. Any one of them could have worked on a fishtrap while stuck in their tent and I haven't heard that.

Note that I am not saying I would do any better, but for guys who are skilled in survival and using some of the video as (hopefully) a teachable moment, there is naught being said about tasks that can be accomplished while stuck inside on a rainy day.

Perhaps they did record such and the producers are trying to make it look worse than it is to raise the "drama" element, but if I were a producer I would also want to throw some tape (if it exists) of the guy who lets nothing, especially time, go to waste. Yes, a person should conserve when necessary. However, I wouldn't want that mindset to override the need, even with risk, to get food and clean water to survive. I think, at least to an extent, the guys are becoming depressed and at least partially justifying their inaction by the bad weather and need to conserve. Certainly not 100%, but above 0% as well.

You are spot on when you say there is a lot happening that we are not seeing, especially when you consider the time they don't record. In one (1) week there are 168 hours. Using just the last four (4) guys at about 15 minutes per episode, we are watching 15 minutes out of 10,080 minutes. In simple terms we are looking at slightly more than 1/1,000th of their time! Even the producers are seeing a very small amount. Each one of these guys could probably write a small book after the fact and maybe make as much as the prize.

Regards,

Doug

PS - Just thinking about commercials. We are probably seeing less than a thousandth of their time...?

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Anybody see the expanded episode with commentary from Allen, Lucas and the guy terrified of wolves? Looks like the large fish trap never worked for Allen. Something about the size?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Four men remain. Now it's really starting to be a test of will.

Sam looks like he's ready to crack, but he hasn't given up yet.

Mitch looks like he's starting to struggle too. He needs that new trot line to produce something quick or he could be toast.

Lucas seems to have stabilized. Building a more permanent shelter was a smart move. Carving the guitar was a good distraction and morale booster. So was getting a good meal.

Alan is still steady Eddie, plugging away and getting good results from his fishing net.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Alan's meal made me hungry! Sam is having a ruff time. That strange tide really threw a kink into Mitch's plan. That guitar was really cool!

Can't wait until next week.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    And then there were two.

Lucas sounded depressed.

Mitch had a life decision to make. You only have one Mom.

Sam has surprised me. Alan might talk himself out of it, but he can pull it off.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I don't think Lucas was depressed. I think he was at peace with his decision. He proved himself and showed he could survive out there and decided he proved what he set out to do.

I think both Alan and Sam are starting to feel some of that too. It's like, OK. I can do it. I'm ready to go home now.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Double tap night!

It seems that Lucas fit one of the molds I thought someone would. He was capable of all of the physical skills of survival. He wasn't sick, starving or dehydrated. He just decided he had enough.

Mitch surprised me! I don't know how I would react, but IF I made my dying mother a promise... Man, I don't know if I could have broken it? I try to keep my word on things like that, but I also know I am sitting here in Camp Livingroom enjoying my diet pop with caffeine.

My money is still on Sam, but barely. He still has a very strong mental state and the energy of youth, but he seems to have very weak food gathering skills. He is excellent with traps, but only for very small game. He is right on the bloody coast and hasn't even tried to fish. I just don't get that. I know he didn't take a net, but he has the fishing line and hooks for goodness sake. If he found some of those water bottles they could be used as a bobber. Lucas did a fine job with the styrofoam "thing" modifying it into a fishing line.

I am still not impressed with either Allen or Sams shelters. Allen took a hole in the ground and converted it. I would think this would be OK for temporary use but damn Allen! Make something longterm. Sam put his tent in a totally unprotected section right off the beach and has done jackall in any way to make a safer, more secure shelter. I guess I shouldn't gripe at them too much. After all, they are the contenders. Still, I am left wondering.

I am glad that I actually like both Sam and Allen! These are some really cool dudes. Some shows you see the jackass come out on top, but these guys are likable and well grounded. I will not now be unhappy with whomever wins the money.

Regards,

Doug

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    My wife called it from day one. She predicted Sam and Allen would be the last 2. I figured it would be Allen and Mitch. My money is on Allen simply because he has developed a better food gathering regimen. Man, did he or did he not look like a neanderthal squatted on the beach in the rain shoving bull kelp in his face!!!? Some pretty intense stuff. I'd like to think I could do it in a real survival situation but adding the tapout component turns it into an internal mental struggle.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My wife called it from day one. She predicted Sam and Allen would be the last 2. I figured it would be Allen and Mitch. My money is on Allen simply because he has developed a better food gathering regimen. Man, did he or did he not look like a neanderthal squatted on the beach in the rain shoving bull kelp in his face!!!? Some pretty intense stuff. I'd like to think I could do it in a real survival situation but adding the tapout component turns it into an internal mental struggle.

Alan does have a better system for catching food, but that gill net is pretty tore up. He's gonna need to make repairs soon to keep it going, which means pulling it out of the water. With the weather, who knows if he'll be able to get it back in quickly after repairs are made.

Sam has got to get deeper into the woods and try to hunt. The bears and wolves are eating something. He needs to find it.

I think the toughest part mentally is not knowing how many guys are left out there. For all they know there are still 50 guys out in the woods surviving.

I think it would be much different mentally if you knew it was down to you and one other guy. Then you could just focus on outlasting him.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I think the toughest part mentally is not knowing how many guys are left out there. For all they know there are still 50 guys out in the woods surviving.

I think it would be much different mentally if you knew it was down to you and one other guy. Then you could just focus on outlasting him.
    After the 2nd to last guy taps out does the last guy live on never knowing that he's won until he also taps out or do they go find and notify him that he's won? I think that would be MY biggest mental challenge. If they don't notify the last guy that he's won, it would continuously be running through my mind that I may have already won and every move I'm making, every struggle I endure, is all for naught.

I can be motivated to beat somebody else, but being motivated to succeed in a game you may have already won (and just don't know it yet) is a mental challenge for me...

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I heard Allen make reference in the last episode that he is not going to call for the boat and will wait till they pick him up signifying he has won. May not have that word for word but that's what he was getting at.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    After the 2nd to last guy taps out does the last guy live on never knowing that he's won until he also taps out or do they go find and notify him that he's won? I think that would be MY biggest mental challenge. If they don't notify the last guy that he's won, it would continuously be running through my mind that I may have already won and every move I'm making, every struggle I endure, is all for naught.

I can be motivated to beat somebody else, but being motivated to succeed in a game you may have already won (and just don't know it yet) is a mental challenge for me...

The wife and I were wondering the same thing. I would imagine they would be compelled to tell him he won. Not sure what the point would be to leave him out there.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would think that for no other reason than liability the producers would pull the last man ASAP! Imagine the liability if some guy were to get severely mauled or killed during the show, especially when he had been there several days or weeks past the ninth contestant. It would put them at risk when there would be no reason.

I also think that the producers have to be getting some sort of proof of life at least once per day. Imagine a guy falling down a hill, breaking his leg, and then dying a slow horrible death over a weeks time. Even though the tapes constantly tell of the fatigue of being alone there must be some contact with the producers even if it is just one (1) way, where the cameras have direct uplink, or the producers are watching with some serious bada** optics off the coast.

With over 10,000 large predators on the island I don't care what contract releasing the producers from liability they signed, I wouldn't want to take any chances more than absolutely necessary.

Regards,

Doug

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    I also think that the producers have to be getting some sort of proof of life at least once per day. Imagine a guy falling down a hill, breaking his leg, and then dying a slow horrible death over a weeks time.

This is an excellent point. I bet they do have a daily proof of life.

In general, I think Alan's way of surviving is much more sustainable than Sam's. Like someone previously mentioned, Sam hasn't even tried to fish or set up something like Alan and Lucas had. Did Alan give up on his water bottle fish traps and the large basket he made? Wasn't a single mention of it last episode and I figured those would keep bringing in food.

Top Bottom