• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I did a week in the Canadian wilderness in high school. It rained most of the time. We had to hike and canoe everyday, so we couldn't hunker down. One of the guys had hypothermia. It was pretty miserable. I'd do it again!

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    Yea being stuck in the shelter for a couple days at a time would be miserable. Alan kept his sanity by having conversations with the camera. I would fashion a deck of cards from leaves and play solitaire :)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Yea being stuck in the shelter for a couple days at a time would be miserable. Alan kept his sanity by having conversations with the camera. I would fashion a deck of cards from leaves and play solitaire :)

I can't help but think that having some form of entertainment (book, cards, sketch pad, etc.) Would be a major advantage at this point.

I know you're only allowed 10 items, but provided you can get by with the first nine, something like that would really help playing the long game.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Ya gotta keep your mind occupied. Find tasks that will improve your situation. Make some fire sticks, sharpen your tools, clean your gear. Whatever it takes to help keep your mind busy. It would still suck though. That many days of rain would be rough.
    Who do you think will be next to go? I'm thinking Lucas will be next. He has the least amount of body fat!
    Both Lucas and Allen had diarrhea. I'm wondering if they are making themselves sick because they don't have any way to clean up after defecating. Even sand and water might not get that little bit up under your fingernails which you end up eating when you eat with your fingers.
    Chop sticks or Alan's spoon are good ideas.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Awesome show!!!! I'd like to see Obama, Biden, Pilosi (Spelling), Findstein.....etc... but that sat phone would be dead, and we sure as hell wouldn't waste the gas to go pick any of them up.....now that show would break records for viewers

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just watched the last episode and am surprised that no one dropped out. I was expecting them to show one (1) drop every episode and am pleasantly surprised that they didn't. This group has at least made three (3) weeks and is getting into a pretty good grove.

It seems like everyone save Sam is turning to the water for nutrition, and being quite successful with that course of action. This concerns me about Sam. Using the water seems to be an incredibly easy source of food for the long haul.

Lucas is taking some risks with that flimsy boat but finding IIRC ten (10) good clams that is a great haul! They put on that each clam is worth about 15% of daily needs, so that one (1) haul alone was worth a day and a half of food for him.

Alan looks like he filled up a LOT of video rambling on, but if that it what it takes to keep him sane and motivated I am sure the producers are happy with the video. He had a heck of a good haul with a salmon and a crab. He is also good at throwing in a bit of seaweed to round out his diet with roughage. To my thinking that would be very important. He also commented on a single event of diarrhea probably caused by a radical shift in diet. That seems reasonable. There would be a period of bodily adjustment to the new normal.

Lucas seems to be losing it with the diarrhea. That would be a very sad state of affairs to be in.

Mitch has a bad situation with his clothing and gear becoming moldy. He needs to resolve that ASAP or he will have issues.

So right now I am betting on Lucas or Mitch being the next to drop. Lucas seems to be getting depressed with the rain, isolation and health issues while Mitch is getting really bothered by the mold issue. Each one seems to be focusing on their problems and failing to find a way of coping, at least on video. Whereas Sam didn't have much video and Alan is using the camera like Tom Hanks used Wilson, so to me Alan has found a way of coping with the isolation.

We shall see...

Doug

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Alan set up a nice little system with the minnow traps. He's got fish stew for breakfast and bait for fishing.

Sam: quit breaking your fingers trying to catch mice. Get it together. Although the kid has a great attitude.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yeah, Sam's got to figure something out. All that work for one mouse.

Alan is fun to watch. I liked last week (I think) when he broke into "The Raven". He was better then Christopher Walken. I hope his fish basket works as well as the bait traps.

Mitch is in a tough spot without his net, but I have a feeling he will work around it.

Lucas was getting down, but he's a big thinker and is on the move next show. We'll see if the gamble pays off.

It looks COLD next week. I'm glad to see they have made it a month.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    So far I'm betting on Alan, great mental attitude and fish traps seem to be working. I think Sam is next to go because he is not finding food - 1 mouse won't do it. Still why have they not used the bows and arrows?

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Love the show, Sam or Lucas would be next to go IMO. Sam needs to find a source of food ASAP, mice are not it. Lucas needs to stay working on projects, cannot beleve he built a cannoe with a tarp, brilliant.

Two observations

1- somthing to pass the time is very important to have, book, cards, hobby like carving would be handy in that situation.

2- it would seem that finding food in water seems eaisier than game on land, anyone that brought a bow & arrows has yet to make use of them or are gone. But the nets seem to be a great success.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    2- it would seem that finding food in water seems eaisier than game on land, anyone that brought a bow & arrows has yet to make use of them or are gone. But the nets seem to be a great success.

I think this is true in a LOT of places... in biblical times fish was considered a poor-mans food and meats were a rich man's food. Even though our waters have been heavily fished and fish is now more expensive than meat it's still a better bet in this type of situation.

The reason? To hunt you have to be present and actively hunting. Fishing with traps, trot-lines, & nets you can set them and forget them while you do other things. The closest you come to this on land is snares/traps and often times you get a lot less protein and it takes more work to get it (eating tid-bits of squirrel meat off bones isn't exactly easy)...

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Sam had a decent idea with the deadfalls. He just needs to make a really big one and crush a bear. He'd be knee deep in protein for weeks then. AND a bear skin rug for the hovel!
    If I had to bet on the winner it would be on Alan. But all it takes is one moment of weakness and the game is over for that guy.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My confidence in Sam has decreased but I still think he is a contender. As things look now I would put Allen at most likely to succeed and Sam in second. I am guessing that Mitch or Lucas will be next to go. I think Mitch is missing the family too much and Lucas is having a very difficult time with the mental stress. Allen and Sam still seem to be on top of their game mentally with Allen holding up very well.

Looking at the "demographics" of the island there are 9,000 bears, 1,000 mountain lions and 700 wolves. That is a helluva lot of very efficient predators to compete with for large game. In this location I would believe a bow and arrow to be nearly useless. I am not saying it couldn't produce good protein but the other shoppers are far more likely to get the product than the puny human in that densely packed area. (note: my numbers might be off a bit but it was a LOT of big predators.)

I think Sam got into a plan and wasn't able to see his way out. He took the idea of a deadfall, which is a good idea, but failed to consider the work/reward ratio involved. He didn't pack a net so that is out for him. He does have the single filament line with 25 hooks, so he could try to do something similar to Lucas with setting a line. I see this as collateral damage of being alone. There was no one to prod him into reflecting upon the amount of work he was doing for the limited return. We have all made the same type of error, getting an idea in our head and running with it even though there is a glaring error or an easier way to accomplish the goal, but without someone there to point it out and offer constructive criticism we learn the hard way.

I still don't see anyone moving toward a more permanent dwelling...?:nuts: The need for protection from the elements must be a top priority. All that equipment is, to my thinking, for temporary survival! The most permanent thing I have seen is Allen's cooking camp and that is fine, but why doesn't he go beyond? He certainly appears to have the skills.

I am guessing it is very hard for them to focus on doing chores. They seem to stay in a lot. From what I have seen you would be far better off setting yourself into a highly annal-retentive schedule. This basic comes to mind.

#1) get up and wash.
    #2) check the net/lines/traps
    #3) eat (if food available)
    #4) clean clothes (1/2 one day, the other 1/2 the next day)
    #5) break (about an hour)
    #6) sharpen all knifes and axes
    #7) look for bait
    #8) look for other food sources
    #9) work on semipermanent shelter (at least an hour)
    #10) break (about an hour)
    #11) recheck net/lines/traps
    #12) eat (if food available)
    #13) basic maintenance on 1/2 of gear (cycle 1/2 every other day so it isn't monotonous)
    #14) work on special project (outhouse/boat/fishtrap/etc)
    #15) etc etc
    #16) sleep

And that is how I would try to make my day every day bar none! I would try to have a routine that keeps me busy constantly working toward my survival and keeping my mind busy and focused. I would want to schedule in playtime or pure relaxation but for the most part every minute should be spent working toward sustaining my life. If I had a clock or wris****ch I would set time that would make the day more efficient but without one a good written work schedule would be imperative.

Note that I am NO survival expert. I don't even do camping. I learned in the hospital I have a horrible time sleeping without my CPAP machine. These are just observations I have made from watching this show. These guys went into it probably with the mindset for a very long haul, so I would think they would understand the need for a set of chores to be done daily.

I think you have to burn calories to make calories, and that means daily work that is invested in bringing in protein.

I am looking forward to the next show.

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    From what I have seen you would be far better off setting yourself into a highly annal-retentive schedule.
    I think the rain probably plays a role in this...

Options: Work in the driving rain risking sickness or injury due to slippery, wet conditions, moldy clothing etc.
    Stay inside where you can at least maintain body heat and keep the trench-foot at bay.

I think they are choosing the latter: and I'm certain they've been doing that a LOT. It's likely they've already done the whole sharpen the knife thing etc while they're sitting inside all day; the producers just chose to cut that because it's not as exciting as Allen's ramblings etc. They're a month in and only 5 episodes, that's almost 1 full week for an episode, there is a LOT happening that we aren't seeing.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    I know what you are saying about competition with the predators: Looking at the "demographics" of the island there are 9,000 bears, 1,000 mountain lions and 700 wolves. That is a helluva lot of very efficient predators to compete with for large game. In this location I would believe a bow and arrow to be nearly useless.

Why not hunt the other predators like a wolf or mountain lion with bow / arrow and backup spear or build a deadfall or spike trap for a bear? Just thinking out loud

Top Bottom