• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    For me, it also depends on if we're home at the time or not.

If we come home and a door's open - I'm going to wait on LEO to come clear the house. No good reason for ME, someone wholly untrained to clear a home, should walk into a situation where some unknown number of people may be currently inside my home.

If we ARE home - and I/we "think" there may be a prowler, I MAY go investigate. If I KNOW there's someone in the house who shouldn't be, I will do my absolute best to protect my wife and my daughter (bedrooms are all close together).

Again, I am wholly untrained in how to clear a house. It would be foolish for me to attempt to clear a house when there may be a person (or more) already inside.

My FIRST earthly priority is to help ensure the safety of my wife. Second - the lives of my children.

In OUR house, walking down the hallway away from the bedrooms towards the living room / computer room / kitchen / garages - and away from my defensive position just isn't smart.

You may ridicule all the "wimpy" men you want for wanting the police to do things for them. That doesn't bother me.

But we ALL need to realize what our limitations, strengths, and weaknesses are. I am not a LEO / MIL. I do not know how to properly and safely clear a house.

I WILL do my absolute best to take care of my own, though. But I also know that part of taking care of them is to not do anything stupid.

-J-

No one can clear your own home better than you can, training or not. You have the distinct advantage in your own home.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    No good reason for ME, someone wholly untrained to clear a home, should walk into a situation where some unknown number of people may be currently inside my home.

Again, I am wholly untrained in how to clear a house.

I am not a LEO / MIL. I do not know how to properly and safely clear a house.

-J-

You can easily fix this problem you know.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    All responsible,capable gun owners should clear their own home in hope of being able to save everyone else trouble in the future,and to save taxpayer dollars...

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If I ever called the cops to come clear my home, I don't look at is as somebody else protecting my family. My family is being protected by ME wherever we are gathered and waiting. All the stuff and junk we own is on the OTHER side of the door...and is all "Insured". Let the cops run off (or drag off) whoever and let insurance pay me for whatever goes missing. My family is safe with me and nothing on the other side of that door is worth any of their lives. They are staying with me. Cops can do the rest. I ain't chasing nobody.

This use to be unacceptable behaviour for an "able bodied man". I don't have much tolerance for a women like this either. We all know people like this.
    Was your comment inspired by mine?

Either way, if I have my fam with me and who knows what (or where, or how many, or what they're armed with) on the OTHER side of a door...yeah, my butt is staying put. I've got the IMPORTANT stuff on my side of the door and I'll defend it there.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Was your comment inspired by mine?

Either way, if I have my fam with me and who knows what (or where, or how many, or what they're armed with) on the OTHER side of a door...yeah, my butt is staying put. I've got the IMPORTANT stuff on my side of the door and I'll defend it there.

No, it was not.

I was thinking more in terms of a person checking their property out whenever they hear a noise. I don't know your circumstance or capabilities. If somebody is or was in the house, then police should be called because a crime had been committed at that point. If you know someone is in the house, then I agree, hunker down, be quiet, and let them come to you. Whether or not you should give any fair warning is debatable.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Many have never been anywhere and have never done anything in their lives. They let their wifes order them around. Never been in a true fist fight . Reality to them is a movie. And they get ill if they hear an argument. Their hero's are peirs morgan, richard simons and the big mouth blow hard chris mathews.:laugh: sickening ain't it?

You hit the nail on the head (not that those wimps would even know what that means). The crap that is on network television prime time is just a bunch of 20 something, metro sexual wuss hopping around on some type of situation comedy show. If you watch enough of that stuff, then reality does get warped. It seems like gays and nerds are the hot ticket what everyone wants to watch these days. I bet the guys on those shows sit down to pee! The anits seem to fit right in with that crowd.

Last edited:

MetalMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Howard County
    This may have been asked already, so I'm sorry if it has. Would a LEO be able to quickly distinguish between an intruder holding a weapon and a homeowner clearing his own house? From my observations, police roll up on B&E's in silent mode. If I'm walking around my house after my wife has called 911, checking for bad guys with gun in hand, and a responing LEO sees me through the window, what's is a likely outcome?
    Or,
    What if my family is barricaded in the bedroom, still having pistol in hand and the LEO come through clearing the home. Opens the door, see a gun and then what?

I'm looking for insight from some of the LEO's out there to how they'd handle these situations?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    "Fair warning" was the locked door, imo...
    free-poster-xp3fna0670-WELCOME-TO-M.jpg

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    All responsible,capable gun owners should clear their own home in hope of being able to save everyone else trouble in the future,and to save taxpayer dollars...
    I clear my house every time I return to it.
    The guys/gals at the PD know that if I call 911 to report an intruder it will be after the shooting stops.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I've stated this before, but I pretty much have to clear the main floor in order to retrieve my children from their rooms. Then, proceeding to their rooms, I pretty much have to clear that area as well. Guess I'm clearing my house :dunno:. The upside is some conveniently placed blue LED night lights give a reasonable ambient light to allow me to see the house as I move through it.

All of our bedrooms are on one level, but we have a 4 level home (tri-level on a basement). Different living spaces on each level, and very often, the kids are on a different level than I. We also have some advantageous layouts which give us a leg up on anybody who might be in the house.

No one can clear your own home better than you can, training or not. You have the distinct advantage in your own home.

I'm very glad you said this. I tire of being constantly told I should be calling 9-1-1 every time I hear a bump in the night. We investigate all the bumps ourselves. Our locations has made us the target of several thefts and I'm not about to let the ****ers walk off with more of my hard-earned stuff while I wait for local LE to roll up on scene.

We have a dog, which helps. He can sense someone else is present before we can see/hear. And he's alerted us to noises outside that were not normal to our neighborhood. Of course, he also barks at nothing on occasion and scares the crap outta us.

Right click on the little white snowflake-looking thing at the bottom of one j706's posts. Then it will give you the option to add reputation.

It's the Scales of Justice. Not a snowflake. ;)

Top Bottom