• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    So I am still contemplating on what 9mm to get this Christmas, I am pretty sure I wanna get a CZ75 from all the good things I have heard :D But then I saw this 9mm on gunbroker, a Browning BDM, I have read they can be fired like a normal semi automatic, or DAO like a true revolver. But after doing some research, I found these guns have been discontinued..... I wanted to ask everyone who has experience with them, if these are really good guns or not? Also i couldn't tell but do they have a decocker? I am guessing the safety levers act as a decocker as well judging by how far the red dot is on the actual grip, similar to the PT92AFS decocker. Also how hard would it be to find hi cap mags for it?

Also does anyone know of any gun stores around here that has any?:D

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    If you are going to buy a browning 9mm I would suggest you look for an early 70's Browning high power. These were made and assembled in Belgium. There are several on Guns america for $500-$700. They are excellent firearms. I believe the BDM was the follow-up to these. Many people seemed to have problems with the trigger systems on the BDM. I think the Browning would hold it's value much better too.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The BDM is a great gun, but it was discontinued in the mid 1990s shortly after its debut. I attribute that to the price and availablity of magazines after the "ban" in 1994. In the late 90s people were asking as much as $175 for a magazine.

Magazines aren't easy to find like Glocks, but you can find them. CDNN Sports, Inc. had LEO-marked standard capacity BDM magazines for $35 the last time I looked. You can also find the neutered 10-rd mags sometimes. I would never pay more than $10 for those unless you are desperate and then maybe $15.

The trigger isn't going to win any prizes, but it could be improved with some TLC from a competent pistol smith. They're accurate, durable, and reliable. Felt recoil is minimal because they have a steel frame (a little heavy).

Yes, the safety also functions as a decocker. The decocker lowers the hammer to a half-cock notch, which the appropriate way to carry the gun (preferably with the safety "off").

The best thing about the BDM is the grip size. It's the slimmest double-stack 9mm pistol ever. I have short fingers, and the thing that attracted me to the BDM is that I can reach the trigger and still have a gun that holds 15+1 rounds. The only gun I've ever held that comes close is the new striker-fired Ruger pistol (whose model number escapes me). If you have small hands and/or short fingers, you'll like the BDM quite a bit.

In the late 90s, you could find them for about $300 frequently at the various online auction and classified sites. I'd say anything between there and $400 is a good deal for a gun that is in really good shape with at least one standard capacity magazine.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    an all steel frame you say? Well that alone sells me on it, I love handguns that are all steel construction over alloy frames. Excluding of course the Beretta 92FS, thats an exception to me.:D Now I just need to find somewhere or someone that has one for sale. Preferably in the all black finish. Looks like I am gonna have to try and save up for both this and the CZ 75 I am wanting :D

Also to the guy who commented about the Browning Hi Power. I would like to get one of those eventually but I am really wanting either a Mark 2 Browning HP, or the Mark 3 model. But i have yet to see any for awhile.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay ... I think it's a steel frame. I never put a magnet on it, and I don't have access to one right now. I know they're easy on the hands when you shoot them, though!

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Yeah I am looking on there right now. I will probably have to pick one up though the internet, I hate doing online deals but looks like I have no choice for this one.

On another note, i was watching Goldeneye today, and noticed at the end of the movie, James Bond uses a Browning BDM on the Goldeneye satellite.:D

hvorqb.jpg

zmfu6s.jpg

2f04pzq.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There are several on gunbroker.com too. I saw one for $375 ranging up to over $600. Lots of magazines too.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I had a friend in the 90's that bought a new one and I shot it quite a few times. I absolutely loved it. He sold back in 2000 or so and it never let him down. I wish I would have bought it.

Browning BDM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's a really good article, sir. Thank you for the pointer.

The only thing I noticed is that mine have the mode selector, but the decocker lowers to a half-cock, as is attributed only to the model with the decocker only. You can't tell unless you look closely (like with a CZ75B), but the hammer is definitely not all the way down and the trigger is not as far forward as when the hammer is fully down.

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    That's a really good article, sir. Thank you for the pointer.

The only thing I noticed is that mine have the mode selector, but the decocker lowers to a half-cock, as is attributed only to the model with the decocker only. You can't tell unless you look closely (like with a CZ75B), but the hammer is definitely not all the way down and the trigger is not as far forward as when the hammer is fully down.

I never noticed that. I have to watch those attention to details more.;)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I never noticed that. I have to watch those attention to details more.;)

The only reason I noticed that detail is because of my freakishly short fingers. A tenth of an inch (sometimes less) here or there makes a huge difference in terms of trigger reach to me.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I have fired a BDM once, not spectacular. Sorry to say, its a Browning, along with the Colt 2000, both guns that had a good chance, but were crippled in the market by mediocre demand and the AWB. I had an opportunity to get a BDM. I thought manna from heaven, mags should be available due to low numbers of the gun being available. I was super wrong. Mags are relatively expensive and rare and spare parts are critically missing.

It shot wonderful, a huge plus in it's effect, but its trigger was weird, mushy to me. It was unremarkable to me, but at the same time, something cool.

Blue, I would stick to the CZ project. There is a huge following with them, lots available in the way of mags and parts. Familiarity and durability (the BDM has had some issues according to folks, fragile parts due to the complex nature of the DM system) are the key to success with the CZ. Plus CZ=Czech Hotness! Think about it! Do you want a hot czech gal that barely speaks english or do you want a dumpy, yet complex minded marching band gal from Browning? :D:D

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Ouch, if parts are hard to find, and the gun is fragile. I really don't have an interest in it then.... thanks for the heads up! I will stick to just getting me a Pre B CZ75, as i have located one. Bummer it's so far away, but it will be worth the drive to get it. :D

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Its not fragile per sae, just very complex. It can break easily if one uses alot of plus P and stuff. The complex parts are few and far between.

Its always worth the trip for a Czech girl!

Top Bottom