While at the range on any given day......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikuhl

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    Indy
    I have offered to let people shoot mine and I have had folks offer to let me shoot theirs. It's pretty common actually. Gun people are pretty cool like that for the most part.

One slightly strange fella took one of my 1911 mags once and loaded it up with his lead cast reloads "made from wheel weights" then tried really hard to get me to shoot them in my Colt. I declined as politely as possible.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    The round makes a big difference. If someone wants to shoot the 9mm I'll let them go through a magazine. The .308 is a one rounder. At about $1.30 a shot that one stings a little.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    I have shot a few different guns at my local range that randoms next to me were shooting. One guy was shooting a 10mm Glock, and the hair on my arm was literally standing up from them noise it was making. I asked him about it, so he let me shoot a few rounds through it (I fell in love with 10mm after that...not Glocks). I didn't ask if I could, I just inquired about the gun, he then offered so I did. I let him shoot mine as well.

Also traded shots on a walther P22 for my Ruger 22/45. I never ask, but if it is offered, I take advantage. I don't mind having others shoot mine.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I can't even count how many people have shot my guns, many of them being strangers I just met at the range. I have also literally shot hundreds of other people's guns this way as well.
    The shooting community has so many great people and I have met some very good people at the ranges. But the media wont let that be known since us gun owners are just a bunch of nuts that want to kill everyone :rolleyes:

Pretty much as long as the shooter shows that they can safely handle a firearm I have no problem letting them put some rounds through whatever I may have with me that day.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    That is half the fun of going to the range.

I can't remember the last time I went to the range and didn't let someone try at least one of my guns. I do like to watch them to make sure they are safe. After a little conversation to get a feeling for the person, I usually offer and don't expect them to provide the ammo. I've shot many guns this way myself. It's good "gun Karma".

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I can't remember a time in the past year and half that I haven't let someone shoot one of my guns when I'm at the range if they showed an interest in it. I find it's almost as much fun watching someone shoot my guns as it is if I shoot them plus it's a good way to see others techniques and watch how the gun functions. So in a way, it's kind of a learning experience for me too.

On the up side, as others have said, you get fire all kinds of guns you otherwise would never get to shoot.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have often let folks shoot my guns and often offer before they ask. I watch and know when someone is safe and worthy. It has sparked excellent conversation and new acquaintances. I seldom shoot others guns. Not sure why but just not something I do very much.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    After reading a post by another member, I'm just wondering if any of you (while out shooting) would allow someone to shoot a few rounds through your firearm?
    I've been out quite a few times when someone has came in or was already there, and they were shooting a firearm that I've either haven't seen before or was researching on to purchase. When asking questions about it, I asked if I purchased the ammo, could I shoot a few rounds. Majority said yes. I've also have been asked the same and have no problem doing this. I just see it as a way of helping others make up their minds on their next possible gun purchase.

I have, several times.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    This is one of those things that I do miss a lot since I normally shoot at home. When I am at Purdue, I shoot at Applied Ballistics, and I have had similar experiences. It really started with my 15-22. People were always coming over and asking questions about it, so I'd offer to let them shoot it. Then they would offer to let me shoot theirs. Very cool way to meet range friends. I wouldn't ever ask to shoot one though, but everyone is different. I wouldn't be necessarily offended if someone asked to shoot something of mine, but it's never happened.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Yep, all of the above with the appropriate above warnings.
    Shot several guns I'd never get a chance to fondle otherwise.
    In my case, this has always been at membership only ranges.
    Most gun owners are a friendly bunch and love to share their passion.
    Contrary to what the media would have the world believe.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    I own a couple of guns, most notably an M1 Garand and a Saiga 12 but a few others have popped up, that I have had people walk up to me and very reverently ask "I've always wanted to shoot one of those....can I?"
    I load it, chamber it, and safe it (when applicable). They get one mag/ clip for free. I usally ask what they are shooting, and they are much more than willing to let me test out their CX4 or PSL.
    At the end of the day, if you are comfortable shooting next to them, why can't you shoot with them?

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    At the end of the day, if you are comfortable shooting next to them, why can't you shoot with them?

Well said, I agree sharing is part of the fun.

But in the back of my mind there is still the disturbing story of Andy219's Ruger 1911. There will be no crotch rubbing with any of my firearms. That is a deal breaker.:nono:

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    Go to a NWI meet and shoot, and people will force you to shoot their guns!

I own a lot of high end and unique guns, so people always ask me about them. Then after a little conversation, so after i get a feel for the person, I will offer to let them fire a few rounds. Now before I let them shoot, I will give them a rundown of the guns operation and safety features.

But for me it really depends on the person, if they are cool and interested in the gun go for it. If they just want to tell me about all the inaccurate crap they read on the internet,about a gun i own, I just tell them to get lost. But that's just me.

tblosl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Evansville
    This is a pretty regular thing. Most days that I go to the range I shoot something new and I am always willing to let someone put a few rounds through mine. I think it is just part of learning and helping others learn.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    On one of my first trips to the conservation club, one of the other members came up to me and gave me some shooting pointers. He then brought over his Mark III and let me shoot several magazines through it. I was still new to guns then. I liked his Mark III and I especially liked how accurate and cheap it was to shoot.

I had been shooting 38 special and 357 rounds through my SP101. I was excited when he told me I could get a box of 525 rounds of 22 LR for around $20.

I ended up getting a good deal on a Mark III a couple weeks later. Had he not let me shoot his I probably wouldn't have even noticed it in the gun case.

I'd have no problem letting a responsible person shoot my guns if they are polite about it. Even more inclined if they have their own ammo for the bigger caliber guns.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I usually offer if I notice someone looking at something I brought as long as they are being polite and using good range safety. I also have a trick to get to shoot others guns. I have three guns that people love to shoot (.50 Desert Eagle, S&W 500 and Kel-Tec KSG). I always bring one of these to the range so if someone has something cool that I want to shoot I will pull one out and shoot off a couple of rounds. That normally gets a converstation going then it is an easy trade. No matter what people are shooting they always want to shoot these, I guess thats really why I bought them.

Tink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2012
    So. Bend
    I usually offer if I notice someone looking at something I brought as long as they are being polite and using good range safety. I also have a trick to get to shoot others guns. I have three guns that people love to shoot (.50 Desert Eagle, S&W 500 and Kel-Tec KSG). I always bring one of these to the range so if someone has something cool that I want to shoot I will pull one out and shoot off a couple of rounds. That normally gets a converstation going then it is an easy trade. No matter what people are shooting they always want to shoot these, I guess thats really why I bought them.

I've been wanting to test a desert eagle for the longest. KSG is on my list as well

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Go to a NWI meet and shoot, and people will force you to shoot their guns!

I own a lot of high end and unique guns, so people always ask me about them. Then after a little conversation, so after i get a feel for the person, I will offer to let them fire a few rounds. Now before I let them shoot, I will give them a rundown of the guns operation and safety features.

But for me it really depends on the person, if they are cool and interested in the gun go for it. If they just want to tell me about all the inaccurate crap they read on the internet,about a gun i own, I just tell them to get lost. But that's just me.

Ask many of the nwi into people. I often force others to shoot my cool stuff. :D I'll be there Sunday with my new to me fs 2k that I'm betting will get shot alot.:rockwoot:

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I've been wanting to test a desert eagle for the longest. KSG is on my list as well

Both are fun. I generally take the ksg out now. It is way cheaper and people just love to see it. It has several hundred rounds through it and only about 20 are from me. The DE doesn't go out much anymore. It has several hundred rounds through it also and I just want to keep it looking good. Totally an impractical gun but really fun.

I am always willing to share at the range, especially with a fellow ingoer.

Top Bottom