• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I started out carrying an empty gun just to get used to the weight and how to move with it. I knew at some point I would have to take the training wheels off and load a mag and make it hot. It was a bit unnerving and that isn't all that bad of a thing. You should always have a healthy respect for your firearm but don't let that fear or uncertainty prevent you from letting your gun do it's job.

Another +1 for the quality holster. And, learning NOT to slam-holster the gun. Too easy for a shirt tail or something to cause a ND. Take a quick peek before putting it home. That is one of the reasons I do like a thumb safety is that I ride my finger underneath it to help insure doubly that it cannot fire when holstering no matter what I am wearing.

BillyB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    At 7 yards, a bad guy will probably be on you before you can break holster let alone rack the slide.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Who carries without one in the chamber?
    I'll tell you - the one who will be at a tactical disadvantage in a confrontation, that's who.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Nobody I know of carries without having one in the chamber.
    Get some training until you feel comfortable or pick something different to carry.

Like was said earlier, you might as well carry a dull knife or try throwing a rock as carry a gun if you don't.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I always carry with one in the chamber with the safety on not to mention extra clips.

magazine-vs-clip.jpg

STOP CALLING MAGAZINES "CLIPS."

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    External safeties have NO business on a defensive handgun.

If you understand the internal safety devices on your firearm, you will understand that it cannot fire unless you make it. Most have firing pin block safeties, which prevent the firing pin or striker to contact the primer unless the trigger is pulled.

It is not a good idea to carry unchambered. There is no good reason to do it, and it will decrease your survivability. If you can't carry chambered, don't carry at all. You might as well not.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    BOOO!!! :noway: :noway: :noway:

I train, compete and carry cocked and locked. It is the best method FOR ME.

I still hold that belief. If it works for you, fine. It doesn't for me.

Same thing with OC. I can't think of any practical reason to CC. I think everyone should OC, but if they don't want to, that's fine, too.

None of my handguns have external safeties, and all my long guns are always kept on fire. I can't remember ever having used a safety, apart from the military.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I still hold that belief. If it works for you, fine. It doesn't for me.

Same thing with OC. I can't think of any practical reason to CC. I think everyone should OC, but if they don't want to, that's fine, too.

None of my handguns have external safeties, and all my long guns are always kept on fire. I can't remember ever having used a safety, apart from the military.

What handguns do you carry?

Are your long guns Condition Zero with one in the chamber? What are they?

Reel Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    right on

I like all the comments, I think they are 100% correct. Now for my :twocents: "if you don’t carry prepared, might as well leave your gun in the glove box". :patriot:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    What handguns do you carry?

Are your long guns Condition Zero with one in the chamber? What are they?

I carry a Glock 19, and a Kel Tec PF9 as a BUG. Used to carry a Sig Sauer P226. I will start carrying a Glock 22 soon for work. I finally got a job where I can OC!

I keep a Mossberg 590A1 loaded, unchambered, safety off.

I have a WASR GP10/63 unloaded, mags ready to go and accessible.

M91/30

K98k

Before too long here I'll have a CMMG 9mmM4, integrally suppressed. That will be the go to HD gun.

Adding a SW5 soon, too. That will be HD until the CMMG is done. Now, I use the G19 with a 33 rd mag.

Top Bottom